March 22, 201610 yr Amazing how two can view the same event and see totally different things. Guess it depends on the color of the lens you're looking through.
March 22, 201610 yr Amazing how two can view the same event and see totally different things. Guess it depends on the color of the lens you're looking through. Exactly why our country is on the road to split. Its history.
March 22, 201610 yr I would've liked to have seen all political prisoners get released prior,during or shortly after the Obama visit. I think if this would happen the Cuban Americans would back off with the negative view of this visit. If I'm an a American business im still not convinced these guys don't kick me out after two years and take over everything that I've built. Plus 51% ownership for Cuba seems a little steep.
March 22, 201610 yr My question is, are the Cuban citizens going to benefit from this, or is it just going to benefit the Castro regime?
March 22, 201610 yr My question is, are the Cuban citizens going to benefit from this, or is it just going to benefit the Castro regime? Remains to be seen. I am on the fence about this whole thing.
March 22, 201610 yr 60 years of alienation has worked great. Let's try this maybe the population will make a movement. It actually has worked great. Cuba and it's dictatorship was irrelevant. The United states decided to make a brutal dictatorship relevant again.
March 22, 201610 yr Remains to be seen. I am on the fence about this whole thing. If taxing income by 90% is benefitting. Castro is going to get rich .
March 22, 201610 yr Because there is money to be made. They'll invest; and they won't hesitate anymore than tech companies did over China or textile companies did over Vietnam. If there is so much money to be made with this government why have no businesses from any other country been able to come in and make any real money.
March 22, 201610 yr I would've liked to have seen all political prisoners get released prior,during or shortly after the Obama visit. I think if this would happen the Cuban Americans would back off with the negative view of this visit. If I'm an a American business im still not convinced these guys don't kick me out after two years and take over everything that I've built. Plus 51% ownership for Cuba seems a little steep. Cuba gets 51% ownership plus from what I'm reading corporate tax rates much steeper on the 49% you can generate income , when compared to other islands in the area. I'm trying to find an exact figure. So to do business in Cuba you have to give up controlling interest and get taxed at a much higher rate. Plus your employees income will be taxed at 90% . I've only been doing this business thing for about a decade but to me Starwood is making a monumental mistake as long as Castro is in charge. If they want to take a calculated risk this regime won't be in place for long and willing to wait it out its their move. I personally wouldn't be comfortable investing my shareholders money into a business where the government has the controlling interest , high taxes and O yea a history of confiscating American businesses and wealth.
March 22, 201610 yr They're all taking a risk based on what we think we know of the Vice President and presumptive heir to the throne, as it were. He's believed to be much more inclined to openness and increased relations. With Venezuela's economic troubles, the islands financial umbilical cord has been cut. They need influx and the US isn't asking a whole lot. As long as the right people start making money, this will continue.
March 22, 201610 yr They're all taking a risk based on what we think we know of the Vice President and presumptive heir to the throne, as it were. He's believed to be much more inclined to openness and increased relations. With Venezuela's economic troubles, the islands financial umbilical cord has been cut. They need influx and the US isn't asking a whole lot. As long as the right people start making money, this will continue. Any risk vs reward scenario for an established business I just don't see how it makes sense from any business model. If it's some high stake risk taker trying to make a splash I get it. I just keep looking at the numbers it doesn't make sense. I'm not even talking the ethics of it. When I talk business I'm just looking at the numbers.
March 22, 201610 yr My question is, are the Cuban citizens going to benefit from this, or is it just going to benefit the Castro regime?Ha!!!! Does anyone believe that the citizens of Cuba will get any type of positive benefit?
March 22, 201610 yr This is the carrot method: dangle it out there and see if they will take it. COULD these companies lose millions? They could, but more importantly they return to the mainland and have reservations on ever going back. Cuba needs us more than we need them. Reach a hand out. They may change their ways in time. Some of you are way too stubborn.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.