August 30, 201511 yr You and ABC news have outsmarted yourself. The Swiss have the highest gun ownership in Europe and those evil military style weapons are in every home that has a male 18-30.........fully automatic weapons. And they have the second-highest homicide rate. Only eclipsed by us. We're number one, Switzerland is number two. The defense rests.
August 30, 201511 yr And they have the second-highest homicide rate. Only eclipsed by us. We're number one, Switzerland is number two. The defense rests. Who has the highest rate of knife attacks? Who has the highest rate of whatever? People who want to do harm are going to do harm. By the way, most of the Swiss gun violence is by nut jobs or extremist.....let's ban them.....
August 30, 201511 yr One last argument. You liberals say that The Bill of Rights and Constitution are living, breathing documents, correct? So the 2nd Amendment should "evolve"? When conservatives, who are wrong on this, use the argument that it should when dealing with illegals and the 14th Amendment, it use the argument that it is what it says it its........
August 30, 201511 yr I don't think that I've heard anyone blaming the guns per se, but the mere fact that they're being mass produced in our culture like rolls of toilet paper, and circulating with such frequency, that with those numbers rising, so too will be that many of those guns end up in the wrong criminal hands, or of the mentally ill, not to mention the average carrier who loses his cool on an unusually more stressful day than most. Even those who back the 2nd Amendment, but might not be as extreme with the "me and my rights, and to hell with any ideas not consistent with mine", are just as valid with their concerns about how perhaps to tighten things up to make things better and safer, because if anyone can't see that it could use some fixin' are severely ignoring reality. It's not that everyone is a complete leftist who thinks its worthy to look at and to rectify the current circumstances. I'm not detecting anyone in this thread as being so leftist to call for our rights to be taken away, but more or less a call that our nation is controlling this matter the best way possible, and presently it is not. Since the car example comes up frequently, do we not see it as a good thing when speed limits are adjusted at times when certain areas have proved to be a danger with current faster speed limits? Do we feel that our rights are being messed with in school zones when the flashing yellow light calls for us to slow down during school hours, or do we not see that this precaution has sensibly been put in place for safety reasons? Freedom can be a double-edged sword. Although there are many logical reasons why we should have the right to own a gun, our current culture with it's more present day obsession with the topic has also spawned a more commonplace social mindset prompting every average Joe to consider it when in the past he might not have. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not so impressed with the so called mentally stable general public, and it doesn't make me feel one iota safer to think Joe Meathead is exercising his "rights". Not everyone walking the streets is considered mentally unstable, but by whose standards? The way people foolishly cross the street or drive recklessly makes it all too apparent that civil disobedience isn't just a product of the mentally ill. As the mindset progresses I worry that, if it already isn't happening, that young adults who lack proper maturity, will start seeing it as a rite of passage. If I were a parent with a kid in college, I wouldn't feel so as ease knowing that he or she might find themselves at a college party full of legal aged drinkers not in great control of their young jealous minds who have been granted the right to carry. Whereas in the past it might've been common for a college fight to be full of fists, how lovely a thought if this progresses to fists full of guns. I don't have all the answers and I'm certainly not calling for and end of the freedom to own, but still, no doubt background checks and limitations need to be a helluva lot stiffer. At the end of the day, searching for answers is not an indication of being unreasonable, it's an indication that some are looking for more responsible solutions than what we presently have.
August 30, 201511 yr No other developed country has a gun homicide or gun violence rate even approaching that level. (That’s true even though the rate is now much lower than it was in the early 1990s, likely because crime overall has declined.) And while America’s high rate of gun violence undoubtedly reflects many factors, researchers like David Hemenway, a widely cited professor from the Harvard School of Public Health, have found a clear, strong relationship between gun ownership and gun-related deaths. In places where more people have guns, more people get killed by them. We're number one! Go USA!!! Now that's something to be proud of!
August 30, 201511 yr Here is the thing. In theory I do not really have a problem with mental health checks and universal background checks. It we give an inch and they take a mile. If I lose a nephew suddenly and seek counseling, am I now mentally ill? Will they target conservatives for seeking any treatment or counseling? They did that in the IRS......
August 30, 201511 yr When it's disingenuous political fear mongering, it's downright disgraceful and shameful. Kinda like the fearmongering drumbeat of the cons. "They're gonna take our guns. Write it down." A serious question for my conservative BGP brethren. Let's pick an arbitrary date. January 20, 2009. How many of your guns have been confiscated since then?
August 30, 201511 yr Kinda like the fearmongering drumbeat of the cons. "They're gonna take our guns. Write it down." A serious question for my conservative BGP brethren. Let's pick an arbitrary date. January 20, 2009. How many of your guns have been confiscated since then? How many times have they threatened to? You also have states like New York and California really doing it.......
August 30, 201511 yr How many times have they threatened to? I have absolutely no idea. Something tells me I know the answer to my question in Post 82.
August 30, 201511 yr I have absolutely no idea. Something tells me I know the answer to my question in Post 82. Andrew Cuomo sued by veteran after insomnia treatment prompts gun confiscation - Washington Times There is one for reference......it to answer your question, I haven't had any confiscated it it has happened a lot more than you will admit.
August 30, 201511 yr Andrew Cuomo sued by veteran after insomnia treatment prompts gun confiscation - Washington Times There is one for reference......it to answer your question, I haven't had any confiscated it it has happened a lot more than you will admit. I don't doubt that this can be a slippery slope (I'm more reasonable than most folks realize). I just wish we could have productive discussion instead of throwing up our hands and saying, "Everybody should have as many weapons as they want. Doesn't matter what kind, doesn't matter who they are".
August 30, 201511 yr Author Whatever works. That's what I advocate. "Confiscation" is probably too strong a term. Weren't there a fair number of police department gun buyback programs about 20-25 years ago? Whatever happened to those?You can't equate a buy back program to confiscation. Whatever works? Tell us, what will work?
August 30, 201511 yr Author Kinda like the fearmongering drumbeat of the cons. "They're gonna take our guns. Write it down." A serious question for my conservative BGP brethren. Let's pick an arbitrary date. January 20, 2009. How many of your guns have been confiscated since then? Dude, they've said as much! Their words over the years, not the cons. A serious question for my conservative BGP brethren as well. Let's pick the same arbitrary date. January 20, 2009. How many of your guns have wounded or killed someone since then?
August 30, 201511 yr :eyeonyou:Unless I'm missing something somewhere around 600,000 wounded and 180,000 Americans killed since 2009. If averages are correct. I guess that's just to BGPERS who are all good people.
August 30, 201511 yr And they have the second-highest homicide rate. Only eclipsed by us. We're number one, Switzerland is number two. The defense rests. This.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.