Fake Gun Store, NYC

Run To State

What do you consider reasonable limits? What will these limits do to keep a criminal from breaking that law as well? How will this affect anyone but the law abiding citizen?

Are you familiar with Australia's gun-control measures? Haven't they significantly reduced gun violence in that country?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And our shredded mental health/substance abuse safety net is in dire need of mending, but let's face it. These people aren't exactly poster children in terms of generating sympathy and resources. Never have been and probably never will be.

It saddens me that we're number one.

You mention mental health and drugs. I've said this before and I will say it again although I know it will fall on deaf ears. When I was a kid, guns were readily available. I could walk down the street with a .22 rifle with no problem, other kids did as well. High school kids had racks in their trucks with rifles on them. We had none of the problems we have today. So what has changed? It certainly isn't the gun. Maybe it's all of the needlessly prescribed phototropic drugs thrown down kids throats. Maybe it's lack of parenting. Maybe it's cultural garbage we didn't have in the past. Maybe it's a combination of all of them plus some factors I'm no thinking of at this moment. Why? Why? Why, do the usual culprits blame the guns and not look for solutions to the real problems?

Australia's gun-control measures have been cited as an example for the United States to follow. Wishful thinking, in all probability.
And there you have it folks, TTP is in favor of gun confiscation.

In the words of Australian author, Nick Adams,in an article directed towards president Obama:

I am an Australian and I must set the record straight.

The “success” of the 1996 Australian gun reform is a myth.

The only thing achieved was to take away the guns of the law-abiding, leaving only the criminals armed. Is this what you wish for America?

In Australia, if a citizen has firearms, the police have a right to search their property without a warrant any time. Does that sound like America?

The laws you praise outlawed the Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun that my father played with as a child. Now you need a special permit, gun safe and serial number. For what?

There are just as many guns on the street today. Gun crime is no lower.

In Australia, mass shootings have been a rare event. If strict gun laws mean no massacres, explain Britain’s Cumbria shootings, Monkseaton and Dunblane. Or Anders Breivik of Norway?

Gun laws achieve very little.

Mass shootings are about illness, not guns. Any other so-called “gun issue,” if there are any, is related to the breakdown of the family, cultural decline and the age of entitlement.

And there you have it folks, TTP is in favor of gun confiscation.

In the words of Australian author, Nick Adams,in an article directed towards president Obama:

You're on a roll this morning. Must be something other than too much caffeine.

For every 1 million Americans, there are 29.7 homicides by firearm each year, the Human Development Index reported.

Switzerland, the nation with the next highest rate, has 7.7 firearm homicides per million people, while Australia, which saw its gun death rate plunge by more than half since 1996 when it tightened gun laws, has just 1.4 firearm homicides per million.

US mass shootings occur with devastating frequency. According to the Mass Shooting Tracker, there have been 248 mass shootings in the 238 days of 2015.

Despite the frequency of homicides, suicides actually comprise the largest number of US gun deaths - 21,175 in 2013, compared to 11,208 firearm homicides, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

-ABC News

And for the record (again), I have no issue with the second amendment. I just wish we could shore up background checks, place some reasonable limits on high-powered/large capacity weaponry, etc. Some of this stuff is meant for one thing and one thing only.

And our shredded mental health/substance abuse safety net is in dire need of mending, but let's face it. These people aren't exactly poster children in terms of generating sympathy and resources. Never have been and probably never will be.

It saddens me that we're number one.

I agree with shoring up the background checks, background checks for all gun purchases gun shows included, having HIPPA changed so there is a more detailed background check to search for any possible mental health issues. Mental illness and drug addiction are a huge issue as you stated, and this has been long overdue to mend them. I have no issues with bringing up these issues after a tragedy, as we have to start somewhere to get the discussion going. But, I do not see a need for a limit on guns, ammo, or capacity.

For every 1 million Americans, there are 29.7 homicides by firearm each year, the Human Development Index reported.

Switzerland, the nation with the next highest rate, has 7.7 firearm homicides per million people, while Australia, which saw its gun death rate plunge by more than half since 1996 when it tightened gun laws, has just 1.4 firearm homicides per million.

US mass shootings occur with devastating frequency. According to the Mass Shooting Tracker, there have been 248 mass shootings in the 238 days of 2015.

Despite the frequency of homicides, suicides actually comprise the largest number of US gun deaths - 21,175 in 2013, compared to 11,208 firearm homicides, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

-ABC News

Okay. And this is the fault of what? Guns cause these horrific acts? Why can't you admit the problem is sick individuals or misuse, not guns?

Strong argument there. Insults. Insults won't change the fact that you admitted you're for gun confiscation.

Whatever works. That's what I advocate. "Confiscation" is probably too strong a term. Weren't there a fair number of police department gun buyback programs about 20-25 years ago? Whatever happened to those?

That's all fine, but I'm seeking solutions to this mental health crisis that you frequently cite whenever 2nd Amendment rights come under assault.

I'd figure that would be in the Affordale Healthcare Act......you know since it has to do with healthcare......oh wait.....

-ABC News

You and ABC news have outsmarted yourself.

The Swiss have the highest gun ownership in Europe and those evil military style weapons are in every home that has a male 18-30.........fully automatic weapons.

Our problem is self responsibility and liberals.

The guy that killed the reporters had a Rainbow flag of LGBT it no one is calling to ban that?

People walk around completely crazy, but we can't institutionalize them because of their "rights".....and when they kill someone it's not their fault, it is a guns.

Nuts.