Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coroner probe raises questions (in Henderson)

Featured Replies

That says it all. You prove you can win in Ft. Thomas and they run you off? Red Flag Red Flag.

We won them before him and we are winning them now. I don't think his coaching abilty was ever in question here in Ft Thomas. It's what he did on and off the field that was wrong.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coroner or the school report? Which one would stand up in court, the one with no reasons for bias, or the schools report?

 

Either report would stand up in court. Just because the school board cut the check doesn't mean a thing. This was a Lawyer from Owensboro with no ties to the Henderson. He performed an independent investigation and reported his findings. He interviewed 20 different players from the team as well as parents that attended practice the day Ryan died. Do you have any reason not to believe what Mr. Wilson put in his report? Do you know him to be a liar? I don't know the man at all so I couldnt' say, but just because the school system paid for his services doesnt' mean squat.

I have no part in this and don't know any of the personalities involved. However, I do know from coaching recreational sports for the past 10 years that our first obligation is to protect the players and that hydration is the most obvious need of any player. My son (now playing HS) quit 5th grade football because the coach's idea of giving kids water was to allow them to stand at a garden hose with 10 tiny holes in it, which produced a spray, but not a stream of water. The school nurse diagnosed his dehydration.

 

Any coach who uses water for discipline should be immediately suspended, period. That the coach's wife and assistand knew this kid was having trouble only makes the coach more neanderthal. I hope the coroner's inquiry goes to the grand jury.

Why are they using the heat index obtained from Coach Edge in Owensboro. Is that really relevant as to the heat in Henderson. It's about 30 miles apart and the heat in one place isn't always the same as the other.

Very sad situation, in the end I hope justice prevails and prayers go the kids family and the community.

All I can say is WOW...John Edwards and his band of attorneys will be sure to ride into town any minute now. Sounds as though the Henderson County school system is woefully lacking in following KHSAA / KMA heat guidelines and I'm sure they will be taken to task for such.

All I can say is WOW...John Edwards and his band of attorneys will be sure to ride into town any minute now. Sounds as though the Henderson County school system is woefully lacking in following KHSAA / KMA heat guidelines and I'm sure they will be taken to task for such.

 

I too am wondering what will happen because of the absence of a psychrometer...

I'll stay out of the discusion of Coach Duffy since I don't have any first hand knowledge. From what I read, the cause of death was an undiagnised heart problem. The extent to which heat and hydration contributed will, I suppose, be determined. Two things should happen. First, the high school sports physical should include simple tests to diagnose heart problems. A few years ago, after the UK basketball recruit died, we had tests run on our sons prior to the start of football season. I don't remember the cost, but it is worth it. Second, until the KHSAA starts to require the tests, parents and schools should take it on themselves to get the testing done. A more intensive physical will not disclose all problems, but a lot of heart abnormalities can be diagnosed.

Why are they using the heat index obtained from Coach Edge in Owensboro. Is that really relevant as to the heat in Henderson. It's about 30 miles apart and the heat in one place isn't always the same as the other.

 

It is not relevant. The KHSAA requires heat index readings to be taken on the actual field itself as readings can vary wildly from place to place. Here at Russell, we have three different fields used for practice, the game field, the baseball outfield and a practice field. I can tell you the readings are different on EACH FIELD AT THE SAME TIME because I am the one who takes them. Different drainage patterns affect the relative humidity as well as wind patterns. Varying amounts of shade along with wind will also affect the temperature. If the conditions are different on three different fields within a few hundred yards of each other, you can be sure they will be different about 30 miles apart.

Either report would stand up in court. Just because the school board cut the check doesn't mean a thing. This was a Lawyer from Owensboro with no ties to the Henderson. He performed an independent investigation and reported his findings. He interviewed 20 different players from the team as well as parents that attended practice the day Ryan died. Do you have any reason not to believe what Mr. Wilson put in his report? Do you know him to be a liar? I don't know the man at all so I couldnt' say, but just because the school system paid for his services doesnt' mean squat.

 

 

As an outsider looking in the coroners report would hold more credibility.

Calling Owensbore Cath for the temperature is what blows my mind. You can get 10 different readings in 10 different local's within a square mile if you tried.

Calling Owensbore Cath for the temperature is what blows my mind. You can get 10 different readings in 10 different local's within a square mile if you tried.

Its a cover your butt story. Calling another school is better than everyone thinking you gave no care for the heat index at all. At least, that is what the case is if you don't even own the machine that takes the reading.

It takes a coward to treat a child under his care like a peice of meat. I know many of his "players" that know he shouldn't be around kids, and are now sorry that they didn't say anything when they were younger. Yes, these were high impact starters on state championship teams.

Well if this is true why arnt they saying anything NOW? Are they Cowards to the point they are going to let it go on???? It seems to me that if he was as bad as you said or say people said that played for him, AND after a tragic death like this happens, why arnt they calling papers and news stations, and telling like he is or was???????? To me that is just as bad ???

Its a cover your butt story. Calling another school is better than everyone thinking you gave no care for the heat index at all. At least, that is what the case is if you don't even own the machine that takes the reading.

The red flag that sticks out to me is the part where Duffer said he called Edge at Owensboro Catholic before practice to get the heat index reading. Edge says he never talked to Duffer and gave his 9am reading to Duffy Sr. between 9:30-10am when practice was over. However, none of this caused the young man to die.

Well if this is true why arnt they saying anything NOW? Are they Cowards to the point they are going to let it go on???? It seems to me that if he was as bad as you said or say people said that played for him, AND after a tragic death like this happens, why arnt they calling papers and news stations, and telling like he is or was???????? To me that is just as bad ???

Don't worry. Once the dust starts to settle and things get rolling, I am SURE it will happen.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.