March 30, 20179 yr I'll agree. Immature and pointless. We should all try to be better, especially on BGP. Leave that trash for Facebook. Nah, y'all need to take it every once in a while. :lol2: (Please don't kill me)
March 30, 20179 yr Just noticed that only three seasons saw the Cats never ranked in the AP poll during a given year. Well one of those was 1952-53. That was the year the Cats played no games from NCAA penalties. The next year Hagan, Ramsey, Tsoroupolis, and company went 25-0 and were the best team in the nation finishing Ranked #1 even after the tournament. So it's even more remarkable their ranking status.
March 30, 20179 yr Does the AP not do end of the season rankings like they do for football? They used to. I don't know if they still do. KY finished #1 in 1954 despite not participating in the NCAA tourney. (AP voted them #1 cause they finished 25-0 and smashed the champion LaSalle during the season)
March 30, 20179 yr This shows who the blue bloods are in college basketball. In the Indiana coaching thread this was debated. This shows that they are up there. I think the line of demarcation is clear between 7 and 8. Every team in the top 7 has been in over half of the polls. Arizona and Syracuse have been in ~40% and then below that is ~30%. Big drop off. In my opinion, you just can't argue that there are any programs better historically than those seven.
March 30, 20179 yr I found it interesting that even in Kentucky's "worst decade," the 1960s, they still appeared in 59% of the polls. Obviously the poll was smaller then, but North Carolina, Kansas, Indiana, and Louisville were all at their worst in the 1960s, too. It really goes to show how the dominant programs emerged after the 1960s - I'd guess things like integration helped on that front.
March 30, 20179 yr I think the line of demarcation is clear between 7 and 8. Every team in the top 7 has been in over half of the polls. Arizona and Syracuse have been in ~40% and then below that is ~30%. Big drop off. In my opinion, you just can't argue that there are any programs better historically than those seven. Agree
March 30, 20179 yr Everyone either doesn't realize, or forgets the fact, that U of L didn't become a state funded university until 1970. Form '51-'70 U of L made the tourney 6 times (30% of the time) From '71-'17 they have made it 36 times. (78% of the time) While I'm not a U of L fan. I think they are a pretty good success story. To go from a municipal school to state school and achieve so much in what is really a short time period.
March 30, 20179 yr Everyone either doesn't realize, or forgets the fact, that U of L didn't become a state funded university until 1970. Form '51-'70 U of L made the tourney 6 times (30% of the time) From '71-'17 they have made it 36 times. (78% of the time) While I'm not a U of L fan. I think they are a pretty good success story. To go from a municipal school to state school and achieve so much in what is really a short time period. I certainly had zero idea about that. Thanks for sharing.
March 30, 20179 yr Everyone either doesn't realize, or forgets the fact, that U of L didn't become a state funded university until 1970. Form '51-'70 U of L made the tourney 6 times (30% of the time) From '71-'17 they have made it 36 times. (78% of the time) While I'm not a U of L fan. I think they are a pretty good success story. To go from a municipal school to state school and achieve so much in what is really a short time period. And they had an outstanding team with Wes Unseld from '67 to '68. And they beat UK and made the Final Four in 1959. Almost upset Jerry Lucas' great Ohio State team in '61 or '62.
March 30, 20179 yr Everyone either doesn't realize, or forgets the fact, that U of L didn't become a state funded university until 1970. Form '51-'70 U of L made the tourney 6 times (30% of the time) From '71-'17 they have made it 36 times. (78% of the time) While I'm not a U of L fan. I think they are a pretty good success story. To go from a municipal school to state school and achieve so much in what is really a short time period. Who is/was arguing otherwise? I've always admired the success of Louisville basketball. Lots of big time playing and coaching stars there throughout history.
March 30, 20179 yr Yep. Got the ranking and immediately lost it both times. I'd imagine those years in the Metro Conference and C-USA weren't very conducive to rocketing up the ranking charts. Not with Cincinnati sitting at #1 so often back then...
March 30, 20179 yr And they had an outstanding team with Wes Unseld from '67 to '68. And they beat UK and made the Final Four in 1959. Almost upset Jerry Lucas' great Ohio State team in '61 or '62. Those OSU teams weren't THAT great...
March 30, 20179 yr Who is/was arguing otherwise? I've always admired the success of Louisville basketball. Lots of big time playing and coaching stars there throughout history. You act as if I said something negative. There were a couple a posts about how few times U of L had been a #1 and that their worst decade was the 60s. I was simply trying to help some folks understand why. I'm fairly certain a number of the younger bgpers didn't know U of L's history.
March 31, 20179 yr Those OSU teams weren't THAT great... I gotcha. :thumb: I recall an interview with Paul Hogue. He said he had no problem saying OSU had the better players but Cincy had the better team.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.