Mike Leake Close to Signing with St. Louis

HammerTime

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: Leake deal is five years, $80M with mutual option that could increase total value to $93M/$94M range.

He also gets a full no trade clause.

Yikes. I am clearly out of touch with "what a player is worth." Heyward signing didn't make sense to me. Samardjzia (sp?) didn't make sense. This doesn't make sense. Eventually, you realize that it is just your perception of reality that is wrong, not the reality.

Yikes. I am clearly out of touch with "what a player is worth." Heyward signing didn't make sense to me. Samardjzia (sp?) didn't make sense. This doesn't make sense. Eventually, you realize that it is just your perception of reality that is wrong, not the reality.

That was kind of the issue with the Homer Bailey deal at the time. The pitching market is just crazy and a lot of people can't wrap your head around giving Mike Leake $15M a year. It's just the way it is.

That was kind of the issue with the Homer Bailey deal at the time. The pitching market is just crazy and a lot of people can't wrap your head around giving Mike Leake $15M a year. It's just the way it is.

Leake has better career numbers than Bailey does. So one could argue Leake is worth as much as Bailey.

I'm with you but that is the going rate now. Salaries have gotten crazy.