March 9, 201610 yr Yep just saw it after my last post. I see I chose the wrong one they would sign. Which again proves I know very little. Just back from lunch, saw the Iloka signing - good to know. Bengals.com also said they are in discussions with Jones today.
March 9, 201610 yr Silver and Hue are connected at the hip. That says a lot about Jones. The one good thing is we will get to see Jones true value this year by how he does in Detroit and how Cincy does without him. The only thing we do know is the best two years of offense under Dalton has been when Jones was the number 2 wr and played. The years he didn't play, well we already know how Dalton looked those years. Which by the way I hope you all are right and get to say after next season how wrong I was on him and how we didn't miss him.
March 9, 201610 yr Yep just saw it after my last post. I see I chose the wrong one they would sign. Which again proves I know very little. The Bengals apparently offered Jones close to or at the 8 million range the Lion's offered, but the opportunity to be the number guy in Detroit and get more targets was the deciding factor. So the Bengals apparently did value Jones very much. On my phone right now but I will provide a link soon. I was wrong on the Browns offer though.
March 9, 201610 yr Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 35s35 seconds ago Marvin Jones' deal with the #Lions is for 5 years at $40M, source said. $20M in guarantees, $17M fully guaranteed. Thru 3 years, it's $27M Figured I'd throw it in this thread.
March 9, 201610 yr Author Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 35s35 seconds ago Marvin Jones' deal with the #Lions is for 5 years at $40M, source said. $20M in guarantees, $17M fully guaranteed. Thru 3 years, it's $27M Figured I'd throw it in this thread. Good for him, gotta get that money.
March 9, 201610 yr With the Browns probably losing Benjamin and them not doing a full court press on Jones with Hue there, says a whole lot! He probably knows Jones worth more than anyone going after him. Because he won't pay the price, again says a lot. Looks like Sanu may be going to the Patriots. Sources: Patriots, Mohamed Sanu have expressed mutual interest | Boston Herald :cry:
March 9, 201610 yr Have to resign Pac-Man imo. If they don't they will have to draft a corner. But I think they will resign him. I think they have to go linebacker in the first round. I'm not sure their best value would be with a receiver in that spot, I think they can snag someone in the 2nd round. Mel Kiper has Noah Spence going to the Bengals. I don't think he drops nearly that far. Is Jaylon Smith going to drop that far with his injury? If he does that is who I want.
March 9, 201610 yr Here is the link. Sure sounds like the Bengals did truly value Jones and wanted him back and were willing to pay him to do that because they do highly value him. However he wants a chance to be more of the guy, which he gets to get paid and have a chance to be the guy. So you can't really blame him. Initial reports had the Jones deal at $8 million per year, a number that the Bengals believed to be comfortable with and were in range with it. But they couldn’t offer him the same amount of chances as a potential No. 1 target now teamed with Golden Tate and not Green and Eifert. They were so in sync with the numbers that they thought they were close to a deal Tuesday night. According to NFL Network, the deal is for $40 million, $17 million guaranteed and a $9 million average in the first three years. That's a page out of the Bengals book, which typically front loads money and has declining salaries on the back end. Jones, who turns 26 next week, had his break-out season in 2013 with 10 touchdowns before missing all of the 2014 season with foot problems. The Bengals are going to make sure they get a third-round pick in compensation for the Jones deal in the 2017 draft, so they won't be making any strikes on unrestricted free agents. They're still focused on retaining their own, such as Adam Jones, Nelson, and backup linebacker Vincent Rey. Iloka returns for five years; Marvin heads to Detroit
March 9, 201610 yr Guru I know a lot of people have said they now trust the Bengals to make the right moves and trust Tobin. So with that thinking what do you all think of the Bengals apparently being willing to pay basically the same as the Lion's offered? That seems to show the bengals front office people thought pretty highly of Jones and his importance. Even though most people in here disagree, it seems the Bengals thought he was worth that price too.
March 10, 201610 yr Call me crazy and some of you will, but I'd try and get Mike Wallace on the cheap. ALL HE CAN DO is stretch the field, but he will burn someone eventually during the game with the one on ones he will get. Now will he be pouting and screw up, that may happen. But worth a 5M contract to me.
March 10, 201610 yr Call me crazy and some of you will, but I'd try and get Mike Wallace on the cheap. ALL HE CAN DO is stretch the field, but he will burn someone eventually during the game with the one on ones he will get. Now will he be pouting and screw up, that may happen. But worth a 5M contract to me. Your willing to pay 5 million a year for him but you were basically against the Bengals paying 7 million a year for a guy much younger and just entering his prime? I honestly wouldn't mind Wallace but not for 5 million a year. I honestly wouldn't even try to sign him until after the draft unless he would sign for cheap before it. Not to mention if they sign Wallace now they lose the 3rd round compensation pick they will get next year for Jones leaving in free agency. So they are best off waiting until after the draft.
March 10, 201610 yr Your willing to pay 5 million a year for him but you were basically against the Bengals paying 7 million a year for a guy much younger and just entering his prime? I honestly wouldn't mind Wallace but not for 5 million a year. I honestly wouldn't even try to sign him until after the draft unless he would sign for cheap before it. Not to mention if they sign Wallace now they lose the 3rd round compensation pick they will get next year for Jones leaving in free agency. So they are best off waiting until after the draft. Since the Vikes released Wallace (fired him) does that work the same way with compensation picks?
March 10, 201610 yr Since the Vikes released Wallace (fired him) does that work the same way with compensation picks? No it doesn't.
March 10, 201610 yr Since the Vikes released Wallace (fired him) does that work the same way with compensation picks? No it doesn't. Are you all sure? Cause technically he is now an unrestricted free agent, and apparently you can't sign a UN restricted free agent or else you lose that compensation pick. I could be completely wrong but that is how I understand it.
March 10, 201610 yr Your willing to pay 5 million a year for him but you were basically against the Bengals paying 7 million a year for a guy much younger and just entering his prime? I honestly wouldn't mind Wallace but not for 5 million a year. I honestly wouldn't even try to sign him until after the draft unless he would sign for cheap before it. Not to mention if they sign Wallace now they lose the 3rd round compensation pick they will get next year for Jones leaving in free agency. So they are best off waiting until after the draft. I might have given 7M for Jones, (might). He will not be very effective in Detroit IMO. He will get a lot more attention and Stafford is not as accurate as AD, much better arm but not as accurate. Also, he is following a legend as a #!. Even though the Lions know he isn't CJ, the fans will not give him a pass. Sanu will do much better in ATL because JUlio demands the same attention that Green does.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.