2017/2018 8th Region

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spencer will be decent but the size of their guards is going to be an issue. They have skill but will have a hard time guarding the bigger more mature guards. Also not real sure they can compete inside as well.

I would agree with that assessment, I saw them play a couple of times in Louisville this summer, bigger athletic guards gave them problems.

Spencer will be decent but the size of their guards is going to be an issue. They have skill but will have a hard time guarding the bigger more mature guards. Also not real sure they can compete inside as well.

I would agree with your assessment, however, Spencer plays very good help defense. While their guards are small (three of them are freshmen) they are very fast and all can shoot lights out. That could be an issue for alot of teams. Their junior guard Seawright has also had a good summer and actually has decent size. I actually think their inside game may be better than last year. Jacob Coke had a great summer and the transfer from PRP has good size. I know first hand that the guards are putting all the work that they can to get stronger. Probably a year away. The experience that those guards got as 8th graders should make a big difference this year. They aren't intimidated. That's for sure. In my opinion--the key to Spencer this year lies with Jacob Coke. If he plays like he did over the summer then they have a very good shot to make some serious noise. We will see.

Now that summer AAU ball is over I am going to change my pick for top team in the region. I had previously said Anderson County, but I now feel like Collins will be that team. They don't have size, but have some very good players. I think Collins would beat Anderson County head to head. Still think Cobe Penny is the best player in the region. Stinks for my Spencer County Bears to be in a loaded district, but thats just the way things are. The 30th is LOADED.

Now that summer AAU ball is over I am going to change my pick for top team in the region. I had previously said Anderson County, but I now feel like Collins will be that team. They don't have size, but have some very good players. I think Collins would beat Anderson County head to head. Still think Cobe Penny is the best player in the region. Stinks for my Spencer County Bears to be in a loaded district, but thats just the way things are. The 30th is LOADED.

Collins can shoot lights out. They play a tough style to defend. But man I saw Cobe a couple of times this summer and he is on par to light the region up this year. Should be a lot of fun in the region

Wow, some have said AC, many think WV, Spencer will be very competitive, SK has been mentioned, now someone brings up Collins, and I haven't even brought up the Oldham schools. And 2 teams out of OC, Henry Co, Carroll Co., Gallatin Co., Eminence will make it to the region next March. What a fun and loaded yr it should be in the 8th region.

Even though they lost Wilson? Idk who they return. But none of the 31st look to be serious region contenders.

Gallatin is the prohibitive favorite to win the 31st, just as they were last season. The Wildcats weren't considered a serious contender last year, but were one possession away from making it to the regional finals.