July 19, 200620 yr Jason Larue overpaid. I can see that. Jason Larue not able to help this team on the field, offensively as well as defensively, based upon his past experience, can't see. Given the AB's, he will probably finish the season with stats similar to his yearly stats and I don't think that will be the Mendoza line. Batting in front of the pitcher doesn't help. Last night, he was pitched around twice. So his OBP went up but batting average went down.
July 19, 200620 yr Jason Larue overpaid. I can see that. Jason Larue not able to help this team on the field, offensively as well as defensively, based upon his past experience, can't see. Given the AB's, he will probably finish the season with stats similar to his yearly stats and I don't think that will be the Mendoza line. Batting in front of the pitcher doesn't help. Last night, he was pitched around twice. So his OBP went up but batting average went down. He'd better get seriously hot to get there. He'll struggle to reach .230 IMO. Never said he couldn't help defensively. But let me pose this question. If we could magically free-up Jason's salary to put in conjunction with what we saved in the last deal, and had more to spend at the deadline, do you think the catchers we have could not do more than enough defensively to compensate for the loss of Jason defensively? And do you not think that we could do better offensively from that position?
July 19, 200620 yr Jason Larue overpaid. I can see that. Jason Larue not able to help this team on the field, offensively as well as defensively, based upon his past experience, can't see. Given the AB's, he will probably finish the season with stats similar to his yearly stats and I don't think that will be the Mendoza line. Batting in front of the pitcher doesn't help. Last night, he was pitched around twice. So his OBP went up but batting average went down. How?:confused:
July 19, 200620 yr How?:confused: 2 walks in 4 plate appearances. 0 for 2 on the AB's that determine batting average.
July 19, 200620 yr He'd better get seriously hot to get there. He'll struggle to reach .230 IMO. Never said he couldn't help defensively. But let me pose this question. If we could magically free-up Jason's salary to put in conjunction with what we saved in the last deal, and had more to spend at the deadline, do you think the catchers we have could not do more than enough defensively to compensate for the loss of Jason defensively? And do you not think that we could do better offensively from that position? I posted on here 4-6 weeks ago to trade LaRue for relief pitching help because I thought he had the highest trade value of the 3 and we needed relief pitching help. Him not being traded, I think, speaks volumes on his trade value. I don't think he is as bad as a good portion of the fans are making him out to be, but do feel he is overpaid. Not sure we can do better from that position than what Larue normally puts up and what we have gotten from Ross first half of the season. I don't see a great many catchers in MLB putting up real highly productive numbers. And he has been known to get seriously hot. Not sure the BA can get way up. I was thinking more along the lines of HR's, RBI's, etc.
July 19, 200620 yr 2 walks in 4 plate appearances. 0 for 2 on the AB's that determine batting average. Than get a hit... Seriously, I still don't get that logic. Say he doesn't walk twice and doesn't get a hit. He's 0 for 4, that doesn't help. Say he doesn't walk twice and gets 1 hit, 1 for 4 is not that good (although sadly it improves his average). Say he does walk twice and gets a hit, 1 for 2 is better than 1 for 4. No matter how you slice it, the walks help his average because he doesn't hit well.
July 19, 200620 yr Than get a hit... Seriously, I still don't get that logic. Say he doesn't walk twice and doesn't get a hit. He's 0 for 4, that doesn't help. Say he doesn't walk twice and gets 1 hit, 1 for 4 is not that good (although sadly it improves his average). Say he does walk twice and gets a hit, 1 for 2 is better than 1 for 4. No matter how you slice it, the walks help his average because he doesn't hit well. Use whatever logic you want but reality is that at the end of the night, his batting average had dropped and his OBP had gone up. With his anemic batting average, his OBP was around 320 at one point last night. (I think it was before his last at-bat, so I am not sure where he finished.) Not a great OBP but pretty darn good with that batting average. And again, with the pitcher behind him, how many REALLY good pitches do you think he is seeing? Dunn sure has responded now that Jr. is behind him in the order instead of Kearns. Wonder if he is seeing much better pitches. On Dunn, he sure seems to have a great eye on pitches. And as sat and watched how the Mets pitched him, I wondered if he is one of those players that when they Reds series start, the opposing coach says, "We are not going to let this guy beat us." Meaning if he walks, so be it, but don't groove one to him, just to not walk him.
July 19, 200620 yr If Milton did not have a history of giving up HR's as often as GT has a history of riling up UK fans, I would agree with Narron. But with what we know of Milton before the AB, I can't see it. He made a big deal throughout this year about having Coffey available to come in at anytime during the game in intense key moments. 7th inning, 2 out, bases loaded with one of the best RBI men and power hitters in the NL at the plate, and after the Reds had made a big momentum move scoring 2 in the previous 1/2 inning. I would say that could be a instense, key moment. As far as Jr and rest, ummm, Monday was an off day and that came less than 1 week after a 3 day off time. He is slumping, granted. My son and I talked about how last night was an awful, awful night at the plate for him. I also wonder if last night's game saw the most fielding shifts in the history of one game. Shift for Dunn and Jr. Shift for Delgado. At one point on Jr., David Wright was closer to 2B than Jose Reyes. I can see how it is very, very difficult for Dunn and Jr. to get a hit towards RF. That first double play ball was a shot that almost took the pitcher's head off and SS fielded directly behind 2B. Lastly, stat on the Jumbotron for your "Good ole Country Boy" haters. Reds pitchers 6 complete games. Larue has been the catcher for 4 of those. He hit 2 balls very hard that resulted in double plays.
July 19, 200620 yr My answer to question #1 about Dunn is NO. My comment about yours on Seaver is that I can see what you are saying as far as time (years with team) wise but I however agree 100% with Seaver being in the Reds hof bc he was there at a time when his efforts, greatness contributed to much better teams and MUCH more sucsess with his outsanding (hof) pitching performances. Dunn hasn't done enough yet? Is that what you're saying? What did the Reds with Tom Seaver ever win?
July 19, 200620 yr He hit 2 balls very hard that resulted in double plays. And in the post of mine you quoted I said that about the first one. The 2nd one was not hit nearly as hard as the first one. The first one was rocketed right up the middle over the pitcher's head. Defense was playing him perfect. Both Dunn and Jr. toyed with bunts at some point in the game.
July 19, 200620 yr I posted on here 4-6 weeks ago to trade LaRue for relief pitching help because I thought he had the highest trade value of the 3 and we needed relief pitching help. Him not being traded, I think, speaks volumes on his trade value. I don't think he is as bad as a good portion of the fans are making him out to be, but do feel he is overpaid. Not sure we can do better from that position than what Larue normally puts up and what we have gotten from Ross first half of the season. I don't see a great many catchers in MLB putting up real highly productive numbers. And he has been known to get seriously hot. Not sure the BA can get way up. I was thinking more along the lines of HR's, RBI's, etc. Once again, I am not saying he can't do the job. It is merely a fiscal thing, and he will walk, and get plunked his fair share, but in no way is our best offensive option. I can't think of a situation where I'd rather have him at the plate than Valentin, ever. And Ross has been hot and at the least would do a bang up job platooning with Valentin if Larue was gone, just like when he was on the DL earlier. The reason he is untradable is not due to his skill, it is due to his contract. And we all know who to thank for that one!
July 19, 200620 yr Dunn hasn't done enough yet? Is that what you're saying? What did the Reds with Tom Seaver ever win? Best record in MLB one year but a messed up strike season royally messed with them. Normal year and who knows????
July 19, 200620 yr Best record in MLB one year but a messed up strike season royally messed with them. Normal year and who knows???? If "ifs and buts" were candy and nuts....
July 19, 200620 yr Use whatever logic you want but reality is that at the end of the night, his batting average had dropped and his OBP had gone up. That's because he CAN NOT HIT!!! If that's your argument, I obviously agree but don't blame his drop in average on them pitching around him. Blame it on him being a poor hitter.
July 19, 200620 yr That's because he CAN NOT HIT!!! If that's your argument, I obviously agree but don't blame his drop in average on them pitching around him. Blame it on him being a poor hitter. First he admitted he came back too early from his injury. Second, his ML history says he is not a poor hitter. Same way that their ML history does not say that Ross and Phillips are the players they are showing this season. Not a great hitter but also not a poor hitter. If the Reds could get some decent RP for him, I say go for it. Did he deserve his contract, probably not. But he is also not as bad as he has been showing.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.