The Belmont Stakes

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kent D back in alcohol rehab again. Supposed to be back in time for the Belmont.

Jockey Kent Desormeaux in rehab but plans to ride in Belmont - UPI.com

The stories I've heard about this fella are hard to believe, but being in rehab makes them a little more believable.

Sad.

As for the race, I'll play Creator and Suddenbreakingnews in an exacta and those two horses on top of a trifecta part wheel.

Any news more breaking news about The Belmont, field,etc?

They are expecting a field of 13 for the Belmont. That seems like a large field.

Exaggerator Gallops; Belmont Field Grows | BloodHorse.com

Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Exaggerator, who galloped the morning of June 6 at Belmont Park, is expected to face 12 other 3-year-olds in the $1.5 million Belmont Stakes (gr. I).

The field for the 1 1/2-mile Belmont grew to 13 with the addition of WinStar Farm's Gettysburg, who finished third in an allowance race at Belmont May 26. The speedy Pioneerof the Nile colt gives WinStar two Belmont starters; Creator, a Tapit colt who won the Arkansas Derby (gr. I), was already expected for the race.

Trainer Keith Desormeaux was on hand to watch Exaggerator gallop 1 1/2 miles Monday morning.

"He looks great," Desormeaux told New York Racing Association media officials. "I haven't seen him in 12 days. I think he put on a few pounds, which is always a positive quality, especially when you're running races that are so close together. (Assistant trainer) Julie (Clark) and his groom tell me he's eating all his meals with vigor. That's all we can ask for."

Desormeaux said the Curlin colt, who is owned by Big Chief Racing, Head of Plains Partners, and Rocker O Ranch, will jog on the training track June 7 and school in the paddock in the days leading up to the Belmont.

"The track is a little deeper I think than (Churchill Downs and Pimlico Race Course), so that's why we got him here as early as possible," the trainer said. "It's a little different—wider sweeping turns, (and a) deeper, sandy surface. I wanted to get him more action over the track."

Gettysburg, a maiden winner in seven starts, likes to run on the near the lead unlike Creator, who comes from well off the pace. Gettysbury had been trained by Todd Pletcher but is now in the barn of Steve Asmussen, who June 6 told NYRA officials the colt would start in the Belmont.

As for Creator, he breezed a half-mile in on the training track in :50 4/5 Monday morning in his first work at Belmont since his arrival.

"He worked nice and steady with a good rhythm," Asmussen assistant Toby Sheets said. "He actually loves it here. It's much quieter than Churchill, so that makes a big difference."

Samuel Henderson's Suddenbreakingnews, a closing fifth in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) in his last start, worked a half-mile in :49 2/5 at Churchill the morning of June 6 and is scheduled to travel to New York Tuesday.

Trainer Donnie Von Hemel said the Mineshaft ridgling, yet another who likes to come from well back in his races, is well-prepared for the Belmont.

"I'm excited to bring this horse up there because I think the horse has a real chance," Von Hemel said. "I'm looking forward to Saturday. You always think your horse is peaking at the right time and is the best he can be when you go into a race like this, but we're very happy with the way he's doing. We wouldn't be coming otherwise."

Others expected for the Belmont are Brody's Cause, Cherry Wine, Destin, Forever d'Oro, Governor Malibu, Lani, Seeking the Soul, Stradivari, and Trojan Nation. Forever d'Oro and Seeking the Soul, both owned and bred by Charles Fipke and trained by Dallas Stewart, are coming off maiden victories May 29.

Is there consolidated Beyers view of the horse that will run?

And the follow-up. Do the Beyers matter as much in this long race? Speed ratings are a great tool to weed out the pretenders from the contenders usually. But this as much of an endurance race as it is a speed race.

It seems like a lot of people are favoring the horses that are going to need to come from way out of it to win this race. I will offer this little tidbit, a deep deep closer does not necessarily run better when the distance expands to 1 and 1/2 miles. The winner of this race will be no further than 5 or 6 lengths off the lead at all times in this race. Deep closers may get a minor piece, but they will not be winning the race IMO.

The stories I've heard about this fella are hard to believe, but being in rehab makes them a little more believable.

Sad.

As for the race, I'll play Creator and Suddenbreakingnews in an exacta and those two horses on top of a trifecta part wheel.

Anyone else know their picks, I piggyback on you guys in hopes of finally winning a little bit:thumb:

It seems like a lot of people are favoring the horses that are going to need to come from way out of it to win this race. I will offer this little tidbit, a deep deep closer does not necessarily run better when the distance expands to 1 and 1/2 miles. The winner of this race will be no further than 5 or 6 lengths off the lead at all times in this race. Deep closers may get a minor piece, but they will not be winning the race IMO.

That being said, who do you like at this point?

2016 Belmont Stakes Post Positions and Morning Line Odds

Show 10All entriesc

Search:

Post Positiona

Horsea

Jockeya

Trainera

Morning Line Oddsa

1 Governor Malibu Joel Rosario Christophe Clement 12-1

2 Destin Javier Castellano Todd Pletcher 6-1

3 Cherry Wine Corey J. Lanerie Dale Romans 8-1

4 Suddenbreakingnews Mike SMith Donnie Von Hemel 10-1

5 Stradivari John Velazquez Todd Pletcher 5-1

6 Gettysburg Paco Lopez Steven Asmussen 30-1

7 Seeking the Soul Florent Geroux Dallas Stewart 30-1

8 Forever d'Oro Jose Ortiz Dallas Stewart 30-1

9 Trojan Nation Aaron Gryder Patrick Gallagher 30-1

10 Lani Yukata Take Mikio Matsunaga 20-1

11 Exaggerator Kent Desormeaux Keith Desormeaux 9-5

12 Brody's Cause Luis Saez Dale Romans 20-1

13 Creator Irad Ortez Jr. Steven Asmussen 10-1

I would agree w this assessment

Anyone else know their picks, I piggyback on you guys in hopes of finally winning a little bit:thumb:

Race 1) exacta 3 and all

Race 2) tri box 123

Race 3) 6 with 345 exacta

Race 4) 135 tri box

Race 5) tri box 4567

Race 6) 357 tri box

Race 7) 345 tri box

Race 8) 357 tri box

Race 9) 457 tri box

Race 10) 123 tri box

Race 11) 1,2,3,--9,10,11---2,3,4,--3,10,11 tri box

exacta part wheel 3/124 and 1,2 box

my long shots are:

Trojan Nation ( checked at the start of Ky Derby)

Lani (made up 22 lengths to run 5th in the Preakness) (bobbled upper stretch)

My day is going to be crazy busy tomorrow which is almost a shame because that whole card is AMAZING. Lots of good racing at Belmont tomorrow.

Track is screaming fast. Two track records have been broken today. On a day like this, if you like long shots ,this is the place to be. No chalk has finished first.