Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

87 of 91 deceased former NFL players test positive for CTE

Featured Replies

New: 87 Deceased NFL Players Test Positive for Brain Disease | Concussion Watch | FRONTLINE | PBS

 

"A total of 87 out of 91 former NFL players have tested positive for the brain disease at the center of the debate over concussions in football, according to new figures from the nation’s largest brain bank focused on the study of traumatic head injury.

 

Researchers with the Department of Veterans Affairs and Boston University have now identified the degenerative disease known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, in 96 percent of NFL players that they’ve examined and in 79 percent of all football players. The disease is widely believed to stem from repetitive trauma to the head, and can lead to conditions such as memory loss, depression and dementia.

In total, the lab has found CTE in the brain tissue in 131 out of 165 individuals who, before their deaths, played football either professionally, semi-professionally, in college or in high school."

  • Replies 50
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that you can get a concussion without your head striking or coming in contact with anything makes it impossible to eliminate them in football. A whiplash type effect can cause a concussion as well. But if the blows to the head were reduced by some out of the box way of thinking it would help tremendously.

I am so glad I didn't play football beyond high school. I know I had several un-diagnosed mild concussions playing high school football and it is hard to imagine many college football players that don't get their brains beat around on a fairly regular basis.

I'm fairly certain I won't allow my son to ever play football until they can figure out a way to stop this which I'm not sure is possible. These guys are so big and so fast it's like a car wreck when they are running into each other.

How do the guys in rubgy or Australia rules football survive without helmets at all? I know they don't have the consistent contact that American football has, but I would still think they would have significant problem if someone would do a study on the brains of their retired players.

I'm fairly certain I won't allow my son to ever play football until they can figure out a way to stop this which I'm not sure is possible. These guys are so big and so fast it's like a car wreck when they are running into each other.

Really struggling with this right now. My son was old enough this year to start playing and alot of his friends are. He hasn't so far wanted to play but not sure what I will say if he does want to one day. Not so much concerned about it at his age because they just don't hit that hard or run very fast. But what if he really likes it and continues on. Anyone that thinks high school kids are big, fast, or strong enough to cause damage is kidding themselves.

The fact that you can get a concussion without your head striking or coming in contact with anything makes it impossible to eliminate them in football. A whiplash type effect can cause a concussion as well. But if the blows to the head were reduced by some out of the box way of thinking it would help tremendously.

 

I whole heartedly believe that this is going on.

 

What were the ages of these men or average age....anybody know or did I totally miss that? The reason I ask is because how much the game has evolved since the 60's, 70's, 80's with equipment-technology-techniques used- practice regulations, etc. The list goes on and on.

 

I know in high school, I truly don't know many places where bags/dummies/sleds aren't used for practically everything in practice....even tackling circuits. So much individual work being placed on playing with your hands and feet (how it should be played) more than ever before.

How do the guys in rubgy or Australia rules football survive without helmets at all? I know they don't have the consistent contact that American football has, but I would still think they would have significant problem if someone would do a study on the brains of their retired players.

 

As I've posted on here a few times in the past it will not shock me to see today's helmets removed from the game. If you do not a weapon sitting on top of your dome you will not stick your head in there.

I loved watching Aussie football. :ylsuper:

 

Here is a video of some hard hits.......:scared:

 

 

I always liked the referees with their trench coats and little flags.

As I've posted on here a few times in the past it will not shock me to see today's helmets removed from the game. If you do not a weapon sitting on top of your dome you will not stick your head in there.

 

Very well could happen.

 

I know in college, we used to do pass rushing drills where the offensive linemen had his helmet off and the DL kept theirs on (probably not the best practice). Point is, though, as an OL--when pass blocking, getting your head out of there and not having too much weight leaning forward is pivotal. All it took was one busted lip or a cut above the eye & problem solved.

 

...head was out.

I'm fairly certain I won't allow my son to ever play football until they can figure out a way to stop this which I'm not sure is possible. These guys are so big and so fast it's like a car wreck when they are running into each other.

I think it is only a problem for those that play well into adulthood. But I am no expert, just a guess on my part.

As I've posted on here a few times in the past it will not shock me to see today's helmets removed from the game. If you do not a weapon sitting on top of your dome you will not stick your head in there.

I think you would duck your head more making a tackle without a helmet. Remember no helmet, no facemask.

I think it is only a problem for those that play well into adulthood. But I am no expert, just a guess on my part.

 

I'll have to turn on my Google machine but I'm pretty sure I've read that the brain is so , for lack of a better word, undeveloped as a youth that hits at the age cause damage.

I think you would duck your head more making a tackle without a helmet. Remember no helmet, no facemask.

 

I would think a lot of leading with the shoulder and arm tackling. I don't remember ducking my head a lot playing tackle in the back yard. I stayed up high.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.