Eastern / Male (7th Region Champ) updates

I wasn't there, but only play that was in question by the 3 people I was texting with was a safe call at 1st in Eastern's benefit. I also wondered not changing pitchers, but Leet had 2 outs, had kept the Male big bats in check all night, and the two big pinch hits came from unlikely heroes, Senior Megan Cunningham drops in a mis-hit bleeder behind 1st, and Sophomore Jenna Howell rips a first pitch shot that my daughter texted me was "the perfect gap shot". I guess my point is Coach Taylor probably had faith Leet could through pinch hitters in the 7 & 8 hole to get out of the inning. Tough thing, though. 2 extra pitches + 4 runs = End of your season.

I would question 2 other calls, both in Male's favor. A slide at 3rd and at home. Both safe calls, especially the home plate call. It was a delayed throw and the Eastern runner was clearly home safe. Who was the 3rd base ump, anyone know?

These were the 2 calls I heard about in Male's favor. I don't know who the umpire was as I was not present, but it is pretty regular for Male's coach to earn 2-3 close calls a game. Pretty ridiculous! But again, Male kept playing and had timely hits and Taylor should have pulled her sooner. I have seen that from our own coach about 5 times this year so pretty common now.

I've been around KY high school softball, primarily in Louisville, for 9 seasons, and that may be the first time I've heard of josh earning close calls from the umps. ��

I can't tell from the question marks whether you're being serious or not. Regardless, Male earned the win. Having said that, you need to talk to parents around town who have been around as well because to a man, speak to parents from Mercy, Ballard, Holy Cross, Butler, Sacred Heart, wherever, and they will talk about how he intimidates umpires and gets calls.

The question marks were laughing faces, and I was being serious. My daughter played HS ball for 6 years, 4 of those were against Josh while he was at Mercy, 2 for him when he came to Male. As a parent I have been on both sides of the field, so I have a pretty good insight, so no need to speak to other parents.

Josh has never, in my memory, been the darling of the area umpires, thereby possibly earning favor on close calls. I would say the opposite would be an easier case if you were in the arguing mood. He is, however, a master of the rules and strategies of fastpitch softball. In most cases more so than the umpires of the game, and in ALL cases, more so than the parents in either stands. That's a fact. As an opponent, it was at times infuriating, to watch my DD play against his teams, and when he came to Male, I saw the other side.

The telling thing is, though, from the time my DD was in 5th grade, and went to a Mercy youth camp, she "got" him, respected and admired him, and wanted to play for him, and during those 4 years of HS while she was in the opposite dugout, that opinion never changed. That's the difference between the players and the parents.

What we think, either way, really doesn't matter.....but it does make for good internet entertainment.

I'm not going to beat the dead horse any longer either, but heavy duty, I said nothing about his knowledge of the game, the rules or coaching ability. I also didn't say anything about whether his players enjoyed playing for him or not, so what the players think is fairly irrelevant. My daughters attended his camps back in the day at Mercy and loved him and would be fine playing for him. What I mentioned was the intimidation of the umpires, and I think that happens quite frequently. Again, though, Male kept playing, won the game and let's move on to the State Tournament, which should be a great one!