69 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins and why?

• Bowling Green
    • St. Xavier

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clark Payne (BG QB) coming out party. Many will see why the BG faithful are excited about this young man.He has yet to see anything like he will face in regular season action (he saw much greater defenses this summer in Dalton, GA) but X hasn't yet seen a heady little qb that is as smart as Payne. If/when Payne struggles give pigskin to the 2 headed monster in backfield or dump a pass or two to Deangelo.

Going to be a great game. Purples win by 17

Am I the only one who thinks that BG has already seen SIGNIFICANTLY better defensive personnel when they scrimmaged Manual?

...that said, I will concede that X's defense is much better coached...but body for body, IMHO there is no comparison between X and Manual defensibly.

Couple Things Tiger Fans:

1. I was listening to the Coach Stoops Show on WHAS coming home from Owensboro and he was asked who is the one guy who stood out to you that you didn't expect would. He said Charles Walker. He said he has worked himself into a starter role on special teams and looking for more with a toughness that he didn't think he had. In the last 3 seasons, he is Top 5 in best opposing players BG has faced during the regular season IMO.

2. Outside of the Rocks, does St X have a bigger game to get up for this season. I ask this because a. it's very early in the season and can mold their season at the onset, b. the 2004 State Champs are in the house, c. you are 1-0 and want to keep it going and d. you want to beat BG because they've beaten you the past few years.

Couple Things Purple Fans:

1. I think this Purples team is ahead of last years at this time for one distinct reason. I think Coach Wallace purposefully did not go to Dalton, GA in the offseason last year because he didn't feel his QB was ready for that (my opinion). Not the case this year. I feel that was a big confidence boost to our relatively young QB.

2. Be weary Purple fans of comparing scrimmage games as I know (I was there) Dr. Lucas subbed players extensively along the defense during that scrimmage. BUT their first team is HUGE.

Couple of items that have stuck out to me while reading g the last few posts:

1) I get everything about 7 on 7, and it is great for skill players to learn their assignments, but things/players change once the big kids are added.

2) Similarly to what Purple88 was saying about Manual, it was a scrimmage, but more importantly while Manual may always look the part they have not beaten X in regular season game in over 20 years. So while personnel may look better at Manual the overall scheme is not,and football more than any other sport is about scheme and making sure the kids are in position to make plays.

Am I the only one who thinks that BG has already seen SIGNIFICANTLY better defensive personnel when they scrimmaged Manual?

...that said, I will concede that X's defense is much better coached...but body for body, IMHO there is no comparison between X and Manual defensibly.

Manual almost always has a great defense. No argument here.

I cannot wait for this game. Bowling Green has looked good, especially considering the new QB and the young O-Line and D-Line. This will be a much tougher test than the previous two weeks for the Purples. I don't know what St. X has, but I have a feeling BG's defense will have some problems up front. Because of the youth, I lean St. X on this one. Bowling Green has beaten them, what three years in a row?? Going into St. X with a young team could be like walking into a hornets nest. Can't wait for Friday.

Killowatt59, Welcome to BGPs and your first post!

Nice win last week to start the season for the Tigers! As I said before, X has a lot to prove this season!!! If X has This is a game in which if X is going to be a contender for the state title, must win!!!rebuilt and retooled, then this is a good opportunity to show what you have learned and your capabilities. To this point, no need to talk about it. Either you got a team or you dont. Looking forward to Friday Night. GO TIGERS !!!

Absolutely! It can happen, but if can't find a way to knock of BG it's going to be hard to justify them staying with T and Male as the season progresses. If you want to be considered one of the best teams in your own city and state, you have to be able to beat those best teams, and the past few years X has not been able to do so.

We'll see what happens Friday!

Absolutely! It can happen, but if can't find a way to knock of BG it's going to be hard to justify them staying with T and Male as the season progresses. If you want to be considered one of the best teams in your own city and state, you have to be able to beat those best teams, and the past few years X has not been able to do so.

We'll see what happens Friday!

I dunno, last year the Trinity - St. X playoff game went down to the wire and I am convinced that if St. X had won there, they would have won state. No offense to Meade County and Dixie Heights, but St. X would have given them the same business as Trinity.

If St X somehow wins this game then even though it was only a scrimmage, this could show how truly scary good SK could actually be this year.

I see BG winning by multiple

scores but if it doesn't happen it sends a signal to 6A that SK could be for real this year. This is the game I was waiting for.

The "speed" topic is always an interesting one that arises in conversations. There is the old adage, "you can't coach size and speed". But what good is speed if it is unsure on where to go or unwilling to go to a certain spot? HC has speed, but how fast where they on defense when X lined up and "punched them in the mouth" not very fast and unwilling to stick their nose in there to make a play. Typically when speed is brought up against X's favor it is in regard to their defense, and yes they are not fastest team out there, but what makes them tough is they are where they're supposed to be, when they're suppose to be there.

Back to my point, what makes BG and other similar teams like them (i.e. Trinity & Male) is that they all believe they can beat X before and during a game and their speed players are not going to back down when X decides to get physical up front.

BG's passing game typically gives X's defense issues because they're well coached and take advantage of X's well coached defensive tendencies (sounds a little funny, but true).

If St X somehow wins this game then even though it was only a scrimmage, this could show how truly scary good SK could actually be this year.

I see BG winning by multiple

scores but if it doesn't happen it sends a signal to 6A that SK could be for real this year. This is the game I was waiting for.

I wonder how much the first half of the scrimmage, at least, was divided between X's two QBs competing for the starting job?