August 29, 201511 yr No! Americans as a whole are responsible gun owners. You can't paint the vast majority of gun owners with the same broad brush you paint the irresponsible ones, gang bangers and mentally ill. Surely the NRA has model legislation to address the deficiencies in care and treatment of the mentally ill. When you get a moment, post a link. Thanks.
August 29, 201511 yr Author Surely the NRA has model legislation to address the deficiencies in care and treatment of the mentally ill. When you get a moment, post a link. Thanks.Is that the role of the NRA or is it to fight for gun rights? They do however have many different programs they offer since you are so infatuated by them. Here are a few that you might be interested in: Eddie Eagle GunSafe Firearm Training Youth Programs Women's Programs Hunter Services Competitions & Matches Law Enforcement Services
August 29, 201511 yr How about this? Americans as a whole are irresponsible with guns. Yesterday I had three pistols, a shotgun and a big ole evil AR with three loaded magazines sitting beside it and 10 rounds of shotgun ammo (5 slugs and 5 buckshot) sitting on my couch and coffee table for several hours plus my son had a fourth pistol in his pocket...guess what none of them killed anyone or even shot at anyone.
August 29, 201511 yr Is that the role of the NRA or is it to fight for gun rights? They do however have many different programs they offer since you are so infatuated by them. Here are a few that you might be interested in: Eddie Eagle GunSafe Firearm Training Youth Programs Women's Programs Hunter Services Competitions & Matches Law Enforcement Services That's all fine, but I'm seeking solutions to this mental health crisis that you frequently cite whenever 2nd Amendment rights come under assault.
August 29, 201511 yr Author That's all fine, but I'm seeking solutions to this mental health crisis that you frequently cite whenever 2nd Amendment rights come under assault.Wait! You're denying mental health is an issue if not THE issue with a lot of these shootings? Are you trying to tell me it's the gun that is the problem?
August 29, 201511 yr Wait! You're denying mental health is an issue if not THE issue with a lot of these shootings? Are you trying to tell me it's the gun that is the problem? Sounds like you may have had one cup of coffee too many this morning. Simple question: What are some solutions to this mental health crisis that manifests itself in gun violence?
August 29, 201511 yr That's all fine, but I'm seeking solutions to this mental health crisis that you frequently cite whenever 2nd Amendment rights come under assault. Until HIPPA laws are changed the mental health information will continue to be kept from the agencies doing the back ground research on potential buyers. I have said for years that Mental Health and up to date Domestic Violence information needs to be available to the FBI/NICS hot line that approves or denies purchases.
August 29, 201511 yr Author Sounds like you may have had one cup of coffee too many this morning. Simple question: What are some solutions to this mental health crisis that manifests itself in gun violence? I don't drink coffee, except a rare occasion I have a cup of decaff. You tell me. I'm not claiming I have the answers, I just know it's much more of a culprit. Tell me how guns are the problem since you seem to think that way. I don't agree with knee jerk reactions to shootings. I understand the problem is complex, just calling your question a simple question shows you don't understand that. Blaming a gun for a murder is like blaming a car for speeding. The gun didn't commit the crime and the car didn't accelerate itself past the speed limit.
August 29, 201511 yr I don't drink coffee, except a rare occasion I have a cup of decaff. You tell me. I'm not claiming I have the answers, I just know it's much more of a culprit. Tell me how guns are the problem since you seem to think that way. I don't agree with knee jerk reactions to shootings. I understand the problem is complex, just calling your question a simple question shows you don't understand that. Blaming a gun for a murder is like blaming a car for speeding. The gun didn't commit the crime and the car didn't accelerate itself past the speed limit. Quit with the NRA cliches (gun-car comparison gets so stale) and start exploring solutions. As an example, look at JD's insightful response in post 22. For at least two decades, discussion of guns has been a losing issue for left-of-center political candidates. The pendulum is now starting to swing the other way.
August 29, 201511 yr Author Quit with the NRA cliches (gun-car comparison gets so stale) and start exploring solutions. As an example, look at JD's insightful response in post 22. For at least two decades, discussion of guns has been a losing issue for left-of-center political candidates. The pendulum is now starting to swing the other way. Let me clue you in on something, I know you hate the NRA but for your information, believe it or not, I'm not a member. So how about you stop with the stale NRA garbage. I try to look for answers, but unlike you I can admit that I'm not an expert on mental health issues. I don't have the answers any more than you do. I do agree with JD's post, which is nothing unusual because he doesn't blindly follow his political leanings. I'm not sure how you figure the pendulum has swung to the other side, perhaps you can enlighten us on the wins you're speaking of.
August 29, 201511 yr Baseless, agenda driven statement. Not really if you think about it. We allow virtually anyone to purchase them with little training or assurance they know how keep themselves or their family safe. We mass produce knowing that guns are falling in the hands of criminals. I think that is irresponsible
August 29, 201511 yr Let me clue you in on something, I know you hate the NRA but for your information, believe it or not, I'm not a member. So how about you stop with the stale NRA garbage. I try to look for answers, but unlike you I can admit that I'm not an expert on mental health issues. I don't have the answers any more than you do. I do agree with JD's post, which is nothing unusual because he doesn't blindly follow his political leanings. I'm not sure how you figure the pendulum has swung to the other side, perhaps you can enlighten us on the wins you're speaking of. Not all people have mental issues that kill someone with a gun.
August 29, 201511 yr Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Research Center Everything in this "Connected world" is magnified...we see many crimes all over the news and social media that in the past we would have barely heard of. Gun violence is no worse now than ever and in many respects it much lower than past decades. Looking at the graphs in the link I provided you can see a strong decline in gun violence over the last 20+ years...all while gun ownership has grown over the same time span. So does more responsible gun owners mean less crime or is it better law enforcement or is there some other reason that gun violence has dropped so much compared to gun ownership. In 1993 mandatory background checks were put in place for firearms sales and almost immediately gun crime started to decrease. As a VERY Strong Supporter of the 2nd Amendment I have no issues with background checks and wish they would be expanded beyond criminal history to include mental health history also.
August 29, 201511 yr How about this? Americans as a whole are irresponsible with guns. Americans are far more irresponsible with alcohol and gambling but those seem to not get near the press as firearms.
August 29, 201511 yr Americans are far more irresponsible with alcohol and gambling but those seem to not get near the press as firearms. Gambling? :eyeonyou: Alcohol is exactly right when they pick up a gun or sit behind a wheel.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.