Pulaski Southwestern 34 Somerset 28

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much closer than I anticipated!! Good game Jumpers, no reason to hang your head. Somerset led most of the 1st half and hung around in the 2nd half with a chance to take the lead late. I'll take this good performance into next week with Warren East.

In answer to your question Guru if they match the intensity that they played with last night and Superman Cole can continue to catch the ball in double and triple coverage like he did last night and the biggest "if' is if we can contain anything ran outside the tackles, then we can keep it close.

I was very proud of the way our kids battled tonight, Southwestern was just a better football team. too big, too deep and well coached. Both teams had chances last night so the mistakes were a wash but a big interception late in the first half while we were driving and in field goal range cost us big as SW scored off of that turnover. Then again Cody Gibson drops a sure touchdown pass for them that he will not drop again the rest of his life so it evens out.

This was just a good high school football game. Great crowd, fans from both teams really showed up and supported their teams!! Good luck to both teams the rest of the way!! I do feel much better about the Jumpers chances to compete for district and region again after last night.

Did I mention that John Cole gave a Superman type performance last night!!!

This is a surprise to me. I thought PSW would win by two or three touchdowns.

Is Somerset going to give Danville a game in a couple of weeks?

I don't think Somerset will be much of a threat to Danville. I don't think they will get totally blown out but I don't think they can push them too much. Except for one corner route throw for a touchdown and a tight end dump that gained quite a few yards Southwestern mainly moved the ball on the ground against Somerset. Somerset just does not tackle well. That being said when their offensive line gave Deaton time to set and throw he and Cole just shredded SW's secondary. Both ints came as a result of Deaton getting flushed out of the pocket and making a poor decision to throw back across his body on the run to the middle of the field rather than good coverage from SW. That being said if Danville puts their corners on an island and puts 8-9 people in the box like they have the first couple of games it should stay relatively close something in the neighborhood of 40-21. From what I saw last night Somerset's biggest problem is poor tackling and SW's is their secondary--they were okay on screens and slants but just about every time Somerset had time to go up top it resulted in a big play, and their kicking game will hurt them if it doesn't improve.

AJG, we pegged this one once again. When cross town rivals play all bets are off. Somerset showed up and gave Southwestern a game. As we discuss eariler these were always games. Kids play harder against kids they know just a fact. Couple of great plays by our kids and yours along with a couple of dropped ball tell you how big this game was for them. Somerset had a kid open along our sideline WIDE OPEN and just missed the catch. Great game to watch and no let up. Wish you well the rest of the season................LTW.

I don't think Somerset will be much of a threat to Danville. I don't think they will get totally blown out but I don't think they can push them too much. Except for one corner route throw for a touchdown and a tight end dump that gained quite a few yards Southwestern mainly moved the ball on the ground against Somerset. Somerset just does not tackle well. That being said when their offensive line gave Deaton time to set and throw he and Cole just shredded SW's secondary. Both ints came as a result of Deaton getting flushed out of the pocket and making a poor decision to throw back across his body on the run to the middle of the field rather than good coverage from SW. That being said if Danville puts their corners on an island and puts 8-9 people in the box like they have the first couple of games it should stay relatively close something in the neighborhood of 40-21. From what I saw last night Somerset's biggest problem is poor tackling and SW's is their secondary--they were okay on screens and slants but just about every time Somerset had time to go up top it resulted in a big play, and their kicking game will hurt them if it doesn't improve.

Shredded??!!?? Cole had a super night 202 of Somersets 264yds of offense

There were some great battles between Cole & Daulton, Cole and Robertson.

One of Coles TD's came on a tipped ball. Last week Danville had two tipped balls fall in to their hands. Several of the sacks by SW had to be attributed to coverage. Deaton had time to throw but had trouble finding an open rec.

261yds though the air is a lot for a defense to give up and yes SW does need to continue to work on the pass defense, however shredded is a strong word.

I will say two things, I thought it was a great game. These two teams need to play EVERY year and I was impressed with John Cole. Somerset will give Danville a good game and with the right breaks could beat them. We will see. Good Luck to the Jumpers and Congratulations to the Warriors on a hard fought victory.

Either Somerset is going to turn some heads this year in Class 1A this year or Southwestern is not what they have been built up to be. A solid 3A team should always beat a solid 1A team by a couple of TD's. Congrats to Southwesten on the win and good luck to Somerset on the rest of your season.

Shredded??!!?? Cole had a super night 202 of Somersets 264yds of offense

There were some great battles between Cole & Daulton, Cole and Robertson.

One of Coles TD's came on a tipped ball. Last week Danville had two tipped balls fall in to their hands. Several of the sacks by SW had to be attributed to coverage. Deaton had time to throw but had trouble finding an open rec.

261yds though the air is a lot for a defense to give up and yes SW does need to continue to work on the pass defense, however shredded is a strong word.

I will say two things, I thought it was a great game. These two teams need to play EVERY year and I was impressed with John Cole. Somerset will give Danville a good game and with the right breaks could beat them. We will see. Good Luck to the Jumpers and Congratulations to the Warriors on a hard fought victory.

14 or 15 catches for 202 yards and 4 touchdowns by one player is a shredding. I didn't say Somerset shredded SW's defense I said that DEATON TO COLE shredded SW's SECONDARY. Otherwise I felt SW had a very solid defense and those were not coverage sacks. The sacks and the interceptions were a direct result of SW getting a good push from the inside and forcing Deaton to roll out where he is not nearly as effective. SW as of this moment (they've got some kids back there that can play so they can improve) has a horrendous secondary against the deep ball. Danville threw for 240 yards and 4 scores on only 9 completions, Somerset completed 4 touchdowns to one player, all but one on deep balls. The SW secondary plays real well on the slants and underneath routes but if given time a decent quarterback/receiver combo can go over the top all night. Overall I was impressed with the size and quickness of SW's line and running backs. However, if they want to make a deep run in the playoffs in 3A they've got to improve their kicking game and secondary, if two 1A schools can throw for 500 yards and 8 scores what will a 3A team like Highlands or Franklin Co. do. That said I hope they shore things up and make a run this year and I agree I hope the 2 schools get to play yearly with the district changes next year. Good luck the rest of the year.

AJG, we pegged this one once again. When cross town rivals play all bets are off. Somerset showed up and gave Southwestern a game. As we discuss eariler these were always games. Kids play harder against kids they know just a fact. Couple of great plays by our kids and yours along with a couple of dropped ball tell you how big this game was for them. Somerset had a kid open along our sideline WIDE OPEN and just missed the catch. Great game to watch and no let up. Wish you well the rest of the season................LTW.

Yeah, I know Warrior Princess was hoping for a shellacking but I just felt like SW was weak enough on the deep balls for Somerset to keep it close. However, I didn't think they'd keep it close enough to have a chance to score and take the lead in the 4th quarter. The emotion involved in a rivalry game can make these things closer than what talent might otherwise dictate. I was really impressed with SW's front lines on both defense and offense and with how hard their running backs ran the ball. Their front on defense got a super push all night long and was really responsible for both picks as they were really chasing Deaton and forced him to throw back across the field. Their secondary covered the slants and screens very well too, they just have some issues on the deep ball right now--if they clean that up (and the kids back there are capable) they can have a really nice season. Also what happened to SW's kicking game--do they have someone hurt or did they not get any soccer players to come out and kick? It just seemed odd because they usually have a solid kicking game.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the year--hopefully we'll get to start playing each year cause these really are fun games. :thumb:

Either Somerset is going to turn some heads this year in Class 1A this year or Southwestern is not what they have been built up to be. A solid 3A team should always beat a solid 1A team by a couple of TD's. Congrats to Southwesten on the win and good luck to Somerset on the rest of your season.

I think it was more of the fact that it was a rivalry game and SW came out and turned it over a couple of times early and Somerset took advantage. SW is a solid 3A team overall, they'll have to address their inability to cover the deep ball and sort out their kicking game however if they want to really make a push in the playoffs.

I really feel that Southwestern is overated. I think the Franklin county team we played last Saturday would destroy Southwesterns terrible defense. Good game for the Warriors. However this isn't a team that will make a strong push in the 3A playoffs. Somerset grew up a lot this game looked like a different team. They flew to the ball and hit people. Tackling still not great but a lot better then last week. They continue to play and grow up week by week, this team will contend again this year.

"Yeah, I know Warrior Princess was hoping for a shellacking but I just felt like SW was weak enough on the deep balls for Somerset to keep it close."

Yes, I was. But I'm just glad we got the W and noone got hurt. It was a great game, great atmosphere. You can't ask for much more in a high school game. And that's all I'll say.

I'd say there were some pretty sore boys waking up this morning. Jordan Walters' QB sack at the end of the 1st half would have made SportsCenter! One of the greatest hits I've ever seen!

Good Luck Jumpers. Hope you win the rest from here on out.

And Congratulations Warriors! Stay focused, stay healthy and work hard!

I really feel that Southwestern is overated. I think the Franklin county team we played last Saturday would destroy Southwesterns terrible defense. Good game for the Warriors. However this isn't a team that will make a strong push in the 3A playoffs. Somerset grew up a lot this game looked like a different team. They flew to the ball and hit people. Tackling still not great but a lot better then last week. They continue to play and grow up week by week, this team will contend again this year.

Just imagine what Franklin is going to do to Pulaski this weekend....

Ouch!