10th Region Rankings & Weekly Review (1-24-16)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the 10th region has fallen, a team with 7 losses is the #1 team in the 10th. A fun regional tournament is in the forecast this year, and the district tourney's could mean upsets for some teams. Coach Code has done a great job this year!

Yeah, the 10th has been a little spoiled. Up until last year they have had at least a top 20 team in the state every year since the early 2000s, with a top 5 team about 40% of the time during that stretch. This year I'm not sure there is a top 40 team, but you have 4 or 5 that are just below that range.

How the 10th region has fallen, a team with 7 losses is the #1 team in the 10th. A fun regional tournament is in the forecast this year, and the district tourney's could mean upsets for some teams. Coach Code has done a great job this year!

7 losses

2 were to top ranked Mercer County

1 was to Top 20 North Hardin at Central Hardin

1 at Top 30 Madison Central

1 at Paris

1 to Pulaski County at Southwestern

1 to Campbell County at home

Yeah, the 10th has been a little spoiled. Up until last year they have had at least a top 20 team in the state every year since the early 2000s, with a top 5 team about 40% of the time during that stretch. This year I'm not sure there is a top 40 team, but you have 4 or 5 that are just below that range.

Maher ratings

Montgomery County 41

Campbell County 48

GRC 53

Bishop Brossart 55

Paris 62

Mason County 86

Augusta 105

Bracken County 110

Harrison County 115

Scott 128

More parity this year than I have ever seen in the 10th. I agree that it will be an exciting district and regional tourney's . GRC may not make it to the regional tourney 2 years in a row and that is very unusual. We most likely will play MoCo. That game will be a war. The bright side of it for GRC is that the district is at GRC. Yes I believe in home court advantage, but it doesn't mean you will win.

Randy is not the only one finally giving the Mustangs a little love. Cincinnati.com just released this article;

Dedication, focus bring surprise season for Brossart

Expectations are never low at Bishop Brossart, but few people both inside and outside of the program anticipated the success that the Mustangs’ boys basketball team has found this season.

After a 14-12 season in 2014-15 and a 3-2 start to the 2015-16 season, the Mustangs have rolled. Brossart has won 12 of its past 13 games, including nine in a row heading into a Jan. 26 game at Calvary Christian. The Mustangs have climbed to No. 5 in the latest Enquirer Coaches’ Poll.

“We have had a lot of really special teams but this one was such a surprise to most everybody and even a bit to our staff,” head coach Mike Code said. “Their dedication, effort, and focus have been great.”

The impressive stretch to close out 2015 and ring in 2016 included winning the Stultz Pharmacy Holiday Classic hosted by Greenup County and winning the 10th Region All “A” Classic. With a win against Paris on Jan. 16, the Mustangs earned the program’s 13th All “A” regional title, their 10th under Code.

“It means a great deal especially for a team nobody ranked at the start of the season,” said Code. “It makes the players’ hard work from summer to now well worth it.”

The Mustangs will represent the 10th Region in the All “A” state tournament in Frankfort beginning on Jan. 28. Brossart won its only All “A” state title in 2007. Brossart is one of the most battle-tested teams entering the state tournament. The Mustangs played in two holiday classics and endured a stretch of nine games in 16 days from Dec. 18 to Jan. 2. The All “A” tournament presents another challenge that will only help the Mustangs prepare for the postseason in late February.

“I think it helps to play in high pressure situations and keeps up sharp during the dog days of January,” said Code.

As a team and as individuals, the Mustangs entered this season under the radar. Three seniors have emerged as standouts and garnered the attention of opponents throughout the state. Jackson Crawford leads the team in scoring at 16.9 points per game and in rebounding with 6.1 per game. Joey Hickman pulls down 5.8 boards per game and chips in 8.5 points per contest. Jacob Zai is the team’s marksman, averaging 13.6 points per game while shooting 42.3 percent from beyond the arc.

“They have left a great legacy,” said Code of his senior leaders. “Jackson has become a real force this year. Nobody put him in any top player lists before the year but I think he's on everybody list now. Zai just continues to get better and expand what he's capable of doing. Joey is our heart and soul; I don't think anybody plays harder than he does.”

Despite the recent stretch of success, the Mustangs remain hungry and determined to prove doubters wrong. They are a self-motivated bunch.

“I think we have a group that plays well together and has challenged each other to improve their play all year,” said Code. “We all have to continue to improve. We have gradually gotten better, but we still have a long way to go.”

7 losses

2 were to top ranked Mercer County

1 was to Top 20 North Hardin at Central Hardin

1 at Top 30 Madison Central

1 at Paris

1 to Pulaski County at Southwestern

1 to Campbell County at home

Moco has lost to everyone that they should/could have. They haven't beat anyone that they really shouldn't have. Scott co maybe, but that was early in the year. If they played today I would pick Scott co due to their improvement.

The region winner could easily have a below .500 record, along with 10+ loses.