September 11, 200620 yr WHAS radio had a story on committee hearings in Frankfort regarding proposed penalties for attending a school other than a feeder school. Sen Shaunessy (sp) pointed out to Mr. Sears, who was testafying before the committee, that 24 percent of the students at his school are from outside his district. His response was that it was legal. Well duh!!! He is trying to keep it legal for his school and make it subject to penalties for ours. I don't know if this proposal will pass the KHSAA delagate meeting, but I think it has NO chance in court.
September 11, 200620 yr TA: Can you give some more background. That is interesting. Isn't Sears from Somerset? So is he saying 24% of the student's at Somerset reside outside the independent school district?
September 11, 200620 yr The 24 percent figure sounds awfully high, but I expect that in most independent systems in rural areas get about 10 percent, maybe even 15 percent, of their students from the surrounding county district.
September 12, 200620 yr This first came up during a live debate last year. To paraphrase, after McKee suggested a penalty of not being allowed to play kids that left public school “feeders” to private schools (public to private). Dr. Mullins from Trinity said he would be willing to accept if the public’s had the same penalty for kids that left private schools to attend public school. McKee’s reaction was “of course not”. Classic. They only wanted it one way.
September 12, 200620 yr I saw this on tonight's 6:00 news. Sen. Shaughnessy told Sears point blank there would be a fight on this issue starting as early as next week. Shaughnessy said he would begin the investigation of some public schools. The news quoted another person whose name I can't remember as stating that the proposal is unconstitutional. I agree with Trinity alum. I think this has no chance in court.
September 12, 200620 yr Just saw on the early WHAS newscast a bit of this. Mr Sears was shown giving his normal "it's about equity" speal. That was followed by a clip of Senator Shaughanasy telling him (and I paraphrase) you have to realize that they will fight you on this and I am ready to start investigations of public schools tomorrow if you pass this. I don't know what he is going to investigate but I suspect it would be enrollment practices. This could get interesting. Rock 85 saw the same thing I did. The person quoted as saying it was unconstitutional was Lisa Speer of the Catholic School Association.
September 12, 200620 yr WHAS Story Here's a link to a text version of the WHAS story and it contains a link to video of the story.
September 12, 200620 yr A couple interesting things that didnt make air that went on at the meeting. A member of the KHSAA board actually said that several schools in 4A got tired of getting beat by the same teams and thats one reason why the new playoff brackets were formed. He also said it was their objective to get ALL teams in the playoffs because football was the only sport that didnt allow all teams in the playoffs currently (basically lets give everyone a trophy). It was also mentioned that because some programs were successful that over the course of a high school career that players could get several weeks more playing time than unsuccessful programs so it was a self fullfilling prophecy (success breds succes imagine that). A couple other good points that were made by Lisa Speer had to do with transfers. Last year 892 kids graduated from catholic middle schools and went on to PUBLIC high schools in louisville. On the other hand 300 PUBLIC middle school kids took the placement exam at the 9 catholic high schools (doesnt mean they attended just that they took the test). It was also pointed out that the 24% of the students outside the district in Wilson Sears school system that they pay $175 tuition to do so.:sssh:
September 12, 200620 yr It was also pointed out that the 24% of the students outside the district in Wilson Sears school system that they pay $175 tuition to do so.:sssh:Hypocrisy alert.
September 12, 200620 yr I still question the need for independent schools like Somerset. It can't be the most effecient way of doing things. If they have room to allow 24% of outsiders to attend their school, then maybe that school isn't needed. Send the Somerset kids to the county school. This applies to all independent schools in my opinion. If a city or town wants an independent school, pay for 100% of it and make it truly independent.
September 12, 200620 yr Author I have no problem with independent schools. They are a local decision and another choice. I have a question. Does $175 plus the state money that follows the student add up to the per pupil cost in the Somerset Independent District? If not, why don't they charge more? This proposal to punish kids for where they choose to go to high school is a fight this state doesn't need, will exacerbate the hard feelings and is a fight that the public schools will lose in court.
September 12, 200620 yr I have no problem with independent schools. They are a local decision and another choice. I have a question. Does $175 plus the state money that follows the student add up to the per pupil cost in the Somerset Independent District? If not, why don't they charge more? This proposal to punish kids for where they choose to go to high school is a fight this state doesn't need, will exacerbate the hard feelings and is a fight that the public schools will lose in court. No it does not. Also, it is not the school districts call on whether they get the funds or not. For example, student lives in District A then those funds are allotted for District A. Parents decided student will attend District B. District A has the choice to release the funds to District B. If they choose not to and that happens a pretty good amount of the time, the funds go to no one but stays at the state level. Another example from the state viewpoint that public schools are designed to educate the youth in a community and not a responsibility of theirs to teach kids not living in their community. I do understand that meaning have the view that mission needs to change or be altered and I think that is a wonderful debate. But presently, that is not the mission and those in public schools have to view and make decisions based upon the situations presently.
September 12, 200620 yr Author No it does not. Also, it is not the school districts call on whether they get the funds or not. For example, student lives in District A then those funds are allotted for District A. Parents decided student will attend District B. District A has the choice to release the funds to District B. If they choose not to and that happens a pretty good amount of the time, the funds go to no one but stays at the state level. Another example from the state viewpoint that public schools are designed to educate the youth in a community and not a responsibility of theirs to teach kids not living in their community. I do understand that meaning have the view that mission needs to change or be altered and I think that is a wonderful debate. But presently, that is not the mission and those in public schools have to view and make decisions based upon the situations presently. I am assuming that Somerset has such an agreement. I can't understand why they would agree to take students from outside the district at below the cost of the education. I'm going to bet that the elected school board members in the Somerset District will start to squirm when a Senate investigation of their policies regarding out of district students and financing gets started. How will the voters of Somerset like it when they find out they are subsidizing out of district students?
September 12, 200620 yr I am assuming that Somerset has such an agreement. I can't understand why they would agree to take students from outside the district at below the cost of the education. I'm going to bet that the elected school board members in the Somerset District will start to squirm when a Senate investigation of their policies regarding out of district students and financing gets started. How will the voters of Somerset like it when they find out they are subsidizing out of district students? I would not make that assumption. A lot of school districts will ONLY take students if the money has been released. And they will only release it if there is a reason. In my county, I have been told that we release it to neighboring counties when it has been proven that it is much, much easier for the child to attend the neighboring school. For example, a child would have a 90 minute bus ride to our elementary school (a good number of kids have that long of a ride each morning. I am NOT talking a handful.) while they could attend the elementary school in the neighboring county and it is a 20 minute bus ride. I know for a fact that my county has rejected many claims for release of these state funds over my years of teaching. In fact at one time, there was a big debate with a neighboring county. We had teachers working in our school district and wanting their children to attend this school district. The neighboring county said no to releasing the funds and our board at first said they would have to pay tuition. The principals got upset because they were going to lose good teachers and the board allowed them to attend free of charge as long as the parent stayed an employee of this district. In dealing with schools, the state and the likes, don't assume things that make rational sense.:sssh:
September 12, 200620 yr I still question the need for independent schools like Somerset. It can't be the most effecient way of doing things. If they have room to allow 24% of outsiders to attend their school, then maybe that school isn't needed. Send the Somerset kids to the county school. This applies to all independent schools in my opinion. If a city or town wants an independent school, pay for 100% of it and make it truly independent.Some cities just want to have a better school system. And thus, the independent district. Don't really get your objection to independent school districts, or the idea that all school systems are the same. :confused:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.