Most Dangerous Towns in Kentucky

rockmom

Not surprised with Newport in the top ten, but I find it hard to believe Covington isn't ranked higher in crime then Newport. Lived around here all my life, always felt Newport was safer than Covington, unless you want to go back to the "sin city" days.

It's according what part of Newport you are talking. The Westside and historic areas are fine.

The east side is very bad . I'm guessing they were using per capita numbers. So by percentages the bad neighborhoods of the east side of Newport make up a larger percentage than the bad neighborhoods of Covington do on the overall population.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's according what part of Newport you are talking. The Westside and historic areas are fine.

The east side is very bad . I'm guessing they were using per capita numbers. So by percentages the bad neighborhoods of the east side of Newport make up a larger percentage than the bad neighborhoods of Covington do on the overall population.

The east side? Used to be the west side was the bad side. I'm still in Newport quite often for different reasons, I still feel safer in Newport then in Covington. Of course both are much better than a lot of Cincinnati.

The east side? Used to be the west side was the bad side. I'm still in Newport quite often for different reasons, I still feel safer in Newport then in Covington. Of course both are much better than a lot of Cincinnati.

You are correct I mixed up east and west.

You are correct I mixed up east and west.

Thanks, I had hoped that things hadn't reversed. I guess things could be a lot worse now than when I was a kid, I can remember walking from the hill and south Newport to Reds games back in the seventies going through the west end. We never had any problems once that I can think of. I'm sure things have changed since then though.

But like I said it all depends where you are in Covington. Yes you shouldn't walk alone at night in city heights , Jacob Price or parts of West Covington. But most neighborhoods I feel 100 % safe in Covington anytime of day.

Before I moved out of NKY in 2011 I lived most my life in either Newport or Covington. Like I said from a statistical stand point , per capita it makes sense.

I'm suprised as well that Covington isn't in here.. It wasn't bad when I moved here 15 years ago but it is getting progressively worse. With all the police and fire cuts coming I'm sure it will get worse too

What is really bad about the west side of Newport? I spent the first 14 years of my life growing up near 10th and Brighton and never saw anything really bad. I still have a great aunt that lives in the neighborhood with no complaints. I get that they aren't the highest income level folks and a lot are transplants from appaliachia but "really bad" isn't how I would describe it.

Covington seems way worse to me. It seems to have many more murders, drug dealing, drive by shootings, etc..

What is really bad about the west side of Newport? I spent the first 14 years of my life growing up near 10th and Brighton and never saw anything really bad. I still have a great aunt that lives in the neighborhood with no complaints. I get that they aren't the highest income level folks and a lot are transplants from appaliachia but "really bad" isn't how I would describe it.

Covington seems way worse to me. It seems to have many more murders, drug dealing, drive by shootings, etc..

The west side is rough

The west side is rough

Not really, several generations of my family have been born and raised there and you be hard pressed to find anyone that would call us "rough". It's not the best neighborhood in the world or anything but it isn't what I'd call rough, but we will have to agree to disagree since you didn't answer the question and only repeated your statement.

Not really, several generations of my family have been born and raised there and you be hard pressed to find anyone that would call us "rough". It's not the best neighborhood in the world or anything but it isn't what I'd call rough, but we will have to agree to disagree since you didn't answer the question and only repeated your statement.

The study was taken based on per capita crime rate . The Westside of Newport makes up a majority of the crime in the city.

I didn't say they were all bad people. Walk around Isabella St from West 4th to 10th at night time . I rented a place on West 8th and 10th during college and right after. So it's not like I'm making a comment with out experience.