DeSales (OH) vs. 5A #1 Covington Catholic 9-22-17

colonel-fan

Who wins?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Covington Catholic
    • Saint Francis DeSales (OH)

Is this a "good matchup" for DeSales, as you said CCH was for Beechwood last week as well?

I'm going to say the Colonels will have their hands full with the Stallions:

1999 SFD 33 CovCath 7

2000 SFD 42 CovCath 19

2001 SFD 36 CovCath 33

2002 SFD 34 CovCath 6

2015 SFD 28 CovCath 7

2016 SFD 42 CovCath 17

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to say the Colonels will have their hands full with the Stallions:

1999 SFD 33 CovCath 7

2000 SFD 42 CovCath 19

2001 SFD 36 CovCath 33

2002 SFD 34 CovCath 6

2015 SFD 28 CovCath 7

2016 SFD 42 CovCath 17

I'm going to say this is the perfect combo of a down DeSales team and a very good Colonel team.

Colonels by 14+.

So the Colonels make up 39+ in one season?

I hope that's the case.

Math is my friend.

This DeSales team is a mess and is having a lot of issues. They need a great running QB to make their deal go --- not in the cards this year. He is no threat to keep it, so their tailback isn't as effective.

Colonels drill them.

Cov Cath's defensive backs weren't as good last year as they are this year, plus they had no one who could match the speed of DeSales' running back (not sure if the RB is back this year or not). All three of the offensive touchdowns for DeSales in the first half last year came on plays of 70 yards or more. Cov Cath managed to keep DeSales to a 4 point lead with 5 seconds left in the first half, but then they went for a Hail Mary attempt on the last play and gave up a 105 yard touchdown on a pick-6 from the opposite endzone...totally deflated the team going into the locker room at the half. They kicked off to DeSales to start the 2nd half, and DeSales promptly marched down the field and scored again. It was a nail in the coffin, and Cov Cath didn't manage any points in the second half.

The takeaway from that, if the Colonels can prevent big plays by the Stallions and not turn the ball over, the game is MUCH more manageable. Cov Cath also has approved in virtually all facets this year. They also have a much improved mental game. Plus, like Mentsch said, DeSales is struggling and has taken at least a couple of steps back.

I'm not sure whether or not I think Cov Cath will "drill" them...I sure hope they do...but I definitely think the good guys win this one.

Cov Cath's defensive backs weren't as good last year as they are this year, plus they had no one who could match the speed of DeSales' running back (not sure if the RB is back this year or not). All three of the offensive touchdowns for DeSales in the first half last year came on plays of 70 yards or more. Cov Cath managed to keep DeSales to a 4 point lead with 5 seconds left in the first half, but then they went for a Hail Mary attempt on the last play and gave up a 105 yard touchdown on a pick-6 from the opposite endzone...totally deflated the team going into the locker room at the half. They kicked off to DeSales to start the 2nd half, and DeSales promptly marched down the field and scored again. It was a nail in the coffin, and Cov Cath didn't manage any points in the second half.

The takeaway from that, if the Colonels can prevent big plays by the Stallions and not turn the ball over, the game is MUCH more manageable. Cov Cath also has approved in virtually all facets this year. They also have a much improved mental game. Plus, like Mentsch said, DeSales is struggling and has taken at least a couple of steps back.

I'm not sure whether or not I think Cov Cath will "drill" them...I sure hope they do...but I definitely think the good guys win this one.

Last year's running back for DeSales that killed the Colonels is in college. EKU, I believe.

According to MaxPreps, Desales is ranked #20 in the State of Ohio after this weeks loss.. They were ranked #6 last week.. They're ranked 296th nationally.. In comparison, CC is ranked #2 in Ky and #152 nationally.. Desales has a 43.7 rating and a 24.0 strength of schedule while CC has a 50.0 rating and a 26.7 strength of schedule.. All signs point to CC in this one, especially at home..

According to MaxPreps, Desales is ranked #20 in the State of Ohio after this weeks loss.. They were ranked #6 last week.. They're ranked 296th nationally.. In comparison, CC is ranked #2 in Ky and #152 nationally.. Desales has a 43.7 rating and a 24.0 strength of schedule while CC has a 50.0 rating and a 26.7 strength of schedule.. All signs point to CC in this one, especially at home..

Calpreps says Covington Catholic 31-17. Should be a good ballgame.

Hm. You're right when the overall rankings for the state of Ohio say DeSales is at 20, but when you click on division III they are a little further down. Anyone know why the drop? Or am I reading it wrong?