July 25, 20179 yr So who decides which laws the police enforce and dont enforce? Who decides which ones are most important? Oh come on. Police make those decisions every day. Going one mile over the speed limit is breaking the law. How many people have been pulled over for it? Practically all of us should be, every day. In this very case, a man was killed after being pulled over for not having a front tag on his car. A tag. Resulting in his death. So as a result let's increase stops for minor traffic violations? My opinion and that of many others, like Chief David Brown, is that you don't just police a community, you have to become part of it. If you increase punitive penalties, that is not going to result in a better rapport with a community that distrusts cops, partly as a result of this shooting.
July 25, 20179 yr Police union votes 'no-confidence' in Prosecutor Joe Deters after second Tensing trial - WCPO Cincinnati, OH Looks like Deters has ticked off the police force with his strong comments. Don't forget - the prosecutor's office went after one of the police officers that testified for them during closing arguments. She was referred to as being part of the "good ole boy" network and possibly in collusion with the defense. That didn't sit well with the FOP or Chief Isaac.
July 25, 20179 yr Oh come on. Police make those decisions every day. Going one mile over the speed limit is breaking the law. How many people have been pulled over for it? Practically all of us should be, every day. In this very case, a man was killed after being pulled over for not having a front tag on his car. A tag. Resulting in his death. So as a result let's increase stops for minor traffic violations? My opinion and that of many others, like Chief David Brown, is that you don't just police a community, you have to become part of it. If you increase punitive penalties, that is not going to result in a better rapport with a community that distrusts cops, partly as a result of this shooting. How many stops for minor traffic violations resulted in a bigger bust? A warrant out for an arrest, illegal drugs, etc. Police aren't pulling people over to give them a ticket for missing a front license plate. I believe in this case, he would have been facing a felony for the amount of drugs found in the car. Also, wasn't there an issue when Tensing ran the back plate, there was an issue of suspicion also for the stop?
July 25, 20179 yr How many stops for minor traffic violations resulted in a bigger bust? A warrant out for an arrest, illegal drugs, etc. Police aren't pulling people over to give them a ticket for missing a front license plate. I believe in this case, he would have been facing a felony for the amount of drugs found in the car. Also, wasn't there an issue when Tensing ran the back plate, there was an issue of suspicion also for the stop? Not to mention the fact that being stopped for a "minor violation" does not have to result in an enforcement action. It can be handled profesionally, possibly give the person a warning and then you may actually have a person feeling they had a positive interaction with the police. The type of stops TBG is detesting are necessary and serve a purpose.
July 25, 20179 yr Not to mention the fact that being stopped for a "minor violation" does not have to result in an enforcement action. It can be handled profesionally, possibly give the person a warning and then you may actually have a person feeling they had a positive interaction with the police. The type of stops TBG is detesting are necessary and serve a purpose. You mean like the two stops Tensing had previous in the same day. When he could have arrested and took to jail one of them with outstanding traffic warrants, 4 kids in the backseat, and driving on a suspended license?
July 25, 20179 yr You mean like the two stops Tensing had previous in the same day. When he could have arrested and took to jail one of them with outstanding traffic warrants, 4 kids in the backseat, and driving on a suspended license? Happens all of the time, but it's not newsworthy and humanizes police officers.
July 25, 20179 yr Oh come on. Police make those decisions every day. Going one mile over the speed limit is breaking the law. How many people have been pulled over for it? Practically all of us should be, every day. In this very case, a man was killed after being pulled over for not having a front tag on his car. A tag. Resulting in his death. So as a result let's increase stops for minor traffic violations? My opinion and that of many others, like Chief David Brown, is that you don't just police a community, you have to become part of it. If you increase punitive penalties, that is not going to result in a better rapport with a community that distrusts cops, partly as a result of this shooting. A missing tag is NOT what lead to this man's death. Him not wanting to go back to jail (more than likely) because of what he had in his car, his noncooperation with the cop and attempting to drive away is what lead to this. By no means am I saying Tensing should have shot and killed Dubose, nor am I saying Dubose should have been shot, but the fact is Dubose put both he and Tensing in a very precarious situation where a bad quick reaction/decision can lead to a tragedy...and that's exactly what happened.
July 25, 20179 yr A missing tag is NOT what lead to this man's death. Him not wanting to go back to jail (more than likely) because of what he had in his car, his noncooperation with the cop and attempting to drive away is what lead to this. By no means am I saying Tensing should have shot and killed Dubose, nor am I saying Dubose should have been shot, but the fact is Dubose put both he and Tensing in a very precarious situation where a bad quick reaction/decision can lead to a tragedy...and that's exactly what happened. Feel free to blame Dubose. I hold Tensing responsible for his death.
July 25, 20179 yr How many stops for minor traffic violations resulted in a bigger bust? A warrant out for an arrest, illegal drugs, etc. Police aren't pulling people over to give them a ticket for missing a front license plate. I believe in this case, he would have been facing a felony for the amount of drugs found in the car. Also, wasn't there an issue when Tensing ran the back plate, there was an issue of suspicion also for the stop? Is the purpose of a minor traffic stop to find other offenses? So these are really fishing expeditions? I googled for about 15 minutes. I couldn't find anything that said that he was pulled over for anything besides not having a front plate on his vehicle. If you find otherwise, please share the link with me. This is the article that I have been trying to discuss, but evidently no one wantsngo read: What Sam DuBose’s rap sheet tells us about him and the police It details the differences between the UC police force and the Cincinnati police force. These include differences in training, percentages of blacks pulled over, types of stops, etc. Maybe it is not a fair comparison. Maybe comparing the UC police to another college police force would be better. One thing that I did find that I did not know. Testing was wearing a confederate flag t-shirt under his uniform that day.
July 25, 20179 yr Feel free to blame Dubose. I hold Tensing responsible for his death. And I'm not sure what to say if you DON'T think his actions leading up to the shooting didn't play a huge part in what happened.
July 25, 20179 yr Is the purpose of a minor traffic stop to find other offenses? So these are really fishing expeditions? I googled for about 15 minutes. I couldn't find anything that said that he was pulled over for anything besides not having a front plate on his vehicle. If you find otherwise, please share the link with me. This is the article that I have been trying to discuss, but evidently no one wantsngo read: What Sam DuBose’s rap sheet tells us about him and the police It details the differences between the UC police force and the Cincinnati police force. These include differences in training, percentages of blacks pulled over, types of stops, etc. Maybe it is not a fair comparison. Maybe comparing the UC police to another college police force would be better. One thing that I did find that I did not know. Testing was wearing a confederate flag t-shirt under his uniform that day. The car he was driving came back registered to someone with a suspended license, a female. So no front plate, vehicle owned by a suspended driver, owner of the car female, driver male.
July 25, 20179 yr Is the purpose of a minor traffic stop to find other offenses? So these are really fishing expeditions? I googled for about 15 minutes. I couldn't find anything that said that he was pulled over for anything besides not having a front plate on his vehicle. If you find otherwise, please share the link with me. This is the article that I have been trying to discuss, but evidently no one wantsngo read: What Sam DuBose’s rap sheet tells us about him and the police It details the differences between the UC police force and the Cincinnati police force. These include differences in training, percentages of blacks pulled over, types of stops, etc. Maybe it is not a fair comparison. Maybe comparing the UC police to another college police force would be better. One thing that I did find that I did not know. Testing was wearing a confederate flag t-shirt under his uniform that day. Tensing testifies: 'I shot him to stop the threat' - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV "Then Mathews played footage from his body camera of DuBose's traffic stop. He said he saw a Honda Accord without a front license plate. He ran the back plate and it came back registered to a female owner whose driver's license was under suspension. His confederate flag shirt was a gift from a family member that said Great Smoky Mountains 1934 or something like that. It did have a small picture of the confederate flag on it. He flipped on the lights of his patrol car to initiate a traffic stop. The driver was "slow to stop," he told jurors. Not fleeing, but not immediately pulling over, either. That raised Tensing's suspicions before he even got out of his patrol car, walked up and approached the driver's side of the Honda." His confederate flag shirt was a gift from a family member that said Great Smoky Mountains 1934 or something like that. It did have a small picture of the confederate flag on it.
July 25, 20179 yr Is the purpose of a minor traffic stop to find other offenses? So these are really fishing expeditions? I googled for about 15 minutes. I couldn't find anything that said that he was pulled over for anything besides not having a front plate on his vehicle. If you find otherwise, please share the link with me. This is the article that I have been trying to discuss, but evidently no one wantsngo read: What Sam DuBose’s rap sheet tells us about him and the police It details the differences between the UC police force and the Cincinnati police force. These include differences in training, percentages of blacks pulled over, types of stops, etc. Maybe it is not a fair comparison. Maybe comparing the UC police to another college police force would be better. One thing that I did find that I did not know. Testing was wearing a confederate flag t-shirt under his uniform that day. It was actually a Great Smokey Mountains shirt that had a small confederate flag on it. When you say "a confederate flag shirt" I picture one of those Union Jack shirts where the entire front is the flag of England like Joe Elliot wears in Def Leppard.
July 25, 20179 yr Also, put in your google "traffic stop yields" and see how many articles come up from around the country and what they found. It is quite eye opening. I believe these minor traffic violations add up. Many drunk drivers arrested which affect us and our kids. Many arrests for drug trafficking which affect us and our kids. Many articles where weapons, explosive devices, warrants issued for violent felons have all come up.
July 25, 20179 yr One thing that I did find that I did not know. Testing was wearing a confederate flag t-shirt under his uniform that day. Well...it's not just a confederate flag shirt. It's a shirt advertising "The Great Smokey Mountains" in Tennessee with the flag in the center background. Here is a picture. My guess is it's something he picked up as a souvenir while traveling in the area, though I have no facts to base that on. You be the judge. It's not nearly as "ominous" as some news articles would have you believe.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.