Saints dumb, Bengals smart? You be the Judge

In New Orleans, 20 percent of the cap is dead money, according to Spotrac. Among the players who count huge amounts against the Saints’ salary cap even though they’re no longer on the team are tight end Jimmy Graham ($9 million), guard Ben Grubbs ($6 million), linebacker Junior Galette ($5.45 million) and linebacker Curtis Lofton $5 million).

The Saints’ cap situation has been problematic for a while now, and the problem isn’t going away. Based on the contracts they already have, the Saints are projected to be$7.3 million over the cap next year.

The team with the lowest dead cap number is the Bengals, who have less than $1 million allocated to players no longer on the team. Bengals owner Mike Brown has been criticized at times for being miserly, but if you’re going to criticize the Bengals for that, you also have to credit them for being smart enough to make the playoffs four years in a row while not mortgaging the future with high-priced contracts for players who don’t last.

Saints spending one-fifth of their cap space on players not on the team | ProFootballTalk

Brown understands the economics of football and is very good at producing a profit, whether you like him personally or the product he owns. He may not be the best football mind but we all have to admit the product is much better over the Lewis years than in the decade before.

Brown understands the economics of football and is very good at producing a profit, whether you like him personally or the product he owns. He may not be the best football mind but we all have to admit the product is much better over the Lewis years than in the decade before.

I guess it depends on what you look at as being a good product.

This product under Marvin is no more successful when it comes to playoff wins than the preceding decade before Marvin. After all isn't that the only thing that matters? Championships?

50 years from now no one outside Cincy will look at the decades of 2k and 2010 and say, wow the Bengals

were a great team under Marvin. Off the top of your head, can anyone tell me right now how many times the Houston Oilers made the playoffs in the 80's? No. The reason, no one really cares because they didn't win anything.

This product under Marvin is no more successful when it comes to playoff wins than the preceding decade before Marvin. After all isn't that the only thing that matters? Championships?

50 years from now no one outside Cincy will look at the decades of 2k and 2010 and say, wow the Bengals

were a great team under Marvin. Off the top of your head, can anyone tell me right now how many times the Houston Oilers made the playoffs in the 80's? No. The reason, no one really cares because they didn't win anything.

Do you feel that each year only 1 team is successful and the rest are failures?

Does that apply to just the NFL or all levels of football? :banana: