Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Duke 2016-17

Featured Replies

It wouldn't change my odds any. Duke returns more experience than UK. Duke has a better coach than UK. Frank Jackson, Jayson Tatum and HGIII along with Grayson, Luke, Matt and Amile? Why wouldn't they be the favorites over 5 new faces at UK returning with who? Marcus Lee? Briscoe coming back? Willis and Hawkins?

 

Duke would be what? 2:1 odds. UK at 4:1?

 

I agree.

Duke's returning players are better than Kentucky's. The recruiting classes for both schools are great. I would think Duke will be a slight favorite for number one next year by most prognosticators, with UK a close second.

  • Replies 106
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He probably isn't going to see much time next season, but I'm a huge Javin De'Laurier fan. Absurd to think he'll likely be their 10th or 11th guy. He'd be a freshman all conference guy at pretty much any other high major in the country...

 

Guys I talk to on reddit are very high on him. Naturally, because of the roster Duke has going next year he wont see as much PT, but his sophomore year expecting him to be in the rotation.

Guys I talk to on reddit are very high on him. Naturally, because of the roster Duke has going next year he wont see as much PT, but his sophomore year expecting him to be in the rotation.

 

I watched Javin a ton last spring and summer. Really, really high on him long term...

I don't give any college coach a whole lot of credit for developing talent. These kids were super talented when they stepped on campus. Their work ethic and mentality plays a larger part of their success than their coach developing talent.

 

Coach K is a better coach than Coach Cal. I don't even see how that is a debate.

 

Since Cal has arrived at UK Duke has won two titles and UK has won one. UK and Duke can win the title every year with the classes and coaching they have. You asked why would anyone choose Duke over UK. I gave you the answer. Coach K is a better coach and Duke has won more titles than UK since Cal took over the NCAA scene with tons of one and done players on UK rosters. Every individual player wants different things. There's nothing wrong with choosing UK over Duke of vice versa. I gave you my opinion on why a kid would choose Duke.

 

Duke has had there fair share of one and done. Coach K is the best coach in college. But since Cal has been at UK he has produced more impact players at the next level. He deserves credit for that and how he develops players.

 

The one announcer during the Jordan Classic gave the percent example. He came to practice and saw Julius Randle play and asked Cal why he didn't just post Randle up every play no one in college can guard him in the post. Cal 's response was sure that is what is best for Cal and UK and not best for Randle's development as a player. So that's why he used a lot of high post action.

 

You could point to multiple cases where Cal improved a players game for the pro's , which may not of been in the best interest of UK winning in the short term.

 

That is why I think Cal has a slight edge in recruiting over coach k. Coach K keeps it close to even by owning the National team program.

Duke has had there fair share of one and done. Coach K is the best coach in college. But since Cal has been at UK he has produced more impact players at the next level. He deserves credit for that and how he develops players.

 

The one announcer during the Jordan Classic gave the percent example. He came to practice and saw Julius Randle play and asked Cal why he didn't just post Randle up every play no one in college can guard him in the post. Cal 's response was sure that is what is best for Cal and UK and not best for Randle's development as a player. So that's why he used a lot of high post action.

 

You could point to multiple cases where Cal improved a players game for the pro's , which may not of been in the best interest of UK winning in the short term.

 

That is why I think Cal has a slight edge in recruiting over coach k. Coach K keeps it close to even by owning the National team program.

 

This is true and I was hoping no one on here heard the announcer say that. :lol2:

 

At the same time Julius still has no right hand and his low post game still needs work. He still has ways to go but there is no doubt his year at UK helped develop certain aspects of his game that has carried on to success in the NBA. I won't deny that.

 

As always there will be some that Cal can develop(Randle, Kanter) some who never change(Harrisons, WCS) and some who are held back because of numbers and only one ball(Booker, Bledsoe). I won't say he develops them all but I won't deny that he has made some better pros than any other college coach would have made them.

This is true and I was hoping no one on here heard the announcer say that. :lol2:

 

At the same time Julius still has no right hand and his low post game still needs work. He still has ways to go but there is no doubt his year at UK helped develop certain aspects of his game that has carried on to success in the NBA. I won't deny that.

 

As always there will be some that Cal can develop(Randle, Kanter) some who never change(Harrisons, WCS) and some who are held back because of numbers and only one ball(Booker, Bledsoe). I won't say he develops them all but I won't deny that he has made some better pros than any other college coach would have made them.

 

I would say the Harrisons are a good example of stock who dropped. No arguing that. But the other 3 Booker , Bledsoe and WCS all had stock rise under Cal. Neither Booker or Bledsoe were considered 1 and done before college. WCS wasn't even on NBA radar coming out of HS and finished his rookie year I think 6th in PER out of all rookies.

By the way I've been waiting for a reason to post that line from Jordan event since Friday night . This just gave me a reason haha.

I would say the Harrisons are a good example of stock who dropped. No arguing that. But the other 3 Booker , Bledsoe and WCS all had stock rise under Cal. Neither Booker or Bledsoe were considered 1 and done before college. WCS wasn't even on NBA radar coming out of HS and finished his rookie year I think 6th in PER out of all rookies.

 

WCS was at UK for 3 years and I'd argue that he never has gotten any better as a player he just has freakish athleticism and he learned how to use it to be successful. He still can't shoot, he makes dunks and layups, rebounds and blocks shots.

 

Booker was held back because he couldn't get on the court and Bledsoe played out of position because of Wall.

By the way I've been waiting for a reason to post that line from Jordan event since Friday night . This just gave me a reason haha.

 

I've been waiting for someone to say something ever since I heard it. :lol2:

WCS was at UK for 3 years and I'd argue that he never has gotten any better as a player he just has freakish athleticism and he learned how to use it to be successful. He still can't shoot, he makes dunks and layups, rebounds and blocks shots.

 

Booker was held back because he couldn't get on the court and Bledsoe played out of position because of Wall.

 

But you have to admit neither Booker or Bledsoe were considered one and done prior to signing with UK. Regardless if you feel if they were used right , their stock rose. No way anyone could imagine 2 years ago Booker would of finished this year in the NBA like he did.

But you have to admit neither Booker or Bledsoe were considered one and done prior to signing with UK. Regardless if you feel if they were used right , their stock rose. No way anyone could imagine 2 years ago Booker would of finished this year in the NBA like he did.

 

True. They weren't.

 

Agreed on Booker but how much credit does Cal deserve for Booker's success this season? I'm not sure we'll ever know and without Bledsoe and Knight getting injured there's a chance he'd still be planted on the bench. I do look forward to following his pro career. I like him a lot. A whole lot. He and KAT have a chance to be the two best Wildcats in the NBA.

Who would of thought that Ulis would only be at UK 2 years. Many including myself thought he would be here 4 years. I do give Cal the credit for this along with Ulis work ethic.

True. They weren't.

 

Agreed on Booker but how much credit does Cal deserve for Booker's success this season? I'm not sure we'll ever know and without Bledsoe and Knight getting injured there's a chance he'd still be planted on the bench. I do look forward to following his pro career. I like him a lot. A whole lot. He and KAT have a chance to be the two best Wildcats in the NBA.

 

Better than Davis?

Better than Davis?

 

Yes. He can't stay healthy. If he isn't careful he'll end up like Derrick Rose. This was supposed to be the year Davis took the jump and became one of the top 5 players in the NBA. Instead the Pelicans flopped and he got hurt and stayed hurt. Again. It's like he and MKG are cursed or something.

 

KAT is unreal. He's arguably better than Davis offensively, he's become a rebounding monster, he's no slouch on defense and he's going to be coached by Tom Thibodeau so he should get better defensively if Tom doesn't run him into the ground. Everyone drools over Davis being 7 foot with guard skills but if folks would take some time to watch KAT I think they will see the potential he has to be a very very special player.

 

I love Booker's mentality and I think that will take him a long way in the NBA. He has proven he belongs. There's something about that kid that I really really like.

Who would of thought that Ulis would only be at UK 2 years. Many including myself thought he would be here 4 years. I do give Cal the credit for this along with Ulis work ethic.

 

I can't give Cal credit for Ulis. I think he was destined to be where and who he is right now.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.