Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

(Hypothetical) Parallel Question about Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner situation

Featured Replies

I didn't see where RM said that it shouldn't be "commented" on. Some are very worked up about it and like RM, I can't understand why. Why is the topic so polarizing?

 

If it doesn't affect you, why does it matter why someone else is so worked up about it?

 

(That "you" is very general, btw.)

  • Replies 55
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't see where RM said that it shouldn't be "commented" on. Some are very worked up about it and like RM, I can't understand why. Why is the topic so polarizing?

 

So basically people can comment on it, but only if they agree with it. If anyone doesn't agree, they're "worked up" about it?

I often feel tall. My genetics say otherwise, but I feel tall, so I am tall. You'll all address me as tall. Carry on.

Would I qualify for higher scholarships at my college because I feel black? That's not fair if I don't. Just because I look white does not mean I am white.

 

That's like saying that transgender people go through what they do just so that they can use the other restroom.

So basically people can comment on it, but only if they agree with it. If anyone doesn't agree, they're "worked up" about it?

 

That's not what I said at all. Many in this thread and others aren't "worked up" about it and are just generally commenting on it.

  • Author
That's like saying that transgender people go through what they do just so that they can use the other restroom.

 

I am saying that I actually am black on the inside. I did not claim to be black just for scholarship; I actually am [on the inside]. And if I actually am on the inside, which apparently means who I really am, then I am entitled to the same benefits, including using the N word, diversity scholarships, and joining the "Concerned Black Students" (actual club on my campus).

If it doesn't affect you, why does it matter why someone else is so worked up about it?

 

(That "you" is very general, btw.)

 

I'm a curious person. I'd like to understand why they feel so bothered by it. It's not for the purpose of making a judgment, but for understanding.

I am saying that I actually am black on the inside. I did not claim to be black just for scholarship; I actually am [on the inside]. And if I actually am on the inside, which apparently means who I really am, then I am entitled to the same benefits, including using the N word, diversity scholarships, and joining the "Concerned Black Students" (actual club on my campus).

 

Again, I don't excuse anyone for using the "n" word. As for scholarships and membership into organizations, go for it.

  • Author
Again, I don't excuse anyone for using the "n" word. As for scholarships and membership into organizations, go for it.

 

Okay, so if you were on the Board of Directors for Financial Aid, and I walked into your office, clearly looking like a white male and said "I'd like to apply for the Woodford R Porter Scholarship (http://louisville.edu/admissions/aid/scholarships/porter)," you would take me seriously as an applicant?

 

Good to know.

I made an argument similar to this, but not as means to use "the N word". I think we will see this, if it has not already occurred. The benefits of this argument, as it relates to either gender or race, are the minority business options it opens up.

 

With no way to "prove" or "disprove", how do we equitably determine who should be receiving MBE credits for work awards, contracts, hiring preference points, etc....

I am going to use myself in this example; but it is not 100% truth. I use myself as the example so that those of you who know me (and those who do not) can try to envision me saying this to you out loud, and perhaps that will enable you to see my perspective.

______________________________________________________________________

 

So, if I have followed this whole situation closely, it is my understanding that Bruce Jenner was born as a male, 'assigned' that gender due to his genitalia and a simple DNA test that shows a Y chromosome, in 1949.

 

In 2015, Jenner came out and said that for as long as (s)he can remember*, (s)he has been a girl on the inside despite having male genitalia and the biological makeup (a Y chromosome) of a male. *A point that could be debated, but for another thread.

 

It is very clear that Jenner has been widely accepted as a women now, and (I assume) will now be using women's locker rooms and restrooms, something which in the past only women have been allowed to do. But, since Jenner feels like a women on the inside, (s)he is allowed the right to use the women's facilities.

 

Despite thousands of years of advancements in medical technology that say Jenner is a male, (s)he has decided that on the inside, (s)he is female. And now Jenner is allowed the right to use and access facilities that are intended for female use only.

 

[Note: This goes for all transgenders, not just Jenner. (S)He is just the easiest example to use since everybody knows Jenner]

 

 

So my question to my fellow Bluegrasspreps enthusiasts:

 

I was born multiple decades ago, and due to my both of my parents and all of my ancestors being white, the race I was 'assigned' at birth was determined to be "white." However, despite all of my genetic and biological makeup showing that I am white, I have felt like an African American for as long as I can remember. It is my goal to become a freestyle rapper (for argument's sake), and in many of my raps I use the N word.

 

Anyone who supports Bruce Jenner's transition and accepts that (s)he is now an actual woman cannot tell me that I cannot use the N word, because, on the inside, I feel that I am an African American and am entitled to that word. Even though in the past several decades the word has been reserved for African Americans only and on the outside I am white, it would be perfectly acceptable for me to use that word since I feel I am African American. Despite all of the thousands of years and advancements in medicine Western civilization has made that all point to me being a white male, I am throwing all of that out the window because I think and have always thought that I am African American. Even though I may look white, it is what I personally feel inside my head that is my true identity - an African American male.

 

I am now allowed to say the N word, since that is how I feel on the inside, right?

 

You can use the N word now as a white rapper. You think that hasn't been done before? Jennifer Lopez has done it. Eminen has done it. Fat Joe has done it. Big Pun has done it. None of them are black or African American. There are multiple others who have done it but not in the mainstream.

 

Go for it. Put your demo on iTunes.

For the record, I love that using the N word is now a "benefit". :lol2: :lol2:

For the record, I love that using the N word is now a "benefit". :lol2: :lol2:

 

:lol2: :lol2: :thumb:

Okay, so if you were on the Board of Directors for Financial Aid, and I walked into your office, clearly looking like a white male and said "I'd like to apply for the Woodford R Porter Scholarship (http://louisville.edu/admissions/aid/scholarships/porter)," you would take me seriously as an applicant?

 

Good to know.

 

Sure. The scholarship criteria includes academic merit, leadership and service, with a likelihood to "give back to the community." If you were the most qualified in those categories, I'd give you the scholarship.

 

As a high school teacher, a few years ago, I wrote a recommendation for a student for a college diversity scholarship. The student was a white male. I wrote in the recommendation how he met the criteria, including his diversity. He didn't receive the scholarship, but I was serious in my recommendation.

Would I qualify for higher scholarships at my college because I feel black? That's not fair if I don't. Just because I look white does not mean I am white.

 

I wouldn't call minority scholarships "higher scholarships". You may want to research that one better. However, in your situation since you look white but are black on the inside you would qualify for a minority scholarship at one of the Historically Black Universities like Morehouse, Grambling, Southern, etc. If I were you I'd take advantage of your skin tone and go get one of those minority scholarships that the black colleges use to improve diversity on their campuses.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.