Should referees not work their Alma Mater's varsity games?

thsrocks

Should the referee scratch himself from his Alma Mater's games  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should the referee scratch himself from his Alma Mater's games

• Yes, always scratch himself from Alma Mater's games
    • No, he may work his Alma Mater's games
    • It doesn't matter as long as he is good!

In Louisville many officials are local school graduates and often work their Alma Mater's games. Should they take themselves off the list to be considered for these games?

I know one personally who scratches himself from his Alma Mater's games so their no possible accusation of impropriety.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but for a completely different reason...reverse bias. I've seen local ref that will bend over backwards to not be biased and in doing so is actually biased against the school he played for.

EXACTLY, I used to officiate and I had to check myself to not do that. I did have a JV coach once tell me before a game ( I know where you went to school), my response was, I'll call the game as I see it, I might make a bad call, probably will somewhere during the game, but I won't make a bad call on purpose, to help ANY team.

If you still live in the town, then I could see you scratching yourself. If you no longer live there, then I bet the majority of the fans, players, and coaches would not even realize it.

If I showed up at Batavia's game to ref, probably less then ten people in the building would know who I was.