Bluegrasspreps' Class 5A Playoff Preview

JDEaston

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone just keep in mind that greenwood first has to get past graves county..a team that has had many struggles this year but looks to be turning the corner..as history proves, never ever count the eagles out..they started the 2014 campaign 0-4, went on to win 10 straight games, including knocking off bowling green 7-0, who was on a 57 game in-state win streak.. so let's take these playoff games one game at a time shall we??

Everyone just keep in mind that greenwood first has to get past graves county..a team that has had many struggles this year but looks to be turning the corner..as history proves, never ever count the eagles out..they started the 2014 campaign 0-4, went on to win 10 straight games, including knocking off bowling green 7-0, who was on a 57 game in-state win streak.. so let's take these playoff games one game at a time shall we??

Greenwood returns almost everyone who shellacked Graves last year. What is so different about this year?

Great article, @JDEaston. I've got to say, though, I just don't see Dixie Heights beating Fern Creek. That's the one and only thing that stuck out to me.

I can completely follow that line of thinking. That matchup was a tough one to pick the winner of honestly. Fern Creek has an excellent team once again this season. I wish I had more information to offer on them in the notebooks and such, but outside of game stats, information has been scarce. That said, their two losses came from two very good teams, so it's hard to hold that against them. However, they're missing that season defining win that really show how good they are or could be.

Dixie Heights is in a comparable situation, all of their losses have came from very good teams, but the close loss to Covington Catholic really stood out to me in their potential. Covington Catholic's offense is one of the best in class 5A and Dixie Heights was able to hang within a point of them until Catholic made some big plays to bust the game open in the final quarter. I'm just not sure Fern Creek has the type of offense to do that against an otherwise solid Dixie Heights defense.

Again, that game was a tough one to decide on and Fern Creek very well could win it if the two teams meet.

I've followed Graves County closely all season, looking for a reason to give them due credit for their lack of attention that some of our members said was lacking. But every time they had a chance to step up and prove themselves, they let me down. I didn't think too hard on it when they opened their season with a loss to Hopkinsville because I knew how good Hopkinsville would be. The one point win over Paducah Tilghman really made me question them. I didn't think too much on their loss to Mayfield, as Mayfield is really, really good. But when they scored 6 points combined versus Christian County and Owensboro, it was a no brainer for me to go with Greenwood in this one.

Expect a similar score versus Greenwood as Graves County posted in those two games.

Home teams on upset alert?:

Greenwood

Doss

Anderson County

North Laurel

Doss and Anderson County could certainly lose in the opening round. I don't see Graves County beating Greenwood or South Laurel beating North Laurel though. North Laurel had no problem whatsoever with South Laurel at the beginning of the season. Greenwood and Graves will likely be a similar score as Graves versus Owensboro/Christian County was.

Doss and Anderson County could certainly lose in the opening round. I don't see Graves County beating Greenwood or South Laurel beating North Laurel though. North Laurel had no problem whatsoever with South Laurel at the beginning of the season. Greenwood and Graves will likely be a similar score as Graves versus Owensboro/Christian County was.

I think South Laurel could upset North. They're playing better as of late and a change in QB from the last time they played North could be the reasoning

That was then, this is now! I don't think they will get by Greenwood or Owensboro, but if a miracle did happen, they have no shot at this years Purple team. We will be reminded of that 2014 game for the next twenty years, at least. The Eagle seems young...

That was then, this is now! I don't think they will get by Greenwood or Owensboro, but if a miracle did happen, they have no shot at this years Purple team. We will be reminded of that 2014 game for the next twenty years, at least. The Eagle seems young...

Yes, graves' is young in many aspects.but, when they play to their potential great things happen..now, I'm the first to admit that there is definitely areas of improvement and graves may very well lose to Greenwood or even owensboro.I just hope they play to their full potential..with that I'm sure eagle nation can live with the resilts!

Are you saying Greenwood is as good as Owensboro & Christian?

I think South Laurel could upset North. They're playing better as of late and a change in QB from the last time they played North could be the reasoning

I agree. That should be a good game. North seems to have neither improved or regressed - they seem the same. South has improved tremendously from start to finish. A South win is probably an upset, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Are you saying Greenwood is as good as Owensboro & Christian?

Halfway through the season I probably would have said yes. But Owensboro has really improved and Christian seems much more athletic than Greenwood and would cause a lot of trouble. I don't think the gap is huge, but I'd have Greenwood ranked third out of those three.