Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AAU State 5/8-5/10

Featured Replies

I didn't see anything. Usually at these events it's the parents who get into it. I know Wireman experienced that first hand at a game on Sunday.

 

There were two incidents during that final game. I heard one guy was a serial offender and it's a shame. Personally, I think an adult should never get into a trash talking contest with a kid on the court. As I found out Sunday...that NEVER goes over well with parents. Don't mess with momma :lol2:

  • Replies 168
  • Views 32.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hoop Dreams 16U Orange (The "Good" team) lost in pool play to the Louisville Lightening and then lost in the 1st round of Bracket play to the "KY Maulers" in their OWN AGE GROUP... But I don't see any Threads started about that? At the end of the day, half of the Travelers 16U are actually 15U kids, so most were playing up 2 age groups. For those kids to have two victories of 24 and 28 points against 17U teams that made it to the Elite 8 is phenomenal....

 

Does anyone know why the Travelers played in 17U instead of 16U? I would have thought if they had a few 15U players on their team they would have played in 16U. I assume the 15U players you are talking about are 16 year olds? It seems as most of the stronger players in 15U are already 16 years old, stronger players in 16U are 17 years old, etc. Most are able to play at those levels based on grade.

  • Author
Does anyone know why the Travelers played in 17U instead of 16U? I would have thought if they had a few 15U players on their team they would have played in 16U. I assume the 15U players you are talking about are 16 year olds? It seems as most of the stronger players in 15U are already 16 years old, stronger players in 16U are 17 years old, etc. Most are able to play at those levels based on grade.

 

They have played their 16s up into 17u for the 3 years they have been in KY. Jesse Sizemore told me last year that they do that to see more size. They play a lot of big 16u teams throughout the year.

They have played their 16s up into 17u for the 3 years they have been in KY. Jesse Sizemore told me last year that they do that to see more size. They play a lot of big 16u teams throughout the year.

 

Could the Travelers have won the 16U State tournament?

Could the Travelers have won the 16U State tournament?

 

They would have definitely been one of the top teams.

Lets be honest here another reason they do it is so they do not lose.

 

Travelers are the only Nike sponsored team in Kentucky so if they lose to a team in the state their own age that will not look to great and if they play up and lose then it isn't as big of a deal to lose then. If they played their own age and won they probably wouldn't receive a great amount of credit as most would say that they have the best kids and this is what they are supposed to do.

 

If they had played their own age in state it would be interesting to see how many state championships they would have, 1-2 or 3?

 

I might be wrong on this but I believe playing the 16u team in the 17u state is the only non Nike event that either of the Travelers teams play all year.

They have played their 16s up into 17u for the 3 years they have been in KY. Jesse Sizemore told me last year that they do that to see more size. They play a lot of big 16u teams throughout the year.

 

Q is right and that is exactly what I was told too. To continue the preparation of what they face in the events they play in. As to the age of their 9th grade (15U) players on the team they buck the trend of frequent use of reclassification benefits. Each of them are 15:

 

Ahmad Price, Trey Hill (moving to 15U Lou Magic), & JJ Reed-Each 15 with Fall birth dates in 1999

 

Anthony Wales & Zan Payne-Both just turned 15 with Spring 1999 birth dates

 

Tre King is actually a sophomore this past season, but is only 15 with a fall 1999 birth date and was a 4 year old entering school.

 

So in some cases they were not only playing against two years older in grade, but if those kids were reclassified kids they were actually three years older. I personally think the reclassification value diminishes as they start to enter high school. I see way too many star middle school kids who get left behind as they lose their size advantage of the past.

Lets be honest here another reason they do it is so they do not lose.

 

Travelers are the only Nike sponsored team in Kentucky so if they lose to a team in the state their own age that will not look to great and if they play up and lose then it isn't as big of a deal to lose then. If they played their own age and won they probably wouldn't receive a great amount of credit as most would say that they have the best kids and this is what they are supposed to do.

 

If they had played their own age in state it would be interesting to see how many state championships they would have, 1-2 or 3?

 

I might be wrong on this but I believe playing the 16u team in the 17u state is the only non Nike event that either of the Travelers teams play all year.

 

In the Spring it is the only non-Nike event and the 16U team was scheduled to be in Houston as well that weekend but changed plans. Nike requires all 17U teams to play in the EYBL scheduled events and has moved toward requiring that with 16U also. Nike enhanced the 16U circuit and require the 16U teams to be in a minimum number of those events. I would not be surprised if next year they require the 16U to play in all of the events the 17U attend. I also was told that the Travelers have always played up even when they were in Tennessee and that the tradition of doing so would not ever change. Just a philosophy that has been in place for 15 years so who knows what factors started that.

  • Author
In the Spring it is the only non-Nike event and the 16U team was scheduled to be in Houston as well that weekend but changed plans. Nike requires all 17U teams to play in the EYBL scheduled events and has moved toward requiring that with 16U also. Nike enhanced the 16U circuit and require the 16U teams to be in a minimum number of those events. I would not be surprised if next year they require the 16U to play in all of the events the 17U attend. I also was told that the Travelers have always played up even when they were in Tennessee and that the tradition of doing so would not ever change. Just a philosophy that has been in place for 15 years so who knows what factors started that.

 

I hope Nike also increases their program budgets then. It's not cheap to fly and house all those kids. I know programs like Team Takeover have no budget issues because Nike gives them more than enough, but not all budgets are equal.

I hope Nike also increases their program budgets then. It's not cheap to fly and house all those kids. I know programs like Team Takeover have no budget issues because Nike gives them more than enough, but not all budgets are equal.

 

So true, and a reality of all the shoe sponsored circuits. In general people have no idea how tough it is to fund any elite travel ball team. While many people provide ample support, just as many never help even when asked. And then the same people wonder why KY basketball is down compared to other states. It starts with investing in our young talent and that requires a bigger budget than most have funding for.

Any idea what those budgets are? Just curious as to how much funding a high level team receives.

I was very impressed with Charlotte Court, you can tell those young men have meshed well with each other. As for may, what are some big events going on memorial day weekend and may 30th?

I was very impressed with Charlotte Court, you can tell those young men have meshed well with each other. As for may, what are some big events going on memorial day weekend and may 30th?

 

There's an event in Louisville during Memorial Day weekend. I don't know all the details about it yet.

  • Author
Any idea what those budgets are? Just curious as to how much funding a high level team receives.

 

It depends on the program.

 

This article mentions the financials of the Travelers: Club team, Nike reap benefits of sponsorship

 

I know Team Takeover was offered a MASSIVE deal by Under Armour last year to leave Nike but declined. Top teams like that receive hundreds of thousands of dollars. But they also consistently churn out NBA lottery picks.

Thank you, any good events on the weekend of the 30th or are most AAU teams finished by that time?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.