Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A Few Changes to NCAA Games

Featured Replies

The US is the only country in the world that does not have a standard set of basketball rules across all levels. That needs to be fixed and I think we are headed that way.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want to see any challenges, I want to see some flow.

 

The NBA has been focusing on this the last few years. Their solution was to clean up physicality by calling more fouls. Scoring is way up in the league. College officials have been asked to do the same. Scoring is up this year. Not sure what you're looking for.

Because if not you can have a guy just hang on the rim and put stuff back all night...

You can't hang on the rim though.

The NBA has been focusing on this the last few years. Their solution was to clean up physicality by calling more fouls. Scoring is way up in the league. College officials have been asked to do the same. Scoring is up this year. Not sure what you're looking for.

 

Scoring is up due to the efficiency of the 3 pointer becoming an actual game plan

 

In the NBA, from 03/04 Season to 13/14 Season only 5 teams total averaged 10 3pt attempts a game.

 

This year alone 11 teams average over 10 3pt attempts a game, Last year there were 6, the year before that there were 3 teams.

Is everybody wanting a more physical game? Because that's what I think we'd get with players getting an extra foul and resetting the team fouls each quarter. You're basically removing the penalty (or at the very least, reducing the penalty) for fouling. Players and teams will just push the envelope even further if there's nothing to hold them in check.

Scoring is up due to the efficiency of the 3 pointer becoming an actual game plan

 

In the NBA, from 03/04 Season to 13/14 Season only 5 teams total averaged 10 3pt attempts a game.

 

This year alone 11 teams average over 10 3pt attempts a game, Last year there were 6, the year before that there were 3 teams.

 

Agreed, teams are getting more shots up in general, including 3 pointers. Teams are getting more possessions per game. The best rule the NBA has emphasized in recent years is the the hand check rule during the 2004 season. Many guards struggled to move and score with defensive players using their forearms to impede progress. Much more enjoyable game now.

With 8 fewer minutes in a college game than NBA, I'm OK with it staying at 5 fouls.

 

But please-oh-please-oh-please give us 4 quarters and a bonus reset. If nothing else, 4-quarter games would drag college coaches kicking and screaming into adopting the 2-for-1 as a game strategy.

Ok you guys explain to me why they need 4 quarters? What is the big issue between that and two halfs?

Ok you guys explain to me why they need 4 quarters? What is the big issue between that and two halfs?

 

I think that of the ones that want this is because the fouls reset for the bonus.

I think that of the ones that want this is because the fouls reset for the bonus.

 

Not necessarily, they dont in High school with quarters.

Not necessarily, they dont in High school with quarters.

 

I know but in college tkey have talked about resetting the fouls after each quarter.

They did quarters in the NIT this year, and most of the feedback I've heard has been positive.

So the horrible officiating was on full display last night. I'm not sure how you truly fix that problem. Someone that has much more info on the training and pay scale of those guys should weigh in on that.

 

A few changes I think need to be made that could help the flow of the game. First they need to go to 4 quarters. The last 14 minutes and change of last night both teams were already in the bonus. NO ONE wants to see that.

 

Next I would change the bonus structure to similar to what the NBA does. You can read that here if you want the full details. Bonus (basketball) - Wikipedia

 

One other minor one. Get rid of the possession arrow. Do a jump ball if there is a tie up.

 

Any other ideas?

 

I have had a revolutionary idea for years that I'm sure they would never do, BUT:

Players in foul trouble are a HUGH issue in big games. A lot of times a player picks up 2 quick fouls and sits out 10-15 minutes of the first half. This is ridiculous. Basketball is the only major sport that disqualifies a player for violations. You can hold all you want in football but you can keep playing, etc. ( I know there are certain situations in other sports that result in disqualification, but they are generally flagrant violations)

Several solutions: Go to 6 fouls like the pros. Everyone wants to see the best players decide the game. This would keep players with 2 fouls in in the second quarter.

Do what most rec leagues do. You can continue to play after 5 fouls, but the 6th results in 2 shots and the ball.

Make a player sit out 3 minutes after his 5th foul before he can return, with the same penalty for subsequent fouls.

There are probably more but I like any of these. The 5 foul rule was instituted ions ago when there was not nearly the action as today's game. They have widened the lane, added the 3 point shot, instituted the shot clock, etc, because the game changed but did nothing to the foul rule. Get with the times.

Anyone else think that offensive goaltending is stupid to begin with? Why even have offensive goaltending?

 

Because if the offensive player can touch the ball on the rim but the defensive player can't this is a distinct advantage for the offense.

I'm in the minority, but I was fine with how the game was played 5 and 10 years ago. I don't care about the freedom of movement stuff. If it truly gets like that, then we truly will end up like the NBA and see more and more isolation basketball and one on one stuff.

 

I honestly like seeing teams truly have to work to get open. Have to move the ball, etc.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.