Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Holmes' New Field

Featured Replies

Turf is starting to be rolled out. After over 90 years of use, I'm glad to see Tom Ellis Stadium getting polished up a little.

 

TomEllis1.jpg

  • Replies 48
  • Views 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

Before the school was built, the D.H. Holmes family had originally dammed up a creek and the natural bowl that the field currently sits in had been a lake. The property was sold to the board of education in 1915, school was built and opened in 1919, Tom Ellis Field was built in 1925.

 

Holmes football & soccer use the field, Covington Catholic played their home games there until they built their own stadium, Holy Cross football plays their home games there, the Bengal Tigers youth football team uses it as their home field, Covington Latin School has used it as their home soccer field over the years. Lots of history from lots of schools in that stadium.

Turf is starting to be rolled out. After over 90 years of use, I'm glad to see Tom Ellis Stadium getting polished up a little.

 

[ATTACH]59923[/ATTACH]

 

CWB, the one they played on before getting this turf was a GEM compared to the Ellis Stadium from late 60s early 70s.

Did Holmes play at another field or did they start this new field as soon as their season ended?

This is awesome. I was an intern under Tom Ellis, Jr, so I saw first hand the fundraising they did. Also I hear Brossart is Holmes home opener on the new field this year.

Will Covington Holy Cross go back to playing at Holmes once this is finished? I know they were migratory this season.

  • Author
Will Covington Holy Cross go back to playing at Holmes once this is finished? I know they were migratory this season.

 

I believe so, yes. @nkypete can you confirm?

I believe so, yes. @nkypete can you confirm?

 

I'm not 100% sure. Koz really likes Thomas More and is hoping something can be worked out to help them get lights so that HC can play there.

I'm not 100% sure. Koz really likes Thomas More and is hoping something can be worked out to help them get lights so that HC can play there.

 

Is it closer from Holy Cross to Thomas More than it is between Holy Cross and Holmes? Not that it really matters (relatively short distances either way), but just curious.

I'm pretty sure that Holmes old stadium was where they now practice. Not sure when they moved to the current stadium/field location.

  • Author
I'm pretty sure that Holmes old stadium was where they now practice. Not sure when they moved to the current stadium/field location.

 

This Enquirer article from 1975 says the stadium was 50 years old, so I would assume 1925.

 

yyCfzvA.jpg

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.