Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Belfry's OT Austin Dotson

Featured Replies

We have posted about the University of Kentucky Commit before, but for those that have not watched him play he is truly a special High School talent with a very unique skill set.

 

Dotson is a legit 6'7 315+.. keep that in mind... He is one of the most athletic big guys I think I have ever seen at the High School level. He is also one of the nastiest run blockers I have seen. Once he gets his hands on you, typically he is not stopping until either the whistle blows or he has you pinned to the ground.

 

I would encourage any fan of High School football or Offensive Linemen to take a a few minutes to appreciate his Hudl page, but this highlight in particular play from Friday I had to share.

 

Watch the very first play on the video, remember 6'7, 315+ the entire time... Dotson cuts a man and then the rest is just a pure display of freakish athleticism for his size. The rest of his Cabell Midland video is fun too, but man alive this play :eek:

 

vs Cabell Midland - Austin Dotson highlights - Hudl

I couldn't help but notice that whole offensive line is enormous. But that #61 works extremely hard. I mean the first play on that video he is running down field with the running back to make a block.

  • Author
I couldn't help but notice that whole offensive line is enormous. But that #61 works extremely hard. I mean the first play on that video he is running down field with the running back to make a block.

 

AFTER fulfilling his assignment at the snap and taking out a defender with a cut block

AFTER fulfilling his assignment at the snap and taking out a defender with a cut block

 

Yes. That's the point I was trying to make. Most do their initial assignment and leave it at that. He chases a defender 20 yards down field and knocks him on his butt. Impressive!

UK looks to have two good, young O-linemen next year...this kid and Landon Young, who I think is now a full-time starter. Where is Wills (or is it Willis) from Lafayette going? If he was to go to UK, they'd be stacked for a few years....that is if they pan out in college....you never know.

  • Author
UK looks to have two good, young O-linemen next year...this kid and Landon Young, who I think is now a full-time starter. Where is Wills (or is it Willis) from Lafayette going? If he was to go to UK, they'd be stacked for a few years....that is if they pan out in college....you never know.

 

Still undecided, supposed to be between UK, Bama, and Notre Dame.

 

Austin Dotson is rated as a 2* player by Rivals. Keep in mind most of that has to deal with the fact he basically was non-existent on the recruiting scene until the Belfry coaches made a Hudl video for him at the end of last season.

 

I have seen a LOT of football in my day and I honestly think Dotson may be the best run blocking Tackle I have ever seen. Obviously he will have to learn pass blocking in college, but this kids raw abilities and his nasty side and effort is off the charts.

 

I can't help that if Wills from Lafayette is a 5* that Dotson shouldn't be too far behind him. As good as Wills and Young are they are (LEGIT 5* players) not nearly as athletic as Dotson IMHO. Dotson is just raw and will have to learn, but this is a special, special, special specimen.

He's definitely no 2*. If so, UK needs to get more of them. ;)

 

Kid is a beast.

 

I saw him at the UK vs NM St game, he's a monster.

Once he learns how to use his hands, watch out. He's got the athleticism for sure. Just worried about how he lets people into his body. He'll learn.

He plays like that week in and week out. Watch any game highlight, and you can pick any game you want. Hustle, hustle, hustle.

 

Good time to shout out to Belfry's offensive line coaches. They do a tremendous job getting those guys ready to play. It is a thankless job, and the position doesn't get much glory, but they are the straw that stirs the drink for the Pirates.

 

Bentley plays the same way. And Jordan Scott, And Whitt, And Preece. And Rash. And so on.

I love his motor. Kid has a high ceiling.

  • Author
He plays like that week in and week out. Watch any game highlight, and you can pick any game you want. Hustle, hustle, hustle.

 

Good time to shout out to Belfry's offensive line coaches. They do a tremendous job getting those guys ready to play. It is a thankless job, and the position doesn't get much glory, but they are the straw that stirs the drink for the Pirates.

 

Bentley plays the same way. And Jordan Scott, And Whitt, And Preece. And Rash. And so on.

 

Jordan Scott is about to be an absolute steal for some college.

 

6'2 300 Guard who rarely misses assignments and can road grade in the running game.

 

I have said it before and will say it again, if Jordan Scott didn't have the fanfare of Bentley and Dotson on the same line he would be considered an All-State 1st Team talent.

 

I think he not only fits well with a FCS school like Eastern or Tennessee Tech. I think he can start for them fairly early in his career.

  • Author

I still think this is my favorite Austin Dotson highlight, the first play of this video

 

vs. Lawrence County - Austin Dotson highlights - Hudl

 

Dotson gets to the second level but noone is there for him to block. Most linemen just hang around and wait for the play to end or come to them. Not Dotson.

 

Instead he peels back and destroys some defender before the running back can even get down field.

 

You know that defender had to be thinking. "Which receiver peeled back? Who was it? I am going to kill him next play!" Then he realizes it was a 6'7 tackle!

VERY VERY Impressive!

But I couldn't help try to think of what those HS DBs had to be thinking when that monster hit them 20 yards down the field. Like a Greyhound bus coming to flatten you..... Scary!

Im amazed those are highlights from just 1 game. Some kids couldnt get that many in a career!

  • Author
Im amazed those are highlights from just 1 game. Some kids couldnt get that many in a career!

 

As Tusi said... if you go through his Hudl page he is doing this Every.Single.Week. No matter the Defensive strategy the result is the same. If you try to submarine him or bear crawl him he just gets low and blows you out of the hole. If you put a small guy and try to beat him with quickness he just manhandles him 10 yards down the field or flattens him. If you put a big boy on him and try to beat him with power he turns him and takes one of your pursuing LB's out with him.

 

I would hate to know how many pancake blocks he and Bentley have this season alone. They have to be averaging nearly 10-12 per game between the two combined.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.