Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jameis Winston Tells Boys They Can Do Anything; But Girls Should Sit Down. Be Silent.

Featured Replies

:taz:

 

Who thought it was a good idea to have this guy talk to young kids?!

 

Jameis Winston tells class girls should ‘sit down ... be silent’ - NY Daily News

 

Jameis Winston fumbled his chance to make a good impression.

 

The Buccaneers quarterback made a major misstep when he visited a Florida elementary school and singled out the “strong” boys who “can do anything” while telling the girls to “sit down ... be silent, polite, gentle.”

 

Winston was a guest at Melrose Elementary in St. Petersburg Tuesday when he made the regrettable comments. The 23-year-old was there to share his three tenets in life: God, school and the importance of having a can-do attitude.

 

"All my young boys, stand up. The ladies, sit down," Winston said, according to the Tampa Bay Times. "But all my boys, stand up. We strong, right? We strong! We strong, right? All my boys, tell me one time: I can do anything I put my mind to. Now a lot of boys aren't supposed to be soft-spoken. You know what I'm saying? One day y'all are going to have a very deep voice like this (in deep voice). One day, you'll have a very, very deep voice.

 

"But the ladies, they're supposed to be silent, polite, gentle. My men, my men (are) supposed to be strong. I want y'all to tell me what the third rule of life is: I can do anything I put my mind to. Scream it!"

 

Given Winston’s history — he was accused of rape, but never charged with a crime and ultimately settled a civil suit with his accuser — his comments come with additional scrutiny. Insinuating that girls are somehow less important than boys or lack motivation won’t help his ongoing efforts to rehabilitate his tarnished image.

 

"One of the girls turned around and looked at me and said, 'I'm strong too,'" Bonnie Volland, a speech language pathologist at the school, told the paper.

 

Winston tried to backpedal later in the day when the insensitive undertones of his remarks were brought to his attention.

 

"I was making an effort to interact with a young male in the audience who didn't seem to be paying attention, and I didn't want to single him out so I asked all the boys to stand up," Winston told the paper. "During my talk, I used a poor word choice that may have overshadowed that positive message for some."

  • Replies 50
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jameis is epitome of dumb jock.

I'm actually shocked an administrator or teacher didn't step in and end it right there.

His halftime speech to FSU this past season made Ray Lewis say, "huh?".

I just saw the video on ESPN. I'll say that I didn't get the same feeling watching the video that I did reading the headline. He certainly mis-spoke, but I do not believe his intentions were bad.

:taz:

 

Who thought it was a good idea to have this guy talk to young kids?!

 

Jameis Winston tells class girls should ‘sit down ... be silent’ - NY Daily News

 

Jameis Winston fumbled his chance to make a good impression.

 

The Buccaneers quarterback made a major misstep when he visited a Florida elementary school and singled out the “strong” boys who “can do anything” while telling the girls to “sit down ... be silent, polite, gentle.”

 

Winston was a guest at Melrose Elementary in St. Petersburg Tuesday when he made the regrettable comments. The 23-year-old was there to share his three tenets in life: God, school and the importance of having a can-do attitude.

 

"All my young boys, stand up. The ladies, sit down," Winston said, according to the Tampa Bay Times. "But all my boys, stand up. We strong, right? We strong! We strong, right? All my boys, tell me one time: I can do anything I put my mind to. Now a lot of boys aren't supposed to be soft-spoken. You know what I'm saying? One day y'all are going to have a very deep voice like this (in deep voice). One day, you'll have a very, very deep voice.

 

"But the ladies, they're supposed to be silent, polite, gentle. My men, my men (are) supposed to be strong. I want y'all to tell me what the third rule of life is: I can do anything I put my mind to. Scream it!"

 

Given Winston’s history — he was accused of rape, but never charged with a crime and ultimately settled a civil suit with his accuser — his comments come with additional scrutiny. Insinuating that girls are somehow less important than boys or lack motivation won’t help his ongoing efforts to rehabilitate his tarnished image.

 

"One of the girls turned around and looked at me and said, 'I'm strong too,'" Bonnie Volland, a speech language pathologist at the school, told the paper.

 

Winston tried to backpedal later in the day when the insensitive undertones of his remarks were brought to his attention.

 

"I was making an effort to interact with a young male in the audience who didn't seem to be paying attention, and I didn't want to single him out so I asked all the boys to stand up," Winston told the paper. "During my talk, I used a poor word choice that may have overshadowed that positive message for some."

 

This is not surprising. Not at all.

Did he jump up on a cafeteria table to drop that knowledge?

His halftime speech to FSU this past season made Ray Lewis say, "huh?".

 

The Ole Miss game Labor Day weekend? Agreed.

I just saw the video on ESPN. I'll say that I didn't get the same feeling watching the video that I did reading the headline. He certainly mis-spoke, but I do not believe his intentions were bad.
Agree. But the poor guy can't get out of his own way.

So, someone from Tampa Bay didn't screen his presentation, or give him some talking points or, what they SHOULD have done, write him a scripted point by point outline with full dialogue?

 

Heck, I blame the Bucs almost most as much as Winston...they know the guy and still let him up in front of a bunch of kids to give a presentation, evidently without any help, which they should know he needs.

I really think he means well. I just don't think he's very smart.

:taz:

 

Who thought it was a good idea to have this guy talk to young kids?!

 

Jameis Winston tells class girls should ‘sit down ... be silent’ - NY Daily News

 

Jameis Winston fumbled his chance to make a good impression.

 

The Buccaneers quarterback made a major misstep when he visited a Florida elementary school and singled out the “strong” boys who “can do anything” while telling the girls to “sit down ... be silent, polite, gentle.”

 

Winston was a guest at Melrose Elementary in St. Petersburg Tuesday when he made the regrettable comments. The 23-year-old was there to share his three tenets in life: God, school and the importance of having a can-do attitude.

 

"All my young boys, stand up. The ladies, sit down," Winston said, according to the Tampa Bay Times. "But all my boys, stand up. We strong, right? We strong! We strong, right? All my boys, tell me one time: I can do anything I put my mind to. Now a lot of boys aren't supposed to be soft-spoken. You know what I'm saying? One day y'all are going to have a very deep voice like this (in deep voice). One day, you'll have a very, very deep voice.

 

"But the ladies, they're supposed to be silent, polite, gentle. My men, my men (are) supposed to be strong. I want y'all to tell me what the third rule of life is: I can do anything I put my mind to. Scream it!"

 

Given Winston’s history — he was accused of rape, but never charged with a crime and ultimately settled a civil suit with his accuser — his comments come with additional scrutiny. Insinuating that girls are somehow less important than boys or lack motivation won’t help his ongoing efforts to rehabilitate his tarnished image.

 

"One of the girls turned around and looked at me and said, 'I'm strong too,'" Bonnie Volland, a speech language pathologist at the school, told the paper.

 

Winston tried to backpedal later in the day when the insensitive undertones of his remarks were brought to his attention.

 

"I was making an effort to interact with a young male in the audience who didn't seem to be paying attention, and I didn't want to single him out so I asked all the boys to stand up," Winston told the paper. "During my talk, I used a poor word choice that may have overshadowed that positive message for some."

 

He forgot to mention and "make me a samich".

I really think he means well. I just don't think he's very smart.

 

I completely agree with you.

  • Author
He forgot to mention and "make me a samich".

 

Don't make me laugh; I have my serious face on. :angrybird10:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.