July 25, 20179 yr Well...it's not just a confederate flag shirt. It's a shirt advertising "The Great Smokey Mountains" in Tennessee with the flag in the center background. Here is a picture. My guess is it's something he picked up as a souvenir while traveling in the area, though I have no facts to base that on. You be the judge. It's not nearly as "ominous" as some news articles would have you believe. [ATTACH]62979[/ATTACH] He has said a family member gave it to him a couple years ago when they were in the area. He has to wear a black shirt under his uniform per policy.
July 25, 20179 yr Well...it's not just a confederate flag shirt. It's a shirt advertising "The Great Smokey Mountains" in Tennessee with the flag in the center background. Here is a picture. My guess is it's something he picked up as a souvenir while traveling in the area, though I have no facts to base that on. You be the judge. It's not nearly as "ominous" as some news articles would have you believe. [ATTACH]62979[/ATTACH] The tee shirt pulled the trigger.
July 25, 20179 yr I will say, I am not judging whether he should have been convicted. The jury sat in the trial for weeks and heard a lot more info than what I have. But, I don't think the shirt proves he is a racist especially the way he treated other black motorists the same day for the same violation. I also think stopping motorists for minor infractions can and do result in more meaningful arrests. He was also under direct order from the police chief to increase stops for traffic violations.
July 25, 20179 yr Author Also, put in your google "traffic stop yields" and see how many articles come up from around the country and what they found. It is quite eye opening. I believe these minor traffic violations add up. Many drunk drivers arrested which affect us and our kids. Many arrests for drug trafficking which affect us and our kids. Many articles where weapons, explosive devices, warrants issued for violent felons have all come up. After Oklahoma City bombing, McVeigh's arrest almost went unnoticed - LA Times
July 25, 20179 yr Oh come on. Police make those decisions every day. Going one mile over the speed limit is breaking the law. How many people have been pulled over for it? Practically all of us should be, every day. In this very case, a man was killed after being pulled over for not having a front tag on his car. A tag. Resulting in his death. So as a result let's increase stops for minor traffic violations? My opinion and that of many others, like Chief David Brown, is that you don't just police a community, you have to become part of it. If you increase punitive penalties, that is not going to result in a better rapport with a community that distrusts cops, partly as a result of this shooting. The tag isn't why he died. People are pulled over for that every single day and live to tell about it. He died because he tried to run and the officer over reacted to it and shot him. Silly stops like that one have resulted in some very bad people being caught. I think everyone has to use common sense, but the reason he was stopped isn't the issue.
July 25, 20179 yr It seems no one wants to discuss the article but sure want to defend his t-shirt. I wonder if you also defended Colin Kapernick for his t-shirt choices? I don't care who gives me a shirt with a confederate flag or Fidel Castro, if I wear it, I am wearing it by my choice and won't try to finagle around it. My family and friends know me well enough that they would never give me such "gifts." I don't support what either stand for. Unfortunately, I guess we can't discuss the issues that the article brings up. I'm still interested in that discussion, if anyone else is.
July 25, 20179 yr It seems no one wants to discuss the article but sure want to defend his t-shirt. I wonder if you also defended Colin Kapernick for his t-shirt choices? I don't care who gives me a shirt with a confederate flag or Fidel Castro, if I wear it, I am wearing it by my choice and won't try to finagle around it. My family and friends know me well enough that they would never give me such "gifts." I don't support what either stand for. Unfortunately, I guess we can't discuss the issues that the article brings up. I'm still interested in that discussion, if anyone else is. Lets discuss it. Item 1. Had DuBose provided proper ID for police to run his record, perhaps they would have know about his non violent past. Perhaps they would have been put at easy, because he provided ID, the officer could have then went to his car and ran the ID, meanwhile DeBose would have waited patiently in the vehicle in which he was illegally driving for the officer to return, and who know from there.
July 25, 20179 yr I don't want to get into a discussion about policing and I don't know or care how racist Tensing was or wasn't, but I can tell you with 100% certainty, if somebody gave me that tshirt with a Confederate Flag on it, I don't care who it was, I would immediately tell them how I feel and that it's going on top of a bonfire.
July 25, 20179 yr Lets discuss it. Item 1. Had DuBose provided proper ID for police to run his record, perhaps they would have know about his non violent past. Perhaps they would have been put at easy, because he provided ID, the officer could have then went to his car and ran the ID, meanwhile DeBose would have waited patiently in the vehicle in which he was illegally driving for the officer to return, and who know from there. You've read the whole article, yes? I can discuss that issue, too, but the point that I've been trying to discuss is the wisdom behind the UC police force increasing minor traffic stops since this death. There seems to be a marked difference between the UC police force and the Cincinnati police force, in terms of training and actions, perhaps even policy.
July 25, 20179 yr You've read the whole article, yes? I can discuss that issue, too, but the point that I've been trying to discuss is the wisdom behind the UC police force increasing minor traffic stops since this death. There seems to be a marked difference between the UC police force and the Cincinnati police force, in terms of training and actions, perhaps even policy. Wouldnt each force have to train and have policies that are best for the areas they cover?
July 25, 20179 yr You've read the whole article, yes? I can discuss that issue, too, but the point that I've been trying to discuss is the wisdom behind the UC police force increasing minor traffic stops since this death. There seems to be a marked difference between the UC police force and the Cincinnati police force, in terms of training and actions, perhaps even policy. Huge difference in training and policy I would assume since Cincinnati Police have been operating under the Collaborative Agreement and UC Police are not included.
July 25, 20179 yr I don't want to get into a discussion about policing and I don't know or care how racist Tensing was or wasn't, but I can tell you with 100% certainty, if somebody gave me that tshirt with a Confederate Flag on it, I don't care who it was, I would immediately tell them how I feel and that it's going on top of a bonfire. Ditto. I won't even let someone park their truck in my driveway if they have a Confederate flag sticker, license plate, etc. If you have a confederate flag anywhere on your person or personal property, I will judge you. #redneckprofiling
July 25, 20179 yr Author You've read the whole article, yes? I can discuss that issue, too, but the point that I've been trying to discuss is the wisdom behind the UC police force increasing minor traffic stops since this death. There seems to be a marked difference between the UC police force and the Cincinnati police force, in terms of training and actions, perhaps even policy. According to the article, They have twice as many cops hired but I thought I read something they were no longer allowed to patrol around the perimeter of the University? This article doesn't appear to agree with that? UC has hired 32 new police officers in the past year, nearly doubling its ranks. It’s shifted its focus from campus patrols to more aggressive traffic enforcement in city neighborhoods bordering the campus. UC cops have issued more traffic tickets so far this year than in all of 2014, and more than three times as many tickets as in 2012, according to an Enquirer analysis of data from UC researchers. By the way, favorite quote from the article “Trust me: Law-abiding citizens do not want officers to cease making stops based on minor violations,” Burke said.
July 25, 20179 yr It was actually a Great Smokey Mountains shirt that had a small confederate flag on it. When you say "a confederate flag shirt" I picture one of those Union Jack shirts where the entire front is the flag of England like Joe Elliot wears in Def Leppard. I may be misremembering, but didn't you have a child that put a confederate flag license plate on the front of a vehicle? You had said child remove the license plate? Would this as a license plate meet your approval?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.