Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Raceland 36 West Carter 25

Featured Replies

Raceland was up 29-20 with the ball first and ten from somewhere around the 30 with 55 seconds left. West Carter has one timeout left Please explain to me why the play call was a pass play targeting a vertical route near the goal line.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raceland was up 29-20 with the ball first and ten from somewhere around the 30 with 55 seconds left. West Carter has one timeout left Please explain to me why the play call was a pass play targeting a vertical route near the goal line.

 

No idea. The obvious answer would be to score. But with the game already won I dunno. I would assume to experiment a little with a play or player to see how it pans out since the season just started. Honestly I dunno.

I personally would have let West take the last time out, then take a knee a couple of times and get it over with. That's just me though, Coach Salmons is not the type to run up a score on anyone, if that were true there would have been some flat out unbelievable scores / margins of victory in 2014.

As RAMDAD said, I would think that since they were making so many mistakes (mental and physical) that Coach wanted to see if they would execute correctly. Anyway, the margin of the win wasn't even 2 td's so there is no way he was running it up.

No reason to panic. it's the FIRST GAME. Granted there's work that needs to be done, but the score is not indicative of how this game went. First I'll say this...West Carter is a much improved team and they'll win some games this year. However, Raceland's defense fell victim to several big plays tonight. West had 83 yards rushing in the first half on (2) big runs (23 & 64 yards). They finished with 105 rushing yards but were held to 22 yards on 11 carries in the second half. They had 63 passing yards, but 56 of them came on one play in the first half. 168 total yards for the game, so other than big plays the defense wasn't as bad as the score indicates.

Secondly, the offense racked up 412 total yards (330 rushing on 52 carries, and 82 through the air). The special teams are a concern right now but I'm sure the coaching staff will get it fixed. Way too early to panic guys.

And for the above post about #70 ...Coach Brown told me he used to be a running back a few years ago and has decent speed.

No reason to panic. it's the FIRST GAME. Granted there's work that needs to be done, but the score is not indicative of how this game went. First I'll say this...West Carter is a much improved team and they'll win some games this year. However, Raceland's defense fell victim to several big plays tonight. West had 83 yards rushing in the first half on (2) big runs (23 & 64 yards). They finished with 105 rushing yards but were held to 22 yards on 11 carries in the second half. They had 63 passing yards, but 56 of them came on one play in the first half. 168 total yards for the game, so other than big plays the defense wasn't as bad as the score indicates.

Secondly, the offense racked up 412 total yards (330 rushing on 52 carries, and 82 through the air). The special teams are a concern right now but I'm sure the coaching staff will get it fixed. Way too early to panic guys.

And for the above post about #70 ...Coach Brown told me he used to be a running back a few years ago and has decent speed.

 

This seems relevant - http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/jordan-307624.html

No reason to panic. it's the FIRST GAME. Granted there's work that needs to be done, but the score is not indicative of how this game went. First I'll say this...West Carter is a much improved team and they'll win some games this year. However, Raceland's defense fell victim to several big plays tonight. West had 83 yards rushing in the first half on (2) big runs (23 & 64 yards). They finished with 105 rushing yards but were held to 22 yards on 11 carries in the second half. They had 63 passing yards, but 56 of them came on one play in the first half. 168 total yards for the game, so other than big plays the defense wasn't as bad as the score indicates.

Secondly, the offense racked up 412 total yards (330 rushing on 52 carries, and 82 through the air). The special teams are a concern right now but I'm sure the coaching staff will get it fixed. Way too early to panic guys.

And for the above post about #70 ...Coach Brown told me he used to be a running back a few years ago and has decent speed.

 

Nice post, I realize that this was just game 1. My most concern was 1. special teams, kick coverage. 2. I did see more than once some kids hanging their heads, walking on/off the field like they were beaten.

Our defense did play pretty well, West broke a couple of big plays with the Browns. Both are exceptional players along with the WC Line play I thought was good. West plays with discipline and are very well coached and will have a good season, imo they are a sleeper in their district.

No "Panic" here, I just expressed some concern which I listed earlier in my posts and this one. Besides, I have been around watching RAM Football for 45-50 years and for the life of me I can't think of even one game that someone, somewhere didn't question something :idunno: :lol2:. That's just how it is with "Ram Nation", myself included. Sometimes the critiszm is warranted, most times not. Not a doubt in my mind that our top of the line coaching staff will get what needs to be fixed taken care of. I have said it over and over that I would Not trade any of our coaches for any other coach on any staff.

 

So, this one is over. RAMS are 1-0 with 14 to go. Next up - Ashland's mighty Tomcats. :thumb:

I forgot to mention / ask ... is their any word on Davidson's injury ? I know that he remained in the game but was "limping" on the one foot / leg.

Congrats to the crazies, RRR!

The Rams dont have any burners at the RB position, but thats not a problem. Raceland doesnt have a 6'2" or taller handful of WRs all running 4.4s or better. But, imo, as long as we shore up the return coverage we will be fine. 6-10 play drives, taking 5-8 minutes of game time, that result in paydirt payoff, is a great way to win ball games. West is better than many think. You dont have to have 4.29-4.4 track guys to win ball games. Just have to avoid giving up the big plays. The Nathaniel's timing was a bit off at times last night, but that will get better, the RBs ran hard, but were slow on their cuts when reading the wholes. Defensively, just cant give up big plays.

 

From a play call standpoint, it looked like we only ran about 10-15 plays. Seemed like each pass play consisted of a wheel route, deep post, and a sail route and only attempted 8 passes. We ran between c gaps for the most part, not attacking the edge very often, so offensively we literally, didnt do much. I think you will see more balance next week at Ashland. We will be fine, just have to make some coverage adjustments.

 

I also saw some numbers on kickoffs that I didnt recognize, so I kind if feel like maybe they were still working on some things in that regaurd. I have faith in the staff. Ashland posters snd even some of us Raceland guys, will be suprised at the turn around from this game to the next.

From a play call standpoint, it looked like we only ran about 10-15 plays. Seemed like each pass play consisted of a wheel route, deep post, and a sail route and only attempted 8 passes. We ran between c gaps for the most part, not attacking the edge very often, so offensively we literally, didnt do much. I think you will see more balance next week at Ashland. We will be fine, just have to make some coverage adjustments.

 

 

Raceland Rushing: 52-331 4 TD's

Raceland Passing: Davidson 5-9 82 yards 1 TD

Raceland Rushing: 52-331 4 TD's

Raceland Passing: Davidson 5-9 82 yards 1 TD

 

I was refering to the play calling. When i said "didnt do much". Meaning we didnt show much variety in the calls. I think that was by design, though. I think you will see more balance next week. If we are going to make the run we all feel the Rams can make, we need to be more balanced. We learned that lesson the hard way last year. I also think that they are trying to allow Nathaniel to ease into things and just manage the game instead of forcing him to make throws he isnt ready for. Anyone have an update on his injury?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.