Prestonsburg 20 Sheldon Clark 17

InTheLoop

Nah Belfry is fine dont worry about them but that isnt what this thread is about. Congrats to Pburg heck of a game. I seen this one comming. SC hasnt played noone and they were guilty of looking ahead. Anyone who wears Belfry shirts to practice like Martin County paper said is looking ahead. Pburg is a much improved team and SC had them at Pburg and that is never easy task.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was one of those games that gives you the feeling in the 3rd quarter that...it's going to the wire.

First half:

Sheldon Clark absolutely hogged the ball. If I had to guess, they probably claimed 16 of the 24 minutes of possession time. Each of their scoring drives were helped by a long (>15 yds) 3rd down conversion downfield. Like good teams do, they took advantage of a couple of Blackcat defensive miscues on their two scoring drives.

The Blackcats played almost the entire half on their own end of the field, but had a breakout TD run by Lincoln Slone (~65 yds).

Sheldon Clark 14 Prestonsburg 8

Second half:

Time of possession was fairly even. Neither team's offense put together enough plays to get to the end-zone due to tight defensive play and LOTS of penalties. Prestonsburg slowly turned field position to their advantage, however, because the Sheldon Clark punter had lots of trouble getting the ball off cleanly due to P-burg's rush. It was the field possession game that put P-burg into position to kick 2 Seth Moore field goals ( of 30 and 39 yds). Late in the 4th, P-burg was driving but turned the ball over on a fumble at the Cardinal's 40 yd. line. More penalties and one extremely pretty catch by a Sheldon Clark receiver put Sheldon Clark in position to attempt a 30 yd FG for the win with :30 secs. The kick clunked off the right upright, no good.

Sheldon Clark 14 Prestonsburg 14

OT:

Sheldon Clark had first possession. Two inside runs netted 3 yds. The third run netted one more, but holding was called on the Cards. On 3rd and 16, a pass to the 7 fell incomplete to a diving receiver. On 4th down, Sheldon Clark kicks a FG that cleared the crossbar by about a foot.

Prestonsburg ran inside for 2 on 1st down. On 2nd down, the Cardinal defense bit on a very good Hughes belly fake. Hughes then ran it in from 8 yds around end.

Final: Prestonsburg 20 Sheldon Clark 17

Note to the officials: You're there to keep the game fair and safe. You're NOT there to take control of it and be a "third team" like happened a good part of this contest. I think the Card fans agree with that.

:bunny:

This was one of those games that gives you the feeling in the 3rd quarter that...it's going to the wire.

First half:

Sheldon Clark absolutely hogged the ball. If I had to guess, they probably claimed 16 of the 24 minutes of possession time. Each of their scoring drives were helped by a long (>15 yds) 3rd down conversion downfield. Like good teams do, they took advantage of a couple of Blackcat defensive miscues on their two scoring drives.

The Blackcats played almost the entire half on their own end of the field, but had a breakout TD run by Lincoln Slone (~65 yds).

Sheldon Clark 14 Prestonsburg 8

Second half:

Time of possession was fairly even. Neither team's offense put together enough plays to get to the end-zone due to tight defensive play and LOTS of penalties. Prestonsburg slowly turned field position to their advantage, however, because the Sheldon Clark punter had lots of trouble getting the ball off cleanly due to P-burg's rush. It was the field possession game that put P-burg into position to kick 2 Seth Moore field goals ( of 30 and 39 yds). Late in the 4th, P-burg was driving but turned the ball over on a fumble at the Cardinal's 40 yd. line. More penalties and one extremely pretty catch by a Sheldon Clark receiver put Sheldon Clark in position to attempt a 30 yd FG for the win with :30 secs. The kick clunked off the right upright, no good.

Sheldon Clark 14 Prestonsburg 14

OT:

Sheldon Clark had first possession. Two inside runs netted 3 yds. The third run netted one more, but holding was called on the Cards. On 3rd and 16, a pass to the 7 fell incomplete to a diving receiver. On 4th down, Sheldon Clark kicks a FG that cleared the crossbar by about a foot.

Prestonsburg ran inside for 2 on 1st down. On 2nd down, the Cardinal defense bit on a very good Hughes belly fake. Hughes then ran it in from 8 yds around end.

Final: Prestonsburg 20 Sheldon Clark 17

Note to the officials: You're there to keep the game fair and safe. You're NOT there to take control of it and be a "third team" like happened a good part of this contest. I think the Card fans agree with that.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Nice breakdown.

This didn't suprise me, I called the P-Burg upset earlier. I think they are both pretty tough teams, just not quite as good as some optimistic fans think.

I think SC is as good as their fans think. They just did not come to play tonight and Pburg did. Like gish said the ball did bounce their way a couple times and they capitalized on it. I dont think its fair to take anything away from this win by saying SC was overated. I think Prestonburg is improving and played extremely hard and again SC just did not show up.

Congrats pburg....by the way, what's the win-loss record with this series?

Since 2000, the two teams are now even with 3 wins apiece.

But if you're looking for all-time series record, I'll let you know when I have access to my records Monday.

I don't know whether this Prestonsburg team has the talent level to make some noise come playoff time, but I'll say this...

This has been the most consistantly improving group, on a week-to-week basis, I've seen at P-burg in a VERY long time. This is a gritty tough bunch who's learning their jobs better and showing more confidence in their play every time they line up.

I'm really enjoying watching this team play...it's a lot of fun !!

:ylsuper:

I agree, tonight showed that SC is overrated and that P-burg may not be as bad as many thought. But just because its a county rival doesnt mean it should be close. I think that Belfry abnormally peaked at the wrong time of the season against NCC and have ever since then begin to slid downward in terms of there progression.

That's just about the craziest post I've read....and a slap at a future Hall of Famer in Phillip Haywood. Maybe it's hard for you to understand..but most people already know that this Belfry team is NOT AS GOOD as the 2003 and 2004 STATE CHAMPIONS. They're very young...and still a work in progress. Whether you win by 4 or 40....anytime you beat a quality opponent...you grow from it. Pikeville is very talented....and will create their own noise at the 1A level. Word of advice: Try winning a couple of football state championships at Johnson Central before you start telling people their future Hall of Fame Coach can't develop a team over the course of a season.:sssh:

That's just about the craziest post I've read....and a slap at a future Hall of Famer in Phillip Haywood. Maybe it's hard for you to understand..but most people already know that this Belfry team is NOT AS GOOD as the 2003 and 2004 STATE CHAMPIONS. They're very young...and still a work in progress. Whether you win by 4 or 40....anytime you beat a quality opponent...you grow from it. Pikeville is very talented....and will create their own noise at the 1A level. Word of advice: Try winning a couple of football state championships at Johnson Central before you start telling people their future Hall of Fame Coach can't develop a team over the course of a season.:sssh:

You can try to point at Johnson Centrals playoff woes as a slap in the face to me but guess what, I agree with you. JC has played some great football this year but has a long way to go before they achieve the level that Belfry football has attained. But I dont think that since that win over NCC, Belfry has gotten any better as a team. I could be wrong but a 28-6 over Lawrence Co., 48-6 win over East Ridge, 48-0 over Magoffin Co., and a 24-20 win over Pikeville arent as impressive as its win over NCC. Haywood is a great coach no doubt and any team would be lucky to have him but im just calling it the way i see it. Good Luck to the Pirates throughout your season and believe it or not i would love to see you over any other team from this area playing on the carpet again. :thumb: