Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mercer County 2015

Featured Replies

What does Mercer County need to do to improve in 2015? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

  • Replies 82
  • Views 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They need a coach that can control the locker room as well as the X's & O's. They graduated some of their O-line and D-line. It will help to have a healthy Davis at QB. Defense needs work. Offense had it's moments, just not enough of them.

Believe Mercer just hit a home run with this hire.

@DannyEWeddle: After 19 seasons as the football coach at Mason Co., David Buchanan is leaving to become the head coach at his alma mater, Mercer Co.

What experience an upcoming talent do they have?

Drew Davis returns for his senior season at QB. He has struggled with ankle problems that have kept him from playing a complete season without limitations. But he has a good arm, leadership abilities, and is football-smart. Trayvan Faulkner returns for his sophomore season at WR. He is a great athlete and I look for big things out of him this year. Chase Moore is another capable receiver that returns this season after missing most of last year with an injury. I'm hoping that Malik Dowell (who transferred from Louisville Ballard and played on the basketball team this year) will come out for football. He is a great athlete that would pair well with Moore and Faulkner in the receiving corps. Braxton Bradshaw and Dee Smith will be capable running backs. Braxton Bradshaw will anchor the defense next year at LB. Mercer's success next year will hinge upon the play of their offensive and defensive line.

Whatever direction Coach Buchanan goes in will be the BEST for the Titan program. If the community and all involved will get behind him, beautiful things will probably happen. It takes a village to run a football program! He's got some good pieces (coaches) already at Mercer I believe that will be by his side and ready to put in the work needed.

Anyone on this thread who can give me some description of the type of offense / defense Coach Buchanan ran at Mason County?

At Mason County, coach B ran multiple offenses from the Power I to doubles and trips mostly a spread type offense. On D the Royals usually ran a 4-4 cover 3.

Then it won't be that much different from what Pardue was doing defensively or offensively.

Actually, after seeing a bit more of the plans for the offense, I think Coach B's offense is going to be more run-heavy than Coach Pardue's was. Coach Pardue liked one-back and empty sets. The part of Coach Buchanan's offense I've seen so far puts more people in the box and more backs in the backfield. Not saying one is better than the other. If you have good blocking backs, put them in the backfield. If your backs can't block, spread them out in formation and take a defender out of the box.

Actually, after seeing a bit more of the plans for the offense, I think Coach B's offense is going to be more run-heavy than Coach Pardue's was. Coach Pardue liked one-back and empty sets. The part of Coach Buchanan's offense I've seen so far puts more people in the box and more backs in the backfield. Not saying one is better than the other. If you have good blocking backs, put them in the backfield. If your backs can't block, spread them out in formation and take a defender out of the box.

 

Offensively what makes Coach B's offenses so tough to defend is how multiple his sets and personnel are. He's big on personnel, and you have to stay on top of who is in the game. I don't know how he keeps track of who is in, because it sure is hard to defensively. May not run a ton of different plays, but can give you a million looks. He'll find the look he wants to give his best plays a chance to work.

They will be successful next year. A healthy Davis along with D Smith, Braxton Bradshaw, Trevon Faulkner, and Dustin Baker, you have all the playmakers you need. If they could somehow get the best Athlete in the school out to play (Tanner Robins) they could be really dangerous. I want be suprised if Mercer isn't playing on the day after Thanksgiving next year. I'm sure Coach B will have them playing at a high level on both sides of the ball.

They will be successful next year. A healthy Davis along with D Smith, Braxton Bradshaw, Trevon Faulkner, and Dustin Baker, you have all the playmakers you need. If they could somehow get the best Athlete in the school out to play (Tanner Robins) they could be really dangerous. I want be suprised if Mercer isn't playing on the day after Thanksgiving next year. I'm sure Coach B will have them playing at a high level on both sides of the ball.

 

Tanner Robins playing is still very doubtful as of today but a lot of people, including myself, have our fingers crossed. I'll be surprised if he plays but a guy can and will dream that he does. At the same time I understand why and he has to take care of himself the best way he can. Bright bright future ahead for him.

 

I keep hearing about a kid named Aubrey who is expected to be good and I am hearing that Malik Dow is playing also.

They certainly have a favorable district... That is helpful.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.