Inappropriate cheers from the Perry County Central/Pikeville basketball game

What does the administration have to do with it? Its not at a school facility. Event is not being ran by a school.

What color is the sky in your world?

But, does he have a point? And does the time of the game have anything to do with it? If it's a first session game held during what are normally school hours, does the admin have more say so than a second session game at 8:00? And can an admin say something to students if they aren't sitting in the student section? Speaking specifically of state tournament games at Rupp. Interesting questions that I have never thought of before.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, does he have a point? And does the time of the game have anything to do with it? If it's a first session game held during what are normally school hours, does the admin have more say so than a second session game at 8:00? And can an admin say something to students if they aren't sitting in the student section? Speaking specifically of state tournament games at Rupp. Interesting questions that I have never thought of before.

I assume there would only be one administrator their correct if any? The other would have to be back at school right? Dealing with the kids there.

Students aren't students 24/7 and administrators don't have authority over them 24/7. So when does it begin/end? Technically when does that authority begin/end at Rupp, especially at an "after school hours" game. I guess if the school provided the ticket/transportation and the student is sitting in the student section, then there is definitely some authority there and that's probably how the majority of students got there in the first place, so that I can see. But what if some students traveled down on their own dime and paid for a ticket to get in and are acting totally inappropriately. Nothing that would get them kicked out by Rupp security, but definitely reflecting negatively on the school?. How much authority does an admin have over them?

I ask this in all sincerity because I don't know and perceive this to be a very gray area and looking for some answerers by those in the profession.

Perry County Central has two Africans on their team. Every time they went to the free throw line the Pikeville student section chanted USA at them. It happened every time they went to the free throw line the whole game. The Pikeville students didn't chant USA when Damon Tobler or Richard Cornett went to the free throw line. When Prince Anosike and Idris Akenyemi went to the free throw line.....USA USA USA USA USA. That was from the Pikeville student section. Perry County Central's kids didn't do or say anything out of the way IMO.

It makes me sad.

Hopefully the Pikeville Powers that be will come to their senses.

Students aren't students 24/7 and administrators don't have authority over them 24/7. So when does it begin/end? Technically when does that authority begin/end at Rupp, especially at an "after school hours" game. I guess if the school provided the ticket/transportation and the student is sitting in the student section, then there is definitely some authority there and that's probably how the majority of students got there in the first place, so that I can see. But what if some students traveled down on their own dime and paid for a ticket to get in and are acting totally inappropriately. Nothing that would get them kicked out by Rupp security, but definitely reflecting negatively on the school?. How much authority does an admin have over them?

I ask this in all sincerity because I don't know and perceive this to be a very gray area and looking for some answerers by those in the profession.

It ain't all that gray.

When I was at a school event (and anytime one of our teams were playing, it was certainly a school event), I knew whose authority I was under. Who paid for my ticket and how I got there didn't matter at all.

The administration has authority at this event, as they do at any other school sanctioned event. They have the responsibility to address the issue.

I think the administration(s) out there let way too much go during the season from student sections and blow it off as "they are 15 - 18 year old kids...."

But since we want to ask the questions, where was the entire KHSAA staff during all this, because as we have determined, they are certainly there....why didn't one of them recognize the issue and go to school administration ? I promise you the administrators were rubbing elbows with KHSAA in the hospitality rooms, so it's not like they don't have access.

The administration has authority at this event, as they do at any other school sanctioned event. They have the responsibility to address the issue.

I think the administration(s) out there let way too much go during the season from student sections and blow it off as "they are 15 - 18 year old kids...."

But since we want to ask the questions, where was the entire KHSAA staff during all this, because as we have determined, they are certainly there....why didn't one of them recognize the issue and go to school administration ? I promise you the administrators were rubbing elbows with KHSAA in the hospitality rooms, so it's not like they don't have access.

I was tossing the KHSAA around in my mind last night. Just like when Lafayette Football team went above and beyond with all the flagrant penalties in the 6A Title Game, I wonder if the KHSAA has the ability to sanction Lafayette in that case or Pikeville in this case or if that is a slippery slope the KHSAA doesn't want to get involved in?

I was tossing the KHSAA around in my mind last night. Just like when Lafayette Football team went above and beyond with all the flagrant penalties in the 6A Title Game, I wonder if the KHSAA has the ability to sanction Lafayette in that case or Pikeville in this case or if that is a slippery slope the KHSAA doesn't want to get involved in?

If Julian didn't pick up his phone to make a call while sitting there during the event, no way in the world he hides behind his computer and calls it as a sanction later.

KHSAA harps constantly on sportsmanship, and they should. When something that is this visible (by all accounts) is going on during your "Premier Showcase Event" and you do nothing, you are culpable.

If Julian didn't pick up his phone to make a call while sitting there during the event, no way in the world he hides behind his computer and calls it as a sanction later.

KHSAA harps constantly on sportsmanship, and they should. When something that is this visible (by all accounts) is going on during your "Premier Showcase Event" and you do nothing, you are culpable.

Lots of blame to spread around here, IMHO.

I definitely think what I would call "Racist" Chants from a student section should be dealt with by the KHSAA.

I would propose putting all Pikeville sports teams on 2 years Probation and if anything else like that ever happens again I would be for banning all of their sports teams from postseason play for at least one year. Additionally, I would sanction and fine the Pikeville Board of Education for allowing it if they didn't do anything to address the issue.

I definitely think what I would call "Racist" Chants from a student section should be dealt with by the KHSAA.

I would propose putting all Pikeville sports teams on 2 years Probation and if anything else like that ever happens again I would be for banning all of their sports teams from postseason play for at least one year. Additionally, I would sanction and fine the Pikeville Board of Education for allowing it if they didn't do anything to address the issue.

I'm sorta glad you are not on the KHSAA board...way to come out strong. :eek:

It ain't all that gray.

Many, maybe even most cases you are probably right. In some cases though I don't see how it's not gray (like the scenario I used as an example above) which is why I was asking the question. And maybe, just maybe some of the school admins do see it as a gray area, which is why things like this go on because they are not sure what their authority is in this situation?

I'm sorta glad you are not on the KHSAA board...way to come out strong. :eek:

If I was on the Board of Control and led a push to sanction Pikeville the Panther Faithful would probably accuse me of being vindictive over Pikeville beating Beechwood all those times in the 80's with dare I say talent from other places than Pikeville, Kentucky.

That is what I find humorous about this, Pikeville has had outside talent in the past and it gives chants like this an air of hypocrisy in addition to the racial component.

But to add a little humor to this, Pikeville taught us at Beechwood what we needed to do to be successful. Beechwood ended up getting some nice talent from outside Fort Mitchell, we put Mike Yeagle in charge, and the rest is history.