Tyler Smith to Iowa

02Ram54

Phil Jones alot of it is grades. Tubby was on him before Smith now Tubby will be all over him after Smith shafted us.

Sims is rumored to be headed back west. I would say Sims is 60% gone 40% still here.

As for Smith I think it was Tubby's slow grind it out win style that killed us. It kills us every year with recruits.

No, Iowa had been with Tyler Smith for a long and consistent period of time. UK got into the game way too late and it seemed as if they didn't stay consistent. In the end that won out.

Style of play is not hurting UK recruiting. It is organization and identifying their top targets and consistently going after them with some fervor.

Far too often their lack of organazition has hurt them.

That is OTS's fault and fault of those working under him.

However, as the spring wound down OTS has been hitting the trail more than he has in the past. It seems as if the Patterson kid from WV is one of their top targets and OTS was there in person again yesterday.

From what I have heard is that he has put the sticks away and is going at it pretty hard, recruiting that is.

Interesting to see Shawn FInney was at the Kingwood Classic. Some have thought he may be one of the new assistant coaches if one departs.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Iowa had been with Tyler Smith for a long and consistent period of time. UK got into the game way too late and it seemed as if they didn't stay consistent. In the end that won out.

Style of play is not hurting UK recruiting. It is organization and identifying their top targets and consistently going after them with some fervor.

Far too often their lack of organazition has hurt them.

That is OTS's fault and fault of those working under him.

However, as the spring wound down OTS has been hitting the trail more than he has in the past. It seems as if the Patterson kid from WV is one of their top targets and OTS was there in person again yesterday.

From what I have heard is that he has put the sticks away and is going at it pretty hard, recruiting that is.

Interesting to see Shawn FInney was at the Kingwood Classic. Some have thought he may be one of the new assistant coaches if one departs.

Style of play has alot to do with it. Nobody wants to hear Tubby's "come play defense for me" Also Tubby is one of the few coaches with a big program who rather stay away from attention. He probably wouldn't play one nationally televised game if he didn't haev too, if you going to sit there and say organization then wow. You make it sound like we got a bunch of newbs trying to recruit for us. This isn't a first year program.

Style of play has alot to do with it. Nobody wants to hear Tubby's "come play defense for me" Also Tubby is one of the few coaches with a big program who rather stay away from attention. He probably wouldn't play one nationally televised game if he didn't haev too, if you going to sit there and say organization then wow. You make it sound like we got a bunch of newbs trying to recruit for us. This isn't a first year program.

The kid signed at IOWA. You have to come stronger than that...

Seriously though, if you look at the schools that this kid was interested in than you would realize that he would have liked the "style of play" that Tubby has in place at UK. He was interested in Iowa (the winner), UK, UC, Pitt, and Memphis.

I know that someone said this already but I will say it again. If you take Memphis out of the equation, than look at the remaining schools that he was interested in, then you would realize that all those schools play pretty much the same style of OTS does at UK. So I think you can take "style of play" and throw that right out of the window in this instance.

I would have really liked to had got Smith. Hes a great athlete from what I understand and according to Rivals he had improved his stock in the rankings. But I think we will be okay without him. And now UK fans can just hope the next class will see us land a Gary Johnson or another top notch prospect.

As for this class, it appears Phil Jones is the only guy left that we still may get. If Morris was to turn pro after next season Carter would be our only center so getting him maybe very important for us down the road. Even though he may not qualify academically.

Seriously though, if you look at the schools that this kid was interested in than you would realize that he would have liked the "style of play" that Tubby has in place at UK. He was interested in Iowa (the winner), UK, UC, Pitt, and Memphis.

I know that someone said this already but I will say it again. If you take Memphis out of the equation, than look at the remaining schools that he was interested in, then you would realize that all those schools play pretty much the same style of OTS does at UK. So I think you can take "style of play" and throw that right out of the window in this instance.

I got lost in this thread. I am not necessarily refering to only Smith. I know for certain other recruits didn't come because of style of play.

Tubbys style might make every now and then a few kids not want to come here, but usually the style of play we use here is not the problem. Actually are style of play actually is usually pretty good except for last year. Yeah its not Pitinos style but it is still a pretty good style! The main problem with the recruiting IMO is the assistant coaches, and that is Tubbys fault because he is to loyal and needs to clean house and get him some new hot shot assistants!

What makes you think that he would want to stay away from attention, has he said that before? I really dont know if he has that is why Im asking. But I just think If he didn't want to have attention on him then he would have never came to UK!

Tubbys style might make every now and then a few kids not want to come here, but usually the style of play we use here is not the problem. Actually are style of play actually is usually pretty good except for last year. Yeah its not Pitinos style but it is still a pretty good style! The main problem with the recruiting IMO is the assistant coaches, and that is Tubbys fault because he is to loyal and needs to clean house and get him some new hot shot assistants!

What makes you think that he would want to stay away from attention, has he said that before? I really dont know if he has that is why Im asking. But I just think If he didn't want to have attention on him then he would have never came to UK!

The UK job is the UK job. Roman Empire of college bball. He wanted a new challenge and to go down in history as he will. However, he is a very low key guy. Some people just like that personality. Others rather be on tv yaking all the time.

• 5 months later...