June 16, 201610 yr "Former Baylor football player Tevin Elliott, who a prosecutor said needs to grow a conscience, was sentenced to the maximum 20 years in prison and a $10,000 fine Thursday on each of two counts of sexually assaulting a former Baylor student in 2012." Ex-BU football player gets 2
June 16, 201610 yr Things are better, but in the immortal words of Alice Cooper - "we still have a long way to go".
June 16, 201610 yr I think it's a combination of a lot of factors and race is certainly one - directly or indirectly. No question.
June 16, 201610 yr Race could very well be a factor. I don't know what is in the heart of each judge. But we don't know if the judge in the Baylor case would of given the Stanford kid a harsher penalty . It's hard to really know because it's different states, judges, cases and defense lawyers.
June 16, 201610 yr Race could very well be a factor. I don't know what is in the heart of each judge. But we don't know if the judge in the Baylor case would of given the Stanford kid a harsher penalty . It's hard to really know because it's different states, judges, cases and defense lawyers. I agree we don't know but I sure would bet on it, big.
June 16, 201610 yr Could the difference be that one was a jury sentence and one was a judge sentence?
June 16, 201610 yr Race could very well be a factor. I don't know what is in the heart of each judge. But we don't know if the judge in the Baylor case would of given the Stanford kid a harsher penalty . It's hard to really know because it's different states, judges, cases and defense lawyers. Judge didnt give the sentence in this case a jury did.
June 16, 201610 yr While there is some merits here, overall this is one of scariest parts of social media, especially when it comes racial division. It can meet whatever narrative you want it to meet. For instance, also at Baylor in 2015, former (black) football player Sam Ukwuachu was sentenced to six months in jail and 10 years probation for sexual assault in 2013, despite a jury recommending 8 years in prison; his sentence was probated. So many variables at play there is no way to make a sweeping generalization.
June 16, 201610 yr Could the difference be that one was a jury sentence and one was a judge sentence? A factor
June 16, 201610 yr So many factors to take into account including the PSIRs. Police Station Interview Rooms? :idunno:
June 16, 201610 yr So many factors to take into account including the PSIRs. Police Station Interview Rooms? :idunno: I am going with the P standing for Prior and the R standing for record. Otherwise, Vanna, er, LA....I need to buy a vowel.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.