Inappropriate cheers from the Perry County Central/Pikeville basketball game

If I was on the Board of Control and led a push to sanction Pikeville the Panther Faithful would probably accuse me of being vindictive over Pikeville beating Beechwood all those times in the 80's with dare I say talent from other places than Pikeville, Kentucky.

That is what I find humorous about this, Pikeville has had outside talent in the past and it gives chants like this an air of hypocrisy in addition to the racial component.

But to add a little humor to this, Pikeville taught us at Beechwood what we needed to do to be successful. Beechwood ended up getting some nice talent from outside Fort Mitchell, we put Mike Yeagle in charge, and the rest is history.

latest?cb=20140528072653

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad @theguru mentioned the state football game.

After Lafayette's QB was injured a few Trinity kids in the stands shouted Where's Walker a couple of times the first time the Generals O was on the field after the injury. Totally in appropriate and shut down IMMEDIATELY by administrators.

There is no gray area at all, it was a school event, the administration is responsible for the conduct of their student section and should have stopped this immediately.

I'm glad @theguru mentioned the state football game.

After Lafayette's QB was injured a few Trinity kids in the stands shouted Where's Walker a couple of times the first time the Generals O was on the field after the injury. Totally in appropriate and shut down IMMEDIATELY by administrators.

There is no gray area at all, it was a school event, the administration is responsible for the conduct of their student section and should have stopped this immediately.

Must have been the younger siblings of the group that cheered when they knocked Chad Lawrence out of the game?

Must have been the younger siblings of the group that cheered when they knocked Chad Lawrence out of the game?

I don't know who Chad Lawrence is but that's irrelevant. High school kids are high school kids no matter what school they go to and are by definition idiots. They will do whatever they are allowed to get away with. If the chants were allowed to happen repeatedly it's a huge indictment of the control the adults at that school have.

I definitely think what I would call "Racist" Chants from a student section should be dealt with by the KHSAA.

I would propose putting all Pikeville sports teams on 2 years Probation and if anything else like that ever happens again I would be for banning all of their sports teams from postseason play for at least one year. Additionally, I would sanction and fine the Pikeville Board of Education for allowing it if they didn't do anything to address the issue.

Ban the fans, not the teams! And/or the administration.

I don't know who Chad Lawrence is but that's irrelevant. High school kids are high school kids no matter what school they go to and are by definition idiots. They will do whatever they are allowed to get away with. If the chants were allowed to happen repeatedly it's a huge indictment of the control the adults at that school have.

Sure.

I can't believe people are surprised by the actions of students these days. We have grown men and women cussing, yelling, throwing double birds at the refs during high school games as well as threatening and waiting for refs after games and we wonder where the kids are learning their behavior?!

The chants I hear at games these days are way over the line and don't think I haven't stopped a game management rep or two on my way out of a gym to let them know.

Push it

Push it

Push it

We have grown men and women cussing, yelling, throwing double birds at the refs during high school games as well as threatening and waiting for refs after games and we wonder where the kids are learning their behavior?!

Can't argue with that...it's sad and disgusting.

I can't believe people are surprised by the actions of students these days. We have grown men and women cussing, yelling, throwing double birds at the refs during high school games as well as threatening and waiting for refs after games and we wonder where the kids are learning their behavior?!

The chants I hear at games these days are way over the line and don't think I haven't stopped a game management rep or two on my way out of a gym to let them know.

Push it

Push it

Push it

This sums it up the best right here.

Push it

Push it

Push it

Exactly. But yet in the Iowa thread folks think that kids in the student section just celebrated USA without crossing the line against a team full of refugees. Because you know, patriotism.

Anyone who sits in a gym during basketball season as much as I know that you and I do know you know the student section is going to cross the line at some point.

Nuts and bolts, nuts and bolts......

But nah, those kids in Iowa wouldn't dare antagonize a school with refugees on their team on USA theme day. :lol2: :lol2:

Exactly. But yet in the Iowa thread folks think that kids in the student section just celebrated USA without crossing the line against a team full of refugees. Because you know, patriotism.

Anyone who sits in a gym during basketball season as much as I know that you and I do know you know the student section is going to cross the line at some point.

Nuts and bolts, nuts and bolts......

But nah, those kids in Iowa wouldn't dare antagonize a school with refugees on their team on USA theme day. :lol2: :lol2:

Here's the thing...nuts and bolts, nuts and bolts is funny.

I love a good student section that's loud and funny. Chanting Nigeria, or USA or anything along those lines isn't funny at all.

There has to be a line there and I'm afraid too many kids cross it these days.

And yes, the school administration needs to control it. I don't care where the game is held. They are sitting together as a group, representing your school. That makes it your problem.

I do think that there are times when "game management" is viewed as "extra duty" and some just take their rotation and get it over with. There are probably other times that game management is intentionally oblivious to any potential issues.