Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

So, basically, it’s fair to say that the inaction of the refs decided the outcome..

Featured Replies

When explaining recently on the league-owned network that Steelers linebacker Joey Porter shouldn’t have been on the field after receiver Antonio Brown was injured, NFL V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino said that the remedy would have been not to throw the flag but to simply get him off the field.

 

The final analysis of the situation from 345 Park Avenue suggests otherwise.

 

By fining Porter $10,000, the league concedes that Porter did something he shouldn’t have done. Which reasonably means that it’s something for which he should have been flagged.

 

Indeed, Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak was fined $10,000, too, and the officials flagged Munchak for his behavior, which included pulling the hair of Bengals safety Reggie Nelson. The five-figure fine for Porter represents a concession that he, too, should have been penalized.

 

If he had been, it would have at a minimum offset the 15-yard penalty imposed on Bengals cornerback Pacman Jones, who made contact with an official while protesting Porter’s presence on the field. At best, it would have wiped out the 15-yard penalty imposed on Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict for applying an illegal hit to Brown, since Jones perhaps wouldn’t have so zealously objected to Porter’s presence if Porter had properly been flagged.

 

So, basically, it’s fair to say that the inaction of the game officials decided the outcome of the game.

 

By fining Joey Porter, league essentially admits he should have been flagged | ProFootballTalk

Need to put a * beside this game.

When I saw the fine on Porter today, I thought exactly the same: Should have been a 50-yard FG attempt, with offsetting penalties on PacMan and Porter. However, only one team ... the one with the immature players ... swallowed the bait at the end of the game.

 

I have far less of a problem with Burfict's penalty than PacMan's blunder.

Weren't some of the Bengal coaches on the field as well?

Weren't some of the Bengal coaches on the field as well?

Yep, the all-22 shows several.

Yep, the all-22 shows several.

 

Now let's be fair. They weren't jawing in the middle of the field with players. Doesn't matter though, the Bengals were stupid, no use blaming anyone else.

When I saw the fine on Porter today, I thought exactly the same: Should have been a 50-yard FG attempt, with offsetting penalties on PacMan and Porter. However, only one team ... the one with the immature players ... swallowed the bait at the end of the game.

 

I have far less of a problem with Burfict's penalty than PacMan's blunder.

 

 

Still would have been 18 seconds left so who knows.

I think the guy would have nailed a 50-yarder.

 

Would have been exponentially more difficult, but I can't say the outcome was decided.

Maybe some conspiracy theories were more correct than even I thought. :whistling: After all the rehashing of the misbehavior , the Bengals will still not be playing this weekend. And NFL fines do not reset the outcomes. Sorry, but what's $10,000 to these guys anyway? Get the extra yards on Bengal penalties and the win, pretty sound bargain.

Edited by Sportsaholic Mamaw

Still would have been 18 seconds left so who knows.

Agreed. Steelers had enough time to run one or two more plays, and I definitely agree with McPapa that their kicker would have nailed it from 50, based on his previous kicks.

 

Bottom line: You just can't be stupid with less than 2 minutes to play, and Bengals were. It's like Chad and T.O. resurfaced as defensive players the last 2 minutes of the game.

One other factor that I haven't seen discussed yet: How much did Marvin and the other coaches rev up this team before the game and at halftime? Some players can turn the frenzy on and off ... some can't. An analyst on ESPN thought this might have been a factor in the Burfict-PacMan penalties.

One other factor that I haven't seen discussed yet: How much did Marvin and the other coaches rev up this team before the game and at halftime? Some players can turn the frenzy on and off ... some can't. An analyst on ESPN thought this might have been a factor in the Burfict-PacMan penalties.

 

Gotta find a place between the Burfict/Jones antics and this classic:

 

Every team ends up on the wrong side of bad calls from time to time.

 

This wasn't that bad of a screw up. If Jones wasn't an idiot...

Now let's be fair. They weren't jawing in the middle of the field with players. Doesn't matter though, the Bengals were stupid, no use blaming anyone else.

Sure. I think Porter is a buffoon. I thought that when he was a player. And Lee Flowers before him. But if the rule was violated by his mere presence on the field, heck they were all out there. As an aside, I hope Porter moves on. He's "co linebackers coach" and is of no significance IMO.

  • Author
I think the guy would have nailed a 50-yarder.

 

Would have been exponentially more difficult, but I can't say the outcome was decided.

 

When Hill fumbled the ball I looked down on the field because the Steeler kicker was warming up right in front me. I watched him for a bit and then turned to the Steeler fan sitting next to me and asked him to look at the kicker. I said he is as cool as ever, totally in his own world, his body language was calm and confident.

 

Additionally, the rain really slowed up just before the kick and I agree with you pops, he would have nailed the 50 yarder too.

 

Oh well, when do we play the Steelers again later this year...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.