April 17, 201610 yr I am not good. Handicap of 20. I know I am not great so I do not try to hit off the black tees. Why do people who struggle to hit it straight or far insist on hitting off the black tees, thus slowing down pace of play for the people behind them? If you can't hit 200-225 consistently, then hit off the white.
April 17, 201610 yr They want to "see the whole course". I can see it just fine as I walk from the tips to the forward tees.
April 17, 201610 yr Play it forward if needed. Speeds up the day for everyone. And it's much more fun hitting 7 or 8 irons into Par 4's than having to hit a 3 wood.
April 17, 201610 yr My Pet Peeve are those that take forever to putt, especially less than 6 feet. They walk around and look at every angle. They usually miss the putt. The best putters I have played with, measure it up from behind, and stroke it.
April 17, 201610 yr On busy days what I don't like are idiots who tee off while your still chipping/wedging up to the green from the fairway. First time it happens, I take it as a mistake or a sign my group needs to speed up play. The second time, I'm getting in the cart and going back to the previous tee to let you know what I think.
April 17, 201610 yr Guys that cuss over every bad shot. I learned a LONG time ago that golf wasn't gonna put money in my bank account. Just have some fun.
April 17, 201610 yr Guys that cuss over every bad shot. I learned a LONG time ago that golf wasn't gonna put money in my bank account. Just have some fun. And let's add in throwing clubs, complaining about the 45th bad shot you've hit (which means you weren't good enough to make the shot, and shouldn't be mad about it), and just getting mad about your over all quality of play. If you can't break 90, you shouldn't get upset about shooting 100. Just enjoy the day.
April 17, 201610 yr Guys that cuss over every bad shot. I learned a LONG time ago that golf wasn't gonna put money in my bank account. Just have some fun. AMEN BROTHER!
April 17, 201610 yr And let's add in throwing clubs, complaining about the 45th bad shot you've hit (which means you weren't good enough to make the shot, and shouldn't be mad about it), and just getting mad about your over all quality of play. If you can't break 90, you shouldn't get upset about shooting 100. Just enjoy the day. Most of the time you're in a beautifully manicured "park", so enjoy the walk.
April 17, 201610 yr Guys that cuss over every bad shot. I learned a LONG time ago that golf wasn't gonna put money in my bank account. Just have some fun. I agree. Cussing is crude to begin with. No need for it anywhere. I'm not talking about the occasional slang dirty wordy . I'm talking about the big religious no-no's that start with G and end with n. I play with some guys that go to church every Sunday and then come to the golf course afterwards and cuss up a storm on every bad shot. I ask them what was their purpose in going to church. Is it just a social event?
April 17, 201610 yr My Pet Peeve are those that take forever to putt, especially less than 6 feet. They walk around and look at every angle. They usually miss the putt. The best putters I have played with, measure it up from behind, and stroke it. This irks me, too. I occasionally play with a guy that does that. He first squats behind the ball and checks out his line. This is after taking 30 seconds to get the line he's drawn on his ball lined up with the hole. Then he goes to the other side to look back at it. But he's still not through. He thinks it necessary to look at the lie from both side angles. Then he walks back to where his ball is and squats down again to take another look from that angle. By the time he stands over his putt for an eternity and finally putts the grass on the green has grown a little longer. He's slow and methodical but doesn't like to allow faster players to play through. He'll sometimes do it but he grumbles and usually says, "there's another group right behind them. If we start letting one group through we'll be letting groups through all day." He doesn't seem to understand that his slow play is why the whole golf course is backed up. :taz:
April 17, 201610 yr Another thing that drives me batty is guys that think a dollar skins game or even a friendly game is the US Open. I play with one fellow that you literally have to freeze stiffer than a statue when he's hitting or chipping/putting. Most golfers that's played for a while already know golf etiquette and are going to be quite on shots or putts. But if you as much as twitch and he misses a putt it's automatically your fault....."I saw those big white shoes of yours out of the corner of my eye". :isurrender:
April 17, 201610 yr Many golfers could benefit from simplifying their game. Playing from shorter tee boxes (as was mentioned) would instantly make golf more fun from most. Also, I see too many golfers attempting shots they have no business trying. Laying up, chipping out of trouble, using shorter, easier to hit clubs will improve your score and speed up your play. I've played with guys that can't hit a driver to save their lives, but still hit it every hole, costing them strokes, frustrating them, and slowing down play. For example, on a 400 yard par 4, there's nothing wrong with teeing off with a 150 yard 7 iron, another 150 yard 7 iron on your second shot, followed with a wedge and a two putt for bogey. Simple and easy. But too many guys pull out the driver, slice it into the woods losing their ball, the trying to hit the ball as far as they can on their second shot, and screw that up as well, leaving a long iron from a bad spot for their third, which they duff as well, eventually leading to a 7 or 8 on the hole. Swallow some pride, attempt shots (with clubs you can hit consistently) that you can make most of the time and you'll score better and have more fun.
April 17, 201610 yr And while I'm on a roll, how about the guys that feel it's necessary to get out their range finder and squint through it on every shot. This is annoying and when they do it right next to the 100 yard marker it's worse than annoying . Duh..., the flag is on the front of the green so since the markers are measured to the middle of each green a good guess is the shot is approximately 90 yards. No need for a range finder, particularly if they're playing on the home course that they're familiar with. Again, these little club golf matches are not the US Open or the Masters. You're not playing for a million dollars, you're playing for $1.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.