April 26, 201610 yr This is a bit of an unexpected move since Hawk had a decent 2015 season, but with Karlos Dansby now here and P.J Dawson rising, Hawk's role was about to diminish significantly. This isn't a surprising move itself, but the timing is odd since the team has had the entire offseason to do this, but for some reason waited until the week of the draft to do so. Bengals parting ways with A.J. Hawk - Cincy Jungle
April 26, 201610 yr The release isn't surprising to me but I agree the timing is. Could they have been waiting to see how a player like Flowers was physically coming back in OTA's after injury?
April 26, 201610 yr I would have thought they'd wait till after Tez was back. Pretty sure if he was on the opening roster for the team, he had to be paid for whole year. Honestly thought he might be part of a trade during the lower rounds of the draft.
April 26, 201610 yr The Bengals LB's need to do a better job in pass coverage vs. TE's and backs but they also need to be able to fill a gap to stop those big backs in the division.
April 26, 201610 yr Honestly, I thought they had already done this. Was actually surprised the other day when I saw a pic of some of the guys in the weight room, and he was there.
April 26, 201610 yr He'll be back more than likely. He may get signed elsewhere, but he won't be a hot commodity. Seems like they used to do this with Chris Crocker EVERY year.
April 27, 201610 yr He'll be back more than likely. He may get signed elsewhere, but he won't be a hot commodity. Seems like they used to do this with Chris Crocker EVERY year. They never released Crocker. They just never signed him back when his contract was up until injuries made them.
April 27, 201610 yr This is a bit of an unexpected move since Hawk had a decent 2015 season, but with Karlos Dansby now here and P.J Dawson rising, Hawk's role was about to diminish significantly. This isn't a surprising move itself, but the timing is odd since the team has had the entire offseason to do this, but for some reason waited until the week of the draft to do so. Bengals parting ways with A.J. Hawk - Cincy Jungle I don't really see it as an unexpected move at all. I know I mentioned it after they signed Dansby that Hawk probably is done in Cincy then. He didn't really do much at all last year to help the defense. Obviously a good locker room guy. However with Dansby now here it made no sense to keep him. Especially with younger guys they want to see play.
April 27, 201610 yr Decent wont cut it in the NFL. Serviceable? Yes, but they need someone that is faster and will be more of an impact player.
April 27, 201610 yr He didn't get many snaps last year so you'd have to think Dansby will get Hawks snaps. Based on the numbers, Dansby didn't exactly kill it in coverage. He's been slipping every year.
April 27, 201610 yr Author As much as anything I think Hawk is a victim of the NFL Salary Structure. Having to pay a Vet with several years experience around double what you would pay a rookie hurts guys like Hawk. If I understand the process correctly the team gets a Veteran Minimum Benefit meaning the whole amount doesn't count against the salary cap but still the team is on the hook for the full amount. Additionally, I am not sure Hawk would have qualified for the Vet Minimum Benefit because he signed a two year deal vs. a one year contract. If anyone knows this process well I would love to see it explained in an easy to understand manner. In short, I would like to see the NFL adopt new rules where the cost for a handful of Vets on each team is exactly the same as the cost for players in the first couple of years in the league. If so, it may be perfect for Hawk this year and maybe someone like Peko next year. The result would be some aging former stars could stay in the league one or two years longer than normal. I think it would be good for the game and certainly good for the players that still want to play and/or need the money.
April 27, 201610 yr They never released Crocker. They just never signed him back when his contract was up until injuries made them. Same thing basically except he wasn't under contract. Really AJ wasn't either with it not being guaranteed. They basically gave up rights for him to play for them at that salary. He will probably be around to pick up in case of injuries, just like Crocker was. Different, I know, but they are doing the same thing with him IMO.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.