Survey: More than 1,000 University of Kentucky students sexually assaulted in 1 year

LRCW

early 5 percent of University of Kentucky students — 1,053 — said they were sexually assaulted in one year, but very few of them reported the incident to any authorities, according to preliminary data from a broad new survey of students released Monday.The Campus Attitude Towards Safety Study surveyed 24,382 students, the biggest such survey of its kind at UK, and possibly one of the biggest in the nation. Students were required to complete the survey last spring before they could register for classes or receive a transcript.

The survey, which will continue for the next four years, looks at a range of issues, from trust in UK's administration to deal with safety issues (high) to understanding the process for reporting a sexual assault (low).

"This survey isn't a silver bullet, it is a bullet that has to pierce the hearts and minds of everybody on this campus that has responsibility for one another and responsibility for the welfare of what is most precious to us, and that's our students," said UK President Eli Capilouto at a news conference to announce the findings.

Survey: More than 1,000 University of Kentucky students sexually assaulted in one year | Education | Kentucky.com

early 5 percent of University of Kentucky students — 1,053 — said they were sexually assaulted in one year, but very few of them reported the incident to any authorities, according to preliminary data from a broad new survey of students released Monday.The Campus Attitude Towards Safety Study surveyed 24,382 students, the biggest such survey of its kind at UK, and possibly one of the biggest in the nation. Students were required to complete the survey last spring before they could register for classes or receive a transcript.

The survey, which will continue for the next four years, looks at a range of issues, from trust in UK's administration to deal with safety issues (high) to understanding the process for reporting a sexual assault (low).

"This survey isn't a silver bullet, it is a bullet that has to pierce the hearts and minds of everybody on this campus that has responsibility for one another and responsibility for the welfare of what is most precious to us, and that's our students," said UK President Eli Capilouto at a news conference to announce the findings.

Survey: More than 1,000 University of Kentucky students sexually assaulted in one year | Education | Kentucky.com

Bill Cosby probably committed 1,032 of them !

I am glad my kids are out of college. Young adults with freedom for the first time, plus an abundance of partying, and the youthful feeling of invincibility. I know most grads look back on college as the best times of their lives, and it should be. It can also be the perfect storm for trouble and makes for a lot of sleepless nights for parents.

H

I would bet a lot of them are alcohol related, and/or date rape. Next day it is he said/she said, with fuzzy memories. Lots of girls embarrassed and afraid to report.

It might be but unless the law has changed you cannot give legal permission if under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

This does not surprise me one bit.

I have talked to my daughter until I was blue in the face about not drinking so much that you don't have control and know what's going on in your environment, about keeping an eye on your friends and vice versa and making sure everyone is on the same page in watching each other's back. No cutting from the herd!

As my mother always told me, "a boy will say anything or do anything to get in your pants". Words of wisdom right there.

That's still the case I believe. However, what if they are both under the influence and it's a mutual thing that occurs.

That's the thing I don't think it matters. Now getting a conviction on that might be a different story.