Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Racial Divide

Featured Replies

Like I referenced earlier, the best thing you (this is a general you) can do is not tell people their problems aren't real or that you don't believe something is happening because you don't see it. No amount of interaction with a different race is going to make that okay for someone who does experience it.

 

Deuce, I've witnessed it from both sides. I know it exists. I would never minimize someones experience and write it off as nonesence. Just as I would appreciate that no-one does mine.

  • Replies 47
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
With all the scholars on here on race relations , I agree.

 

This is not a helpful post to the conversation I want to have. I can't tell you how to feel but if it isn't a constructive post please don't let the thread get sidetracked by vocalizing an intentionally divisive post. Thanks.

The difference in culture styles automatically turn some off against each other. For instance ( and these are generalities, you cat speak to each individual personalities) black culture is louder, kind of in your face, while white culture is quieter, reserved.those automatically clash. Neither is wrong.

The difference in culture styles automatically turn some off against each other. For instance ( and these are generalities, you cat speak to each individual personalities) black culture is louder, kind of in your face, while white culture is quieter, reserved.those automatically clash. Neither is wrong.

 

Kind of a BROAD BRUSH you've got there.

Kind of a BROAD BRUSH you've got there.

 

You can't filter the discussion or it goes nowhere are we talking or playing around it. We can just exchange pleasantries if you like or are we going to have a open, honest discussion and listen to each other. I'm not saying those things, I have heard them. I said it was generalities, you didn't quote my whole post, dont pick half a sentence. I personally like loud. Just sit back in public and observe! I'm trying to point out that I've heard black people say that white peoples are stuck up and prissy, think they are all that. I've heard white people say that blacks are loud and obnoxious. It's a difference in culture. These are things that divide us. Obviously it's a lack of acceptance or unwillingness to not judge but it happens. If we cant speak to our differences then why have the discussion at all?

You can't filter the discussion or it goes nowhere are we talking or playing around it. We can just exchange pleasantries if you like or are we going to have a open, honest discussion and listen to each other. I'm not saying those things, I have heard them. I said it was generalities, you didn't quote my whole post, dont pick half a sentence. I personally like loud. Just sit back in public and observe! I'm trying to point out that I've heard black people say that white peoples are stuck up and prissy, think they are all that. I've heard white people say that blacks are loud and obnoxious. It's a difference in culture. These are things that divide us. Obviously it's a lack of acceptance or unwillingness to not judge but it happens. If we cant speak to our differences then why have the discussion at all?

 

I don't think pointing out everything one side thinks/says about the other does anything at all to fix the issues... Most of us already know those.

I don't think pointing out everything one side thinks/says about the other does anything at all to fix the issues... Most of us already know those.

 

So do we just hold hands and sing we are the world? Ok the divide is real. It's been placed solidly as foundation for some, not so much for some others. People are not ready to not be hurt by open discussion. I don't have the answers just observations. Blacks and whites need to get it together, no offense meant. I'm out.

You can't filter the discussion or it goes nowhere are we talking or playing around it. We can just exchange pleasantries if you like or are we going to have a open, honest discussion and listen to each other. I'm not saying those things, I have heard them. I said it was generalities, you didn't quote my whole post, dont pick half a sentence. I personally like loud. Just sit back in public and observe! I'm trying to point out that I've heard black people say that white peoples are stuck up and prissy, think they are all that. I've heard white people say that blacks are loud and obnoxious. It's a difference in culture. These are things that divide us. Obviously it's a lack of acceptance or unwillingness to not judge but it happens. If we cant speak to our differences then why have the discussion at all?

 

You say you've heard whites say that blacks are loud and obnoxious, do you think blacks feel they are loud and obnoxious? You also said blacks think whites are stuck up and prissy, probably believe all whites drive a Lexus and only wear polo shirts as well. That's painting with a broad brush, that's what I'm talking about.

 

Yes generalities are made both ways, but in my opinion they do nothing to further the discussion. All it does is continue to broaden the divide. What I think everyone in these discussions miss are the things we all have in common, instead they focus on our differences. We have differences and there is nothing wrong with that...not sure why our differences need to be judged to be right or wrong instead of just being differences. We need to just accept the differences and find the common ground between people.

 

There are people on this board that I disagree with nearly 100% of the time in one forum (maybe politics or NFL) then agree with them almost universally on another (maybe music or religion), I don't allow our difference of opinion on one to separate us on another. Too many times both blacks and whites get so hung up on their differences that's all they can see and never realize what they have in common...because they are unwilling to give each other the benefit of the doubt in one area because they disagree in another.

You say you've heard whites say that blacks are loud and obnoxious, do you think blacks feel they are loud and obnoxious? You also said blacks think whites are stuck up and prissy, probably believe all whites drive a Lexus and only wear polo shirts as well. That's painting with a broad brush, that's what I'm talking about.

 

Yes generalities are made both ways, but in my opinion they do nothing to further the discussion. All it does is continue to broaden the divide. What I think everyone in these discussions miss are the things we all have in common, instead they focus on our differences. We have differences and there is nothing wrong with that...not sure why our differences need to be judged to be right or wrong instead of just being differences. We need to just accept the differences and find the common ground between people.

 

There are people on this board that I disagree with nearly 100% of the time in one forum (maybe politics or NFL) then agree with them almost universally on another (maybe music or religion), I don't allow our difference of opinion on one to separate us on another. Too many times both blacks and whites get so hung up on their differences that's all they can see and never realize what they have in common...because they are unwilling to give each other the benefit of the doubt in one area because they disagree in another.

 

The statements I made are called a primer. You throw a statement out there that is true, not true, general, not general then you discuss why,how, how to fix. We can't even get by a slightly contentious primer. We cant talk about race like adults. Like I said before we want to talk around the real things and play nice. I'm not pc, all I'm going to do is offend everyone so I'm not going to continue. I'll bow out and apologize for anything misconstrued. I truly hope we as Americans can get it together.

Well, judging by the last several posts, it seems that FTN has ruffled some feathers. Just pointing out difference in cultures, is not divisive or offensive.....unless you are looking to be offended. Although, I would probably argue that cultural differences usually derive from geographic differences instead of actual racial differences. I will also add that getting caught up in being part of a group, totally erodes individuality. Individuality is one of the many things that has made this country exceptional.

The difference in culture styles automatically turn some off against each other. For instance ( and these are generalities, you cat speak to each individual personalities) black culture is louder, kind of in your face, while white culture is quieter, reserved.those automatically clash. Neither is wrong.

 

I Think I know what you are getting at. In general, urban people and many blacks are, are more assertive and persistent in dealings I had with them in that urban setting. In rural and less populated areas and, in general, my experiences are both whites and blacks are more passive aggressive. This are those that are in poverty. In middle class, there isn't much of a difference because, in general, middle class know the hidden rules of formal settings, such as a school or government building.

 

Those are my experiences in those settings and again, it is general.

 

I do believe racism exists and hasn't improved a lot. I believe the real issue on a whole is socioeconomics and not color. But I have not experienced being of any color than a white male, so I cannot relay any personal experience.

 

The closest I have ever come was in 2006 when I was in Jackson, Mississippi assisting schools with Katrina overflow of students, I was placed in a school that was 100% black, with a 90% black staff. A middle school student, grabbed my tie in the hallway during a class change and told me I didn't belong there. I firmly told him to let go of the tie and two black teachers quickly handled the student. That was probably racial, I can never know. The teachers got him out of there and I assume handled whatever issue he had. I was there 5 months and the only issue I had like that. He may have not liked old people or someone in a tie. That was fleeting and quick and not a lifetime of issues.

Until both sides are willing to listen to the other nothing will change.

 

I know racism exists, I have never said that it didn't. I don't believe it is as rampant or as widespread as some indicate.

 

On the opposite side I believe that there are people who have a vested interest in keeping the racial divide in America alive.

There is a huge racial divide. It's worse than I have ever known.

Didn't read every post , I think it's better , kinda like the world , more polarized , more exteremes , but the extremes are shrinking on both " sides " and the middle is growing . The Duece made a great post , accept that there is racism still alive and well , but don't stroke it , don't fall into the trap that is hate . It will leave you bitter and empty .

  • Author

Edward Snowden made a great point on a podcast that resonated with me.

 

He said, "in the United States it is not enough to have just have majority support for position of change. You have to actually have a pretty commanding majority to be able to be able to force the government/people to make a change. The problem is that if the government is clever enough to how it violates people's rights, if they're careful enough to only target people who are disenfranchised or disempowered then you will never have majority support for reforming those positions until there is a majority awareness of them. The only people who can speak and illustrate that these injustices are occurring are the "them" and the "us". They don't look like the majority, they don't speak like the majority therefore they don't belong to the majority. Because of that it becomes very difficult to affect change."

 

Those words hit home for me and made way too much sense. The racial divide will always be present and his words illustrate why it will always be present IMO. I do think it is way better than people think.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.