6th, 7th and 8th Region Tourney Outlook/Predictions

Although it is early for predictions, how are things looking in advance of the 6th, 7th and 8th region tournaments? Being hot, healthy and having good luck is the mode all coaches want their teams to be in heading into the post-season. C'mon and go out on a limb and let's hear it!

Although it is early for predictions, how are things looking in advance of the 6th, 7th and 8th region tournaments? Being hot, healthy and having good luck is the mode all coaches want their teams to be in heading into the post-season. C'mon and go out on a limb and let's hear it!

The 6th region is getting interesting because many thought Butler would walk away with it. Mercy has proved to be a viable choice to win this region. Now you can bring Bullitt East back in the mix. Without their star player (Duvall) they have competed at a high level. According to a recent article in the CJ, Duvall is coming back soon and should play in districts. My pick is still Butler in the 6th.

Male is by far the class of the 7th, but could be upset by the other three main contenders (Eastern, Manual, Sacred Heart).

Duvall did play for BE last night, came off the bench, coach put her in and out through the game. She wound up being the main factor in the 3 point win over North Bullitt. Scored 21 points, with many of those coming in the late moments of the game.

8th region: I'll take Walton-Verona thinking that the Ison kid takes over. But, that's strictly a guess since I've only seen 2 teams play this year.

7th: I'll go team by team--

Male has the best overall player (Green) in the region and is the most physically imposing team in the state. But I can't give them the nod. Their lack of self control when things get tough will be their undoing.

Manual just doesn't shoot it well enough. Johnson has been much better this year than I thought but she's the only real outside threat(IMO). They're tough to handle in the post, but just don't see them getting past this bunch.

Eastern has a boat-load of talent. But there's something about them that I can't figure out -- why don't they have a post presence? Porter is a heck of a player, and kid, for that matter. But she roams around the perimeter of the paint and never looks to attack. And, they really need a post player to take the load off their shooters. If they get something inside from someone, they have a chance.

Sacred Heart gets my vote. I'm going out on a limb here but I'm putting my faith in Donna Moir and the shooting ability of the sophomores. As with many others, they have absolutely NO inside presence. But, they have several kids who shoot it very well (38% from 3 on the season). I think they'll get hot and coach Moir will be able to scheme against the other teams weaknesses. I'll also say that if they play Male in the regional final, there will be at least 2 technicals on the Male players/bench.

6th:

Bullitt East is hard to predict. It looks like Duvall has recovered very nicely from her surgery. Actually, from last night's result, it looks like she is right back where she left off. In many cases where you bring a player back late in the season, you wonder what happens to team synergy. I don't think it matters in this case. She is a completely different player than anyone on this roster. She can play every position on the floor and will fit in with whoever you have out there. They were playing well without her so... they have a heck of a chance.

Mercy can beat anybody. They seem to always play well defensively. In big games, their coaching staff almost always comes up with a scheme that they believe will beat their opponent. And usually, the kids do a great job of executing the plan (see eastern, butler and e'town). Their problem's arrive on the offensive end of the floor. At times, they dribble around the perimeter and take too many threes without looking to the post. They may win the 6th but if not... look at the box score and you'll see a ton of missed threes.

Butler has to be my pick to win the 6th, and the sweet 16 for that matter. They have it all-- shooters, post presence, athletes, depth and a great coach. Oh, and most of them have been there before (won it all the year before last).

Well since you said it, it must be true. Thanks for clearing it up.

If anyone other then Butler or Mercy won it I would be surprised.

I would give Bullitt East an outside chance with Duvall coming back. But lots of unknowns with her coming back so late in the year.