Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rank Your Top 10 QBs of All Time

Featured Replies

That's just crazy when you consider how the offensive and defensive playcalling has evolved. Back then the power sweep seemed innovative.

That's what I mean when I said you can't say today's QB's are comparable to even 29

Years ago. Mainly due to rule changes etc.

 

To list QB's like some have in here you will have to specify what your criteria are that you are looking at. For instance are you looking at someone who was best at running an offense, or someone purely a passer or someone with most wins etc. as far as the position my criteria is who was the best at leading a team and running an offense no matter what era and it is Otto Graham who led his team to the championship game every single year he played. Are you looking for the best passer, Dan Marino. Are you looking for the best leader, Joe Montana etc. it depends on what you criteria is.

  • Replies 31
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What follows is a list of "modern era" quarterbacks who have been enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. For starters, one would think any top ten list would have to include Johnny Unitas and Norm Van Brocklin.

 

Troy Aikman 1989-2000

George Blanda (also PK) 1949-1958, 1960-1975

Terry Bradshaw 1970-1983

Len Dawson 1957-1975

John Elway 1983-1998

Dan Fouts 1973-1987

Otto Graham 1946-1955

Bob Griese 1967-1980

Sonny Jurgensen 1957-1974

Jim Kelly 1986-1996

Bobby Layne 1948-1962

Dan Marino 1983-1999

Joe Montana 1979-1994

Warren Moon 1984-2000

Joe Namath 1965-1977

Bart Starr 1956-1971

Roger Staubach 1969-1979

Fran Tarkenton 1961-1978

Y.A. Tittle 1948-1964

Johnny Unitas 1956-1973

Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1960

Bob Waterfield 1945-1952

Steve Young 1985-1999

 

I would have NEVER guessed that only 23 QBs had made the Hall in the Modern Era.

Hey, I'm just happy the 1950's are considered modern.

 

I've got to tell my kids.

I would have NEVER guessed that only 23 QBs had made the Hall in the Modern Era.

Absent from the list are Billy Kilmer, John Brodie, Kenny Anderson, Ken Stabler. After digesting all the names, present and past, it becomes apparent that selecting a top 10 list is much more difficult than I first thought. For instance, one certainly could argue that players like Aikman, Kelly, Starr and Griese deserve serious consideration.

Hey, I'm just happy the 1950's are considered modern.

 

I've got to tell my kids.

 

I'm relevant!!

I'd love to see what guys like Montana, Fouts, Marino, Elway and Moon would do with today's defensive pass rules.

I'm relevant!!

 

:thumb: I'm not, but I'm modern!

  • Author

Sports are alot different than from 60 years ago. The amount of competition and competitiveness is much more evolved. Same with the sports themselves. If Ottos team played the Packers or the Pats today it'd be a bloodbath IMO. If Bill Russells team played the Warriors they'd get eaten alive.

Sports are alot different than from 60 years ago. The amount of competition and competitiveness is much more evolved. Same with the sports themselves. If Ottos team played the Packers or the Pats today it'd be a bloodbath IMO. If Bill Russells team played the Warriors they'd get eaten alive.

 

So no one on the current list will be on it in 60 years? It will always consist of the most recent players?

Joe Montana

Tom Brady

Otto Graham

John Elway

Johnny Unitas

Peyton Manning

Bret Favre

Dan Marino

Aaron Rodgers

Fran Tarkenton

 

My list would look eerily similar if not identical.

So no one on the current list will be on it in 60 years? It will always consist of the most recent players?

In fairness, I think that's just human nature. When you see someone in person (on TV) and they become the greatest you've ever seen, it's hard to be convinced that someone else (who you never saw play) might have even been better.

Sports are alot different than from 60 years ago. The amount of competition and competitiveness is much more evolved. Same with the sports themselves. If Ottos team played the Packers or the Pats today it'd be a bloodbath IMO. If Bill Russells team played the Warriors they'd get eaten alive.

 

You can never look at players in that aspect or you lose a lot of iimportant history when it comes to the games. Do you think if Otto Graham was 25 today he would be horrible? You don't think Graham and the other players that played back then would be any good today? Don't you realize they would also have the same benefits that today's players have and they would also be 250 lb machines with canon arms etc.

 

People always seem to think that a player who played 50 years ago wouldn't be any different if they played today, yet the same people always love to say well the packers of today would destroy Otto Graham. Well if it was the Otto from 50 years ago I would sure hope so. But if the packers of today played 50 years ago they wouldn't all be 300 pound specimens made of all muscle, they would be 300 pound slobs who couldn't run more than 20 yards without passing out because they woudn't have all the nutrional and excercise and training facilities that they have today. So please don't try and compare teams of today vs players of 50 years ago and expect it to make sense.

 

As 75Center stated, so in 50 years from now Tom Brady won't make your list? that's just silly.

I hate doing this, but will give it a shot-

 

Brady

Marino

Montana

Elway

Favre

Rodgers

Manning

Aikman

Young

Moon

I will dutifully ignore any list that does not include Johnny Unitas.

 

This.

Yeah...to have a list without Johnny Unitas is just bizarre. It's like leaving Oscar Robertson off a basketball list, or Mickey Mantle off a baseball list.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.