Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cincinnati protest/riot watch

Featured Replies

Even for a violent crime?

 

Depends on the circumstances you know that. But I've seen folks involved in murder cases that were complicit and only served a fraction of their sentence. That includes persistent felony offenders too. Perhaps Ohio is more strict in that area.

  • Replies 307
  • Views 28.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If this hasn't been shared here it is:

 

Fraternal Order of Police of Ohio

 

Statement by Jay McDonald, President of the Fraternal Order of Police of Ohio

 

Prosecutor Deters also referred to enforcing Ohio’s vehicle laws as “chicken crap.” Ohio’s legislature has determined that every vehicle must have a front license plate and thirty-four other States have the same law. Ohio’s law enforcement officers have found enforcing the front license plate law to be invaluable in solving crimes, ranging from robberies and murders. Fleeing felons, wanted fugitives, even terrorists have been caught because of traffic stops for minor vehicle code violations.

 

If Mr. McDonald feels that these "minor vehicle code violations" are so important, and can have so much "good" come from them...what would he say to every officer who's "looked the other way" on so many of them? I mean, you can stop dang near every single person traveling on I-75 for breaking the speed limit. Imagine the amount of felons, fugitives and terrorists we could catch if we just enforced the speed limit.

 

If Mr. McDonald feels that these "minor vehicle code violations" are so important, and can have so much "good" come from them...what would he say to every officer who's "looked the other way" on so many of them? I mean, you can stop dang near every single person traveling on I-75 for breaking the speed limit. Imagine the amount of felons, fugitives and terrorists we could catch if we just enforced the speed limit.

 

Who says the speed limit isn't enforced? I see people pulled over all the time in Ohio on I 75.

 

They literally can't stop everyone and they can't put all their resources towards speeders.

Who says the speed limit isn't enforced? I see people pulled over all the time in Ohio on I 75.

 

They literally can't stop everyone and they can't put all their resources towards speeders.

 

Come on man, you know what I'm saying. I've seen cops leave the parking lot of a restaurant pass a car with a broken taillight and never bat an eye. These "minor vehicle code enforcements" go un-enforced all the time.

 

It just sounds like he's trying to make them out to be bigger than they actually are. Just my opinion.

The cops are was inside the car he could have easily got dragged.

The cops are was inside the car he could have easily got dragged.

 

Except that he wasn't. When he fired the shot, his hand was on the window frame not being held by anything.

If Mr. McDonald feels that these "minor vehicle code violations" are so important, and can have so much "good" come from them...what would he say to every officer who's "looked the other way" on so many of them? I mean, you can stop dang near every single person traveling on I-75 for breaking the speed limit. Imagine the amount of felons, fugitives and terrorists we could catch if we just enforced the speed limit.

 

Come on man, you know what I'm saying. I've seen cops leave the parking lot of a restaurant pass a car with a broken taillight and never bat an eye. These "minor vehicle code enforcements" go un-enforced all the time.

 

It just sounds like he's trying to make them out to be bigger than they actually are. Just my opinion.

 

Not the point at all. McDonald was pointing out that Deters was bashing the police for doing their job using a law on the books that has been very productive in keeping many people safe.

 

Come on man, you know what I'm saying. I've seen cops leave the parking lot of a restaurant pass a car with a broken taillight and never bat an eye. These "minor vehicle code enforcements" go un-enforced all the time.

 

It just sounds like he's trying to make them out to be bigger than they actually are. Just my opinion.

 

They can't stop everyone for everything. If they get one speeder, 10 more will go by while they're on the stop.

Not the point at all. McDonald was pointing out that Deters was bashing the police for doing their job using a law on the books that has been very productive in keeping many people safe.

 

Yeah, I understand that. And I've got no problem with them enforcing it. I guess I'm reading it in a different tone than others may, I don't know. I'm sorry I can't adequately express my reasoning behind my feelings behind it.

 

I'll leave it with this...he mentions that Ohio is one of 34 states that require a front license plate. That's fine. But of the ones that still don't, are...Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. Basically every state around Ohio. So, in cities like Youngstown, Toledo, Dayton, Marietta and right here in Cincinnati...wouldn't you expect to find an inordinate amount of vehicles WITHOUT front plates, compared to a centralized city like Columbus? Now, add in the fact that you're around a University that draws a lot of students from a wide area...and you may even have more states (without a front plate) involved. With all of that being said, my imagination is that a good portion of tickets written for this violation are either a.) the violating car is already parked or b.) the original stop is for another violation, and the missing plate is added on. Am I wrong with that assumption? Does every cop in Cincinnati (or around UC) check their rearview mirror when they pass someone without a front license plate? And if they do, and recognize the rear plate as being from Ohio, do they make a 180 and "chase" (using that term lightly) the car back down? Honest questions here. You guys are more in the know that I am.

  • Author
Typical rhetoric out of a defense lawyer. They only want you to hear what they have to say, not what someone else has to say

 

Agreed. Their job is to protect their client, anything and everything they can use, they will, nothing wrong with that as its what they are supposed to do.

 

However I think Deters did a fantastic job.

  • Author

I'm impressed with the fact that there has been almost not trouble. I am told that the Calvary pretty much went back home, or preparing to leave town.

 

I agree that there better be a murder conviction or there will be trouble, many people will not settle for manslaughter.

 

Question, if this was a regular citizen and not a cop what would people expect the verdict to be? Just because he is an officer doesn't change things. He messed up, and he knew it, that is why he lied on the facts. If he knew he was in the right then he wouldn't have lied.

  • Author

I'm impressed with the fact that there has been almost not trouble. I am told that the Calvary pretty much went back home, or preparing to leave town.

 

I agree that there better be a murder conviction or there will be trouble, many people will not settle for manslaughter.

 

Question, if this was a regular citizen and not a cop what would people expect the verdict to be? Just because he is an officer doesn't change things. He messed up, and he knew it, that is why he lied on the facts. If he knew he was in the right then he wouldn't have lied.

I'm impressed with the fact that there has been almost not trouble. I am told that the Calvary pretty much went back home, or preparing to leave town.

 

I agree that there better be a murder conviction or there will be trouble, many people will not settle for manslaughter.

 

Question, if this was a regular citizen and not a cop what would people expect the verdict to be? Just because he is an officer doesn't change things. He messed up, and he knew it, that is why he lied on the facts. If he knew he was in the right then he wouldn't have lied.

 

What do you feel he lied about?

What do you feel he lied about?

 

The car dragging him? 2 other UC cops are now on leave with questionable statements as well. All centering around the aforementioned statement.

The car dragging him? 2 other UC cops are now on leave with questionable statements as well. All centering around the aforementioned statement.

 

Fair enough, anything else you feel he lied about.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.