Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

(Hypothetical) Parallel Question about Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner situation

Featured Replies

  • Author
For the record, I love that using the N word is now a "benefit". :lol2: :lol2:

 

Not a "benefit" IMO, but something that (at least in the overwhelming majority of situations) blacks can use it but whites cannot. There are obviously exceptions, but most of the time. JMO.

 

I wouldn't call minority scholarships "higher scholarships". You may want to research that one better. However, in your situation since you look white but are black on the inside you would qualify for a minority scholarship at one of the Historically Black Universities like Morehouse, Grambling, Southern, etc. If I were you I'd take advantage of your skin tone and go get one of those minority scholarships that the black colleges use to improve diversity on their campuses.

 

Okay, so maybe they are not higher in terms of amount, but there are absolutely more race-specific scholarships for black students than for white students.

 

But my skin tone is not really who I am. My true identity is determined by my "personal, interior feelings," right? (Not directed at you specifically)

  • Replies 55
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Sure. The scholarship criteria includes academic merit, leadership and service, with a likelihood to "give back to the community." If you were the most qualified in those categories, I'd give you the scholarship.

 

As a high school teacher, a few years ago, I wrote a recommendation for a student for a college diversity scholarship. The student was a white male. I wrote in the recommendation how he met the criteria, including his diversity. He didn't receive the scholarship, but I was serious in my recommendation.

 

That's awesome. I actually have had discussions with people about how diversity scholarships are not diverse at all, if they include only 1 race/minority. But I am talking about ( Woodford R. Porter Scholarship ? Office of Admissions ) clearly says "Black/African-American students." Even if I am white on the outside, I should be eligible for this scholarship because of my own personal feelings.

That's awesome. I actually have had discussions with people about how diversity scholarships are not diverse at all, if they include only 1 race/minority. But I am talking about ( Woodford R. Porter Scholarship ? Office of Admissions ) clearly says "Black/African-American students." Even if I am white on the outside, I should be eligible for this scholarship because of my own personal feelings.

 

Agreed. I already said that if I was on the committee and you had the best application, that I'd award the scholarship to you.

Not a "benefit" IMO, but something that (at least in the overwhelming majority of situations) blacks can use it but whites cannot. There are obviously exceptions, but most of the time. JMO.

 

 

 

Okay, so maybe they are not higher in terms of amount, but there are absolutely more race-specific scholarships for black students than for white students.

 

But my skin tone is not really who I am.

 

Yes, because the overwhelming majority of students in college who receive scholarships are white. Whether they be for academics, athletics or whatever I'm fairly certain the majority of people on scholarships are white people. In order for some blacks to even attend college the minority scholarships are the only things that keep them in school and the minority scholarships only cover so much as well. To go even further, there are also black students that are in the situation I had when I was trying to attend college. I didn't do good enough in school to get a full academic scholarship or any significant scholarship to pay for school, my parents made too much money for me to get financial aid and they made too much money for me to qualify for any of the minority scholarships so I was in the same boat as the average white person. I paid for college through loans and paid them off once that time came. So for me, your whole premise of wanting a minority scholarship because you are black on the inside is laughable. I'm black on the outside and couldn't get a minority scholarship.

  • Author
Yes, because the overwhelming majority of students in college who receive scholarships are white. Whether they be for academics, athletics or whatever I'm fairly certain the majority of people on scholarships are white people. In order for some blacks to even attend college the minority scholarships are the only things that keep them in school and the minority scholarships only cover so much as well. To go even further, there are also black students that are in the situation I had when I was trying to attend college. I didn't do good enough in school to get a full academic scholarship or any significant scholarship to pay for school, my parents made too much money for me to get financial aid and they made too much money for me to qualify for any of the minority scholarships so I was in the same boat as the average white person. I paid for college through loans and paid them off once that time came. So for me, your whole premise of wanting a minority scholarship because you are black on the inside is laughable. I'm black on the outside and couldn't get a minority scholarship.

 

Bolded is correct. And I absolutely agree with all of this in terms of scholarships and need for them amongst minorities.

 

But that is not the whole point of this thread (and I went off topic as well). The point is, would I even be able to apply and be seriously considered for minority scholarships (or say the N word, or join Concerned Black Students, or be hired at a company because they are diversifying even if someone is more qualified than me, etc.) if I am clearly white on the outside, but insist that I am black?

Bolded is correct. And I absolutely agree with all of this in terms of scholarships and need for them amongst minorities.

 

But that is not the whole point of this thread (and I went off topic as well). The point is, would I even be able to apply and be seriously considered for minority scholarships (or say the N word, or join Concerned Black Students, or be hired at a company because they are diversifying even if someone is more qualified than me, etc.) if I am clearly white on the outside, but insist that I am black?

 

Honestly I think that would be up to each individual institution and you'd have different answers at each one.

 

I've been involved in groups like the Black Student Union and white people were absolutely allowed to be a member. It was always about the message and not the exclusion of anyone who wanted to be a part of it. All people of all colors were welcome to join.

While I am not sure about the execution ie the example used I think InIt's premise/question is very good.

 

Assuming Jenner now uses women's facilities in public places because of how he "feels" what does that open the door for? How far can someone take this?

 

Let's say Bruce had this procedure done at age 15. Could he/she play female high school sports?

 

I think this debate is truly a legal debate. What comes with a procedure where you are still at your core the same sex/race but you have made an "effort" to change that trait ?

I posed my question to the cosmos...aka...the world at large.

 

I am curious.

 

I suppose if it's acceptable to gossip and comment and question others lives, its acceptable for one to question those questioning...right?

Spindoc...You're tall in my book! :thumb:

Spindoc...You're tall in my book! :thumb:

 

I feel tall. I feel as tall as you're son today.

While I am not sure about the execution ie the example used I think InIt's premise/question is very good.

 

Assuming Jenner now uses women's facilities in public places because of how he "feels" what does that open the door for? How far can someone take this?

 

Let's say Bruce had this procedure done at age 15. Could he/she play female high school sports?

 

I think this debate is truly a legal debate. What comes with a procedure where you are still at your core the same sex/race but you have made an "effort" to change that trait ?

 

Do you have a phone tap on me? Had the exact conversation with a co-worker today.

I feel tall. I feel as tall as you're son today.

 

You could always do like Fletch and sport the afro wig. He gained four inches out of the deal and displayed some impressive old-school post moves that had Kareem raving.

I feel like this conversation needs a little levity, and I find this is a good place to insert this C. Thomas Howell classic.

 

  • Author
I posed my question to the cosmos...aka...the world at large.

 

I am curious.

 

I suppose if it's acceptable to gossip and comment and question others lives, its acceptable for one to question those questioning...right?

 

Without gossip, comment, and question, BluegrassPreps would not exist. :) But yes it is absolutely acceptable to question that.

Honestly I think that would be up to each individual institution and you'd have different answers at each one.

 

I've been involved in groups like the Black Student Union and white people were absolutely allowed to be a member. It was always about the message and not the exclusion of anyone who wanted to be a part of it. All people of all colors were welcome to join.

 

How can this be true? At the risk of going even farther off the reservation if Jenner will now enjoy the status that comes from being a class protected from discrimination then how come it would be left up to the individual institutions to determine if InItToWinIt qualifies? After all we've been told that individual entities don't have the right to refuse to to business with someone in one of the legally protected classes.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.