Should referees not work their Alma Mater's varsity games?

thsrocks

Should the referee scratch himself from his Alma Mater's games  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should the referee scratch himself from his Alma Mater's games

• Yes, always scratch himself from Alma Mater's games
    • No, he may work his Alma Mater's games
    • It doesn't matter as long as he is good!

Mr. Cat works games at his alma mater and his kids' alma maters. Everyone has graduated and is long removed from their respective schools.

It hasn't been a problem in all the years he has ref'd or umpired so I don't see anything changing. None of the coaches or ADs seem to have a problem with him and he knows most, if not all of them.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Cat works games at his alma mater and his kids' alma maters. Everyone has graduated and is long removed from their respective schools.

It hasn't been a problem in all the years he has ref'd or umpired so I don't see anything changing. None of the coaches or ADs seem to have a problem with him and he knows most, if not all of them.

That seems reasonable. Maybe an "expiration date" should be added to their kid's alma maters. I think removing yourself from your own alma mater's games just removes any sense of wrong-doing (even if there is none). One big call, in one big game can blow that all up.

Most associations will ask officials if there are any conflicts of interest or school affiliations and most officials will self-select and opt out of schools.

Another factor to consider here is that there is a shortage of officials across the state. There are Lexington guys traveling up to the 10th region on a daily basis, for example. Do we really want to turn away people just because they graduated from a school 25 years ago? If so, more people need to step up.

His credentials of being an OVC official and a replacement NFL official has nothing to do with where he graduated from. I still wouldn't do the game.

If you can't officiate a game of a school you graduated from 25 years ago with no bias I'd say you aren't a very good official.

Official shouldn't ref where he has a personal relationship. I don't think graduating from there 15 or 20 years ago qualifies as that.

How about where their kids went, their wife went, their nephew plays, their co-workers' child plays, etc., etc. I think a good official knows where these relationships lie and can make that decision.

The last 2 years mayfield has played Corbin at Lindsey Wilson college, I highly doubt the officials were from WKA, probably from NKOA, cowboy fanatic would you have a problem with that? What's your agenda here?

No agenda. Just an honest and legitimate comment. Him graduating from Mayfield are not the only ties he has with the school or community.