Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Baltimore Mayor says space was provided for those who wished to destroy stuff.

Featured Replies

Sure. That's like saying maintenance people or nurses are low rent.

 

Okay. So it's fine to call the POTUS a moron, an idiot, stupid, dumb, clueless, etc. but call a cop low rent and it's offensive?

 

 

Whatever.

  • Replies 371
  • Views 27.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
C'mon man, you know some of those gang members that I've represented pro bono once they've went straight and got jobs, that's just a front, right? I'm actually recruiting. Bloods, Crips, Aryan Nation, Latin Kings, Bandidos, it doesn't matter, just so long as I get them back into that life.

 

In all seriousness, someone asked a question as to how you knew the people in the pictures were gang members. I was just stating the obvious.

 

I don't know how any of that was importing any kind of belief of my own, but whatever. I think anyone who really knew me would laugh their butt off at the thought of me as some banger.

 

Disagreeing with what I say is fine and I can take it all day, but saying that I'm promoting gang life is the height of absurdity if you really knew me. You can come up with better than that.

 

I'm going to crip walk back to bed. I'll jump back in tonight when I head back to work.

I hope the idiots burn down every store in their own neighborhoods, just so they can then ask themselves why they aren't rebuilding a year form now. Serves them right.

Okay. So it's fine to call the POTUS a moron, an idiot, stupid, dumb, clueless, etc. but call a cop low rent and it's offensive?

 

 

Whatever.

 

I'd saying calling an individual a name based on individual actions is a lot different than degrading an entire proffesion of hard working people. Although I wouldn't be in favor of calling the president any of the above either. But I may be guilty of the clueless word .

Well, I ran into burning buildings and took care of the sick and injured for 20 plus years. I don't consider myself low rent.

 

Being Yale educated has nothing to do with whether one is low rent or not.

 

Ok, awesome, and I mean that. I'm not calling you low rent.

 

I'm low rent. I grew up in the sticks in Appalachia and have ate frozen pizza for the last two weeks. I've done a lot of good things for people in my profession too. Nothing I'm ashamed of, facts are facts.

 

Being Yale educated definitely means that you are NOT "low rent" unless you are maybe one of the very small percentage of students there who isn't affluent. That's just a fact.

 

The way I used it in the story was probably inflammatory, but I was just making the point that most of us who tried to put ourselves in Gates' shoes would be a little perplexed. When someone who I'm guessing doesn't live there comes to your place (likely in a gated community that hasn't had a burglary in years) and accuses you, as a Harvard professor and one of Time's 25 Most Influential Americans, of breaking in, then it's probably a bit frustrating.

 

I'm sure that as an attorney he knew his rights, and that probably made the guy even madder, even if Gates was right. I just don't see why he wouldn't take the identification of he or his colleague or do something to confirm that they lived there, which I think we can all agree would have been the sensible thing to do. Remember, this wasn't just Gates, it was he and a colleague. If it were just one of them, I'd be more inclined to side with the guy.

 

So he took Gates to jail. It means he was a guy who got to have his minute where he was right and later had to deal with having more than a few eyebrows raised at it. All of that doesn't mean that I'd like to hand over the power to invest or diversify the economy to him or will sit and say he used great judgment.

 

I'm not really sure that Gates was a picture of respect (possibly even at first), but I don't think it's very likely that the officer was either. Stuff happens, and call me elitist or whatever, but I'll give the benefit of the "who used good judgment" doubt to the guy with the credentials standing in his own home, and I don't really know what's so hard to understand about that.

I'd saying calling an individual a name based on individual actions is a lot different than degrading an entire proffesion of hard working people. Although I wouldn't be in favor of calling the president any of the above either. But I may be guilty of the clueless word .

 

How did I degrade an entire profession of hard working people?

 

I called the officer who arrested him "low rent". I said that because he probably didn't seem to behave with the sophistication that most people in the neighborhood likely have.

 

Sorry, I'm not going to sit and say that I think the guy who has been on the beat since at least 1986 and is still there is as intelligent or uses the same judgment as the average homeowner in a neighborhood like the one Harvard professors live in.

 

Everyone can think what you will, but that's the reality that most of us are living in, and I don't see why saying that is so whatever.

How did I degrade an entire profession of hard working people?

 

I called the officer who arrested him "low rent". I said that because he probably didn't seem to behave with the sophistication that most people in the neighborhood likely have.

 

Sorry, I'm not going to sit and say that I think the guy who has been on the beat since at least 1986 and is still there is as intelligent or uses the same judgment as the average homeowner in a neighborhood like the one Harvard professors live in.

 

Everyone can think what you will, but that's the reality that most of us are living in, and I don't see why saying that is so whatever.

 

You realize low rent is a degrading term by people who think they are superior to another person. There is no "fact" surronding calling someone low rent. The only "fact" is that it is a term to degrade someone else.

 

I think the problem is you don't realize the history with the term.

I get why what's happening is happening. When years of perceived prejudice and misconduct continue to go unchecked at some point it reaches a breaking point.

 

Doesn't make it right, just the reality of it.

 

Oh, and those that are looting are looters and criminals. They are not protesters. The ones that are truly protesting are doing it peacefully.

 

Orioles game has been postponed for the second straight day as well.

Ok, awesome, and I mean that. I'm not calling you low rent.

 

I'm low rent. I grew up in the sticks in Appalachia and have ate frozen pizza for the last two weeks. I've done a lot of good things for people in my profession too. Nothing I'm ashamed of, facts are facts.

 

Being Yale educated definitely means that you are NOT "low rent" unless you are maybe one of the very small percentage of students there who isn't affluent. That's just a fact.

 

The way I used it in the story was probably inflammatory, but I was just making the point that most of us who tried to put ourselves in Gates' shoes would be a little perplexed. When someone who I'm guessing doesn't live there comes to your place (likely in a gated community that hasn't had a burglary in years) and accuses you, as a Harvard professor and one of Time's 25 Most Influential Americans, of breaking in, then it's probably a bit frustrating.

 

I'm sure that as an attorney he knew his rights, and that probably made the guy even madder, even if Gates was right. I just don't see why he wouldn't take the identification of he or his colleague or do something to confirm that they lived there, which I think we can all agree would have been the sensible thing to do. Remember, this wasn't just Gates, it was he and a colleague. If it were just one of them, I'd be more inclined to side with the guy.

 

So he took Gates to jail. It means he was a guy who got to have his minute where he was right and later had to deal with having more than a few eyebrows raised at it. All of that doesn't mean that I'd like to hand over the power to invest or diversify the economy to him or will sit and say he used great judgment.

 

I'm not really sure that Gates was a picture of respect (possibly even at first), but I don't think it's very likely that the officer was either. Stuff happens, and call me elitist or whatever, but I'll give the benefit of the "who used good judgment" doubt to the guy with the credentials standing in his own home, and I don't really know what's so hard to understand about that.

 

Yep, I'd agree that you are elitist.

 

I think anytime you immediately rank one person above another based solely on the institution you graduated from, elitist would fit the bill.

You realize low rent is a degrading term by people who think they are superior to another person. There is no "fact" surronding calling someone low rent. The only "fact" is that it is a term to degrade someone else.

 

I think the problem is you don't realize the history with the term.

 

Apparently not. It's more of a Twitter slam than social commentary.

 

If you want to PM me with what it means, I'm actually interested in knowing and don't want to take away from the thread any more. Sorry for thread-jacking.

I've avoided this and the other threads on this subject because I've already read most of what is being said on both sides a few months ago in the Ferguson threads...if these have been discussed I apologize that I've not read every post on this or the other threads.

 

A couple of questions that I have, Why hasn't the Mayor and Police Chief done something about the police issues that are going on in Baltimore that seem to be fueling the riots?

 

Aren't the police officers involved in this situation suspended and under investigation, if so then why are they rioting?

Yep, I'd agree that you are elitist.

 

I think anytime you immediately rank one person above another based solely on the institution you graduated from, elitist would fit the bill.

 

Well thank you. If thinking that someone who works at Harvard is likely going to be smarter than someone who doesn't, then yes, I'm elitist to the core. Otherwise, someone's intrinsic worth is not what I was going for at all.

 

Regardless, the connotation is probably a nice fit and I would imagine that I'm viewed as such by plenty of people here, so we'll leave it there unless you'd like to tell me anything else.

I've avoided this and the other threads on this subject because I've already read most of what is being said on both sides a few months ago in the Ferguson threads...if these have been discussed I apologize that I've not read every post on this or the other threads.

 

A couple of questions that I have, Why hasn't the Mayor and Police Chief done something about the police issues that are going on in Baltimore that seem to be fueling the riots?

 

Aren't the police officers involved in this situation suspended and under investigation, if so then why are they rioting?

 

 

Tons of lawsuits have left the city hemorrhaging money, and there have likely been cuts associated with that. Those have probably only served to perpetuate things even further and it's just been a cyclic thing.

 

I think I'd seen a separate article about some of the new blood in office shifting toward policy of more aggressively defending the city against civil suits, and that's probably caused some factions to form as well.

 

Brutality lawsuits continue in Baltimore, site of Freddie Gray death - Baltimore Sun

I get why what's happening is happening. When years of perceived prejudice and misconduct continue to go unchecked at some point it reaches a breaking point.

 

 

Question I have is when is it actually prejudice and not just an excuse?

 

Baltimore is majority african american, the local government is majority black, the police dept is majority black...when does it become an actual prejudice and when does it stop being an excuse to act as thugs?

 

It's getting tiresome with the woe is me garbage that is becoming the norm anymore just to find a reason to act like lawless barbarians.

 

 

If you ask me, Baltimore is making the thought of Matial Law actually look good.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.