Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Racial Divide

Featured Replies

We have taken huge strides in regard to race relations, which is terrific. What's not terrific is that we still have a really long way to go.

  • Replies 47
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all the scholars on here on race relations , I agree.

 

You don't need scholars to discuss race relations SF, you need everyday people from all ethnic groups discussing their realities, their backgrounds, their stories. Everyone needs to learn to listen and hear each other.

You don't need scholars to discuss race relations SF, you need everyday people from all ethnic groups discussing their realities, their backgrounds, their stories. Everyone needs to learn to listen and hear each other.

 

The listening part is what's lacking. Too many people want to tell folks things like "it's not so bad", "but it's better than it used to be", "you're too sensitive", "you're offended too easy", etc.

The listening part is what's lacking. Too many people want to tell folks things like "it's not so bad", "but it's better than it used to be", "you're too sensitive", "you're offended too easy", etc.

 

Didn't see any of those posts?

The listening part is what's lacking. Too many people want to tell folks things like "it's not so bad", "but it's better than it used to be", "you're too sensitive", "you're offended too easy", etc.

 

Those things you reference can be true from one persons perspective while being hurtful to another. That's why we need to listen and hear each other.

Didn't see any of those posts?

I wasn't accusing anyone of doing so on this thread (even though it does happen on this site). But if you haven't seen or heard someone try to make the argument that racism doesn't exist or isn't happening by using one of those statements, you haven't been paying very good attention.

Didn't see any of those posts?

 

Not in THIS thread, but they are rampant on this board.

Those things you reference can be true from one persons perspective while being hurtful to another. That's why we need to listen and hear each other.

 

Yes. Much of it is about perspective and experience. And understanding the other person's side rather than dismissing it, would go a long way in improving things

By the way POLITICS separate and divide. There is nothing about politics that joins and heals as far as race. They means to divide for the vote, pit us against each other for control. It's ugly. That's my only comment on that part.

Not in THIS thread, but they are rampant on this board.

 

I get that the broad brushes come out sometimes. I'm probably guilty of some of that as a lot of us are. I've never meant to purposely offend, only being honest from my experience and point of view. I've had a lifetime of racial interaction. Played 3 sports from 9 years old, which put you in a good mixed group of kids. Always, always had as many if not more black friends as white, not acquaintances...the kind of friends that didn't knock just came in the door. I have lived with black families in black communities, have been married twice, both black women, all my kids are interracial. I deal with more black people in a day than some white people do in a month. Heck 99.9% of the time I'm the only white person in my house. Does that make me a race expert, no. But as @Science Friction condescendingly stated I may not be a race scholar but Mr. Friction I'm pretty sure my lifetime of interaction has enough merit to not be just a white guy commentating because I once knew black guy or spoke to one at work.

I get that the broad brushes come out sometimes. I'm probably guilty of some of that as a lot of us are. I've never meant to purposely offend, only being honest from my experience and point of view. I've had a lifetime of racial interaction. Played 3 sports from 9 years old, which put you in a good mixed group of kids. Always, always had as many if not more black friends as white, not acquaintances...the kind of friends that didn't knock just came in the door. I have lived with black families in black communities, have been married twice, both black women, all my kids are interracial. I deal with more black people in a day than some white people do in a month. Heck 99.9% of the time I'm the only white person in my house. Does that make me a race expert, no. But as @Science Friction condescendingly stated I may not be a race scholar but Mr. Friction I'm pretty sure my lifetime of interaction has enough merit to not be just a white guy commentating because I once knew black guy or spoke to one at work.

 

To be completely honest, every time you post your "race credentials," you come off just as condescending as you say SF does. Regardless of how many interactions you have on a daily basis, your posts can still come off in a racial manner, and they often do. I'm not trying to pick a fight, that's just how I see it.

To be completely honest, every time you post your "race credentials," you come off just as condescending as you say SF does. Regardless of how many interactions you have on a daily basis, your posts can still come off in a racial manner, and they often do. I'm not trying to pick a fight, that's just how I see it.

 

That's honest, and the only reason I do is I just want those who read to know that I'm actually coming from a place of experience. You can't talk about playing in a football game if you were never on the team or never got in the game. I appreciate your honesty. I'll refrain from doing so in the future as long as I don't get the condenscending how would you know comments.

That's honest, and the only reason I do is I just want those who read to know that I'm actually coming from a place of experience. You can't talk about playing in a football game if you were never on the team or never got in the game. I appreciate your honesty. I'll refrain from doing so in the future as long as I don't get the condenscending how would you know comments.

 

Like I referenced earlier, the best thing you (this is a general you) can do is not tell people their problems aren't real or that you don't believe something is happening because you don't see it. No amount of interaction with a different race is going to make that okay for someone who does experience it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.